PDA

View Full Version : The times they are a changin'

Ozzy
28th Oct 2005, 15:07
Seems that from 2007, DST in the US will begin the second Sunday in March instead of the first Sunday in April and end on the first Sunday in November instead of the last Sunday in October.

Has the UK and other parts of Europe adopted those same dates or are they sticking to the current arrangement?

Ozzy

Rollingthunder
28th Oct 2005, 15:13
Well we're all arguing about it up here where all your winter weather comes from. Hey, it's better than those hurricanes you get from elsewhere.

The SSK
28th Oct 2005, 15:20
For goodness' sake, if they are thinking of changing, why not take this opportunity to line themselves up with just about every other country in the world that has DST?

Back in the 1980s (at least I think it was that far back) I was instrumental in getting the UK in line with Europe. The EU were preparing the Directive which would implement the change, but they were saying that it needed a lead time of several years, mainly because the airlines needed that long to coordinate their schedules.

After consultation with several carriers I wrote a memo saying that was utter bollocks, the disparity between the UK and the Continent over the clock change (we're not talking about the time difference here) was a scheduling nightmare for the airlines, essentially it meant they had to have a third timetable season. The memo got passed on to the EU and the change came through in 18 months.

Mariner9
28th Oct 2005, 15:50
Don't know why we bother going back to GMT. How many kids walk to school these days? 4 x 4's have got headlights haven't they :confused: