PDA

View Full Version : Jan Smuts ... JHB Int ... ? Ekurhuleni Int ? Oliver Tambo Int ?

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 11:30
:mad: eck :mad: what's next ? Imagine they make it Ekurhuleni ... the International Tourists will love it - so easy on the tongue as :ok:

The ANC-dominated Ekurhuleni metropolitan council has passed a resolution to rename Johannesburg International Airport the O R Tambo International Airport.

The resolution was adopted at Thursday's council meeting despite stiff opposition from the Democratic Alliance.

Executive mayor Duma Nkosi gave notice to the council earlier this month that he and city manager Paul Maseko wanted to put the proposal to the cabinet.

Discussions were held between the mayor, the Airports Company of South Africa (Acsa) and the ministry of transport regarding the proposed name change.

"Throughout the history and the development of South Africa, the name 'Johannesburg' has grown to become associated with the Joburg metro, and all the other facilities within that metro, including the airport.

African Tech Rep
28th Oct 2005, 12:41
How are they going to make sure people use the name.

Few people actually call it Jan Smuts – I’ve given up telling people I live near Jan Smuts I now tell them JoBug International and avoid the “oh where’s that / is it busy” questions.

Still while they were discussing this they weren’t discussing ways to over charge us residents for our “services”.

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 13:10
Sorry to the political correct oke's out there.

Jan Smuts will remain Jan Smuts or Smuts to me - finished.

SA Airforce made a boboo again ... tried to be fancy and quickly changed AFB Louis Trichardt to Makhado.

When I was in LTT in June I spoke to a Chief there ... very little Venda's wanted Louis Trichardt to be renamed - never mind the AFB!

I speak under correction but they even made a court case against it and won ??? (under correction) :ok:

B Sousa
28th Oct 2005, 13:22
Guns, at least Im sure your not surprised at this most recent attempt to change things.. Maybe even change it to "Tambos Tarmac" Sort of a casual sound to me......
Its gonna happen boys and girls as those who are running the show, are running the show, everyone else is along for the ride.....

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 13:24
God Bless the Spanish State of America in 2050 :E

ok ok ok ... sorry B.Sousa ;)

African Tech Rep
28th Oct 2005, 13:37
Wonder when they’ll realise South Africa isn’t a “local term” – what will your ID’s and Passports say in the future ??

It will of course need to be a mix of all “official languages” and the words they use to describe this piece of land or they could just rename it “madibaland” :E :E :E :\

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 13:45
Since I was a pickin it was said one day it will be "AZANIA" :yuk:

krobar
28th Oct 2005, 14:00
To think a coupla years ago Shuster's movie was considired satire...

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 14:02
..and "Lady Chatterly's Lover" a comic strip :E

B Sousa
28th Oct 2005, 14:32
God Bless the Spanish State of America in 2050

No arguement from me.................I always said We are far from perfect..

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 14:34
Damn I was looking for one .... Friday PM and prayer day .. everything closed ... nothing else to do :E

cavortingcheetah
28th Oct 2005, 15:52
;)

I greatly fear that you gentlemen have it all wrong. But, since you are all reasonable fellows, with one or two exceptions, I shall endeavour to enlighten you all.

I have it from the very highest authority that the international airport at Johannesburg - FAJS- Jan Smuts, which is what I shall always call it is to be renamed.

Do you sensibly propose to call it Oliver Tambo (whoever he might have been?)

FAOT ? (Sies?)?

( Covent Garden chippie: Two faggots, chips and mushy peas please).

No, surely not even the Aweful Nattering Classes could be so dense?

Jan Christiaan Smuts (1870-1950) is one of the great unsung Africa heroes.
He didn't like Cecil Rhodes too much and became an outstanding guerilla leader fighting for the Boers. Eventually he became a true friend to the Commonwealth and was made a British field marshall in 1941, when WW11 raged.
Perhaps more than any single man in any century; he made great efforts to wield together the British and the Dutch. It might be said, to his detriment, that he did little to tackle the racial problem. In such a small failing, he is no doubt followed to this very day by those in power in South South Africa who, really, should know better. A man of subtle and agile intelligence he was more honest than most, although his outwitted and dimwitted opponents would oft cast him as duplicitous.
But to return to the prospective nomenclature of the Johannesburg International Airport. My sources inform me that it is shortly to be renamed :
'The Lady Victoria Jane Buxton International Airport.'
Thereby, perhaps, placing an entirely new ramification into the concepts of international landing systems. What. Damnme, must fly off, to Barbados this time!
Toodle Pip.:p

B Sousa
28th Oct 2005, 16:36
As in the acronym KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid, lets just call it the African Regional Terminal or FART

Gerard123
28th Oct 2005, 20:14
Oh yes, we are not worthy !!! CC your posts make me roll around with laughter, keep them coming :8

captain cumulonimbus
29th Oct 2005, 11:53
CC,i must agree,your command of the english language is formidable,to say the very least! My word,i'd hate to hear you over R/T though!

Keep it coming,its great light relief!

PS: In my humble opinion,naming ANYTHING after a political figure is a big mistake.It really yells "third world" or "one-party state",and,nomatter how long it takes,times eventually DO change,and political regimes with them,so in 40 years time,it may well become "T.Leon Int'l" (just a thought!).

Using political names is silly!

MysticFlyer
30th Oct 2005, 07:52
On May 31, 1902 fighting stopped. A piece treaty was signed by Lord kitchener, Chief of Staff, held out his hand to the Boer delegates. "We are all good friends now," he said. Of all the lies told during the conflict, this was the biggest! The British had lost 22 000, the Boers 24 000 of whom, 20 000......

Only a few Brits gained any repute from that conflict...Winston...after a daring escape from a Boer prison....Baden-Powell.....the Boy Scout guy....and a certain Lord Milner, the HC, determined to maintain British rule from Cape Town to Zambezi.

Perhaps the greatest truimphs were enjoyed by the Randlords, who retained their mines and their bank accounts and their friendships with the Crown. The gold and diamond mines reopened, and more of the profits flowed to the companies Cecil Rhodes (the Colossus) had founded.

From the Boer ranks only one man, a steely officer named Jan Smuts, emerged as a leader with a global reputation - mason links.

Much would be heard from him in the next decade. Fitting to name an airport after him.

Queen Victoria (not to confused with a certain Lady) and Cecil Rhodes had expired during that conflict, and with them had died the Cape-to-Cairo fantasy....exit Rhodes, enter Hoggenheimer!

You see CC, history lessons is one thing, but they should always be seen within the contexts.
:8

No wonder the Bantu is so cross these days.....:ooh:

B Sousa
30th Oct 2005, 13:27
Mystic One. You didnt finish one of the sentences. "the Boers 24 000 of whom 20 000 ........."

Maybe that was "were lost in concentration camps, not in battle??
or are the numbers mistaken.

The Claw
30th Oct 2005, 16:38
Apart from "Jan Smuts", what did the others do for aviation in SA?

To me it will always be Jan Smuts:ok:

captain cumulonimbus
30th Oct 2005, 21:31
Picture this:

Afganbekistani Air 123: "Joburg good morning,level 310"

Joburg:"Good morning,confirm destination"

AFG123:"Ekhurulenni"

Joburg"Pardon me sir?"

AFG123:"Ekhuruleni! Ekhuruleni"

Joburg:"I 'll raise a full emergency right away sir,confirm is there anybody on the flightdeck who isn't choking?"

MysticFlyer
31st Oct 2005, 01:54
Yes Bert, remember, this is a rumour network, after all.

In respect of information gathering is concerned, take the message back to the States one day, I'm not insulting your intelligence, but sometimes I really have to wonder.

In order to fully interpret what is being said on a rumour network, one has to sometimes look at information gathered outside of the network.

It would seem some guys is sitting on company servers, misses a post or two, then feels gung-ho to respond, weapons blazing without having a clue of the matter at hand and creating a picture based on very limited resources. Well, sort of to be expected here, hey?

Anyway, integrate first, (well big word too), then you'll have a proper view of the history and past events that have led to a current situation, but then again, I'm sure your knowledge about the USA is limited too, and here again, I'm not refering to your mental capabilities, just a very narrow outlook in life.

Have a great one

fluffyfan
31st Oct 2005, 05:22
Putting history aside, Who built the airport?

Imagine places like London, Paris, New York had to have a name change with every consecutive change of Government

Jacobest
1st Nov 2005, 12:16
With all the crime going on in Jo-burg international, I say it is a great thing to honor such a crime invested sess pool to rename it to Oliver Tambo.

Think about it, now you can say that your bag was nicked at "Oliver’s place"

But seriously, I don’t think these council people realize the financial implications around this.
:ok:

boyracer
1st Nov 2005, 12:38
TAMBO TOWER ..... has a nice little ZOO like ring to it. I guess it could be a zoo check out some of the Baboons running the various operators :confused:

Stayinalive
3rd Nov 2005, 06:05
"Good morning ladies and gentlemen...we sincerely hope you have had a pleasant flight and a good nights rest"

Sounds of engines being throttled back and desent being commenced.

"We have started our desent and will hopefully be on the ground in 25 minutes at South Africa's premier gateway international airport namely 'Mabosi soek n Laptop en Kamera' aptly named so as to integrate you in to our customs and culture as soon as you arrive"

Joy and elation amongst the passengers as they appreciate the contribution they are going to make to the African cause very shortly.

"Please raise your seat backs and stow your tray tables in preparation for landing. We hope you have a pleasant experience...Thank you"

reptile
3rd Nov 2005, 09:42
You gotta love it!!!:ok: :ok:

Beechjet
21st Nov 2005, 10:25
Hmmm, Mabosi soek alles...damn right...with the current ground handlers helping themselves to some ''duty free'' or is that ''duty bound'' shopping...the legacy of OT will live on.

Can't these idiots understand the economic impact this name change is going to have...e.g stockbroker in the LSE or perhaps the NYSE advicing his cliental well lets see we can buy up 500 000 shares in Ekhurleni (Pity Why limited). Response 'Are you absolutely nuts'. Where is that? .....

Just leave the name Johannesburg International Airport. After all the CAA is still trying to find this airport, imagine the caous if the names changed, they probably head north of Tshwane...another brilliant name change to find Ekhurleni...imagine the look when they find themselve on the door step of our dear Uncle Bobs airport....

And to think I pay taxes......

B Sousa
21st Nov 2005, 13:49
And to think I pay taxes......

BJ
A small statement with a lot in it. Think of it, who is the taxbase in SA today?? what will happen if the taxbase gets offshore??
Taxpayers are the only reason that the Government has the luxury of changing things.
You should also not be surprised that this is occurring. As in "Its their turn" ??
Its gonna happen. As a friend of mine said, who cares. Before this there were others who named things as they pleased, who knows it will probably change again.
Anyway I thought the Airport was named Jan Smuts International, what happened??

Airforce1
21st Nov 2005, 21:15
I still tend to call it Jan Smuts from time to time, but this government really will do anything to abolish something colonial.

We sit back and watch streets,cities,suburbs,submarines,B747's all get renamed so that all is moved away from a previous political era in the interest of equality (eventhough some of these names are non politically related). Then a "neutral" name such as Jhb Int is to be renamed to political figure.
It's just not right-It's two faced!, we can't change their decision.

But all I think is how many of you have flown into some African state looked on the Jepp and not even been able to pronounce the long winded name given to the airport by some previous local figure-You still call the airport by the city's name and not the given airport name.
So let them have their O. T. airport, but many a pilot will still call it Jan Smuts (and its not cos they necessary supported the apartheid era....hmmm rather strange when something sticks!)
Besides who's gonna complain, all those homeless people who's new houses have been put on hold while the government settles the 1.5 billion rand cost of changing Pretoria's name.:confused:

B200Drvr
22nd Nov 2005, 10:16
Nice apolitical names!!! whats next?? our apolitical money being changed to have the face of some person who has no meaning to most of the country. I think there should be no airports named after any person living or dead that has any association to a political party.
Andy

Spanish Flyboy
22nd Nov 2005, 12:15
I am thinking that a father of a country maybe but probably not but a good ole boy party member which just says hooray for our side,,,,,,, no way. Airport is larger than a person. JIA says enough.
S Fb

B Sousa
22nd Nov 2005, 12:15
face of some person who has no meaning to most of the country.

As I said before, its loks like its "their Turn". Seriously do you believe that if you did an interview in one of the townships that a majority of the young folks would know Jan Smuts?? I dont know, as Im not from there, but I am curious as to an opinion.
I agree that the sad part is the cost and waste of money to go through all these changes. Things happen.

krobar
22nd Nov 2005, 12:53
I can just see the Jepp updates again, and again, and again... and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...and again, and again and again...

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Nov 2005, 15:37
Don't know why they're bothering. SA is going the same way as Zim and will have the national carrier grounded due to lack of fuel one of these days.

No one around to bail us out the way we're bailing out Mad Bob and his thugs.:(

African Tech Rep
1st Dec 2005, 15:32
Well if you don’t like the idea you have until 11:00 on the 9th of December to get your say in.

Send appropriate comments to :-
The Director General
Department of Transport
Private Bag X193
Pretoria

Due to “time constraints” they will also accept comments sent to “the metro’s speakers office” Germinston Civic Centre, c/o Queen and Cross Street or by e-mail to [email protected]

Before anyone says “waste of time – they’ll do what they like” – this maybe true but if you don’t try you can’t moan after the fact.

African Tech Rep
6th Dec 2005, 07:44
Well I’ve done my bit – at least now if they change it I can moan as much as I like.

Times short – get your say in

Mr Moderator – her name is public and mail is “standard reply” – so I belive posting is within the rules – if I’m wrong = sorry

Dear Stephen
Thanks for your comments, these will be frowarded to the Department of Transport.
Ntombi Mekgwe - Speaker

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:43 AM
To: Ntombi Mekgwe
Subject: Airport name change
I would like to register an objection to the proposed name change.

Whilst I recognise the need to ensure the names of those involved in the struggle are not forgotten I do feel the cost involved could be better utilised - I belive Mr Tambo would have preferred the funds to be utilised to better the lives of his fellow countrymen, maybe in the form of sports and cultural / community centres which could then carry his name.

In addition to this I feel it will cause confusion to those overseas - I travel quite frequently and have found few know Johannesburg International is called "Jan Smuts", everyone simply calls it Johannesburg International or JoBurg and no matter what it is called most foreigners will continue calling it Johannesburg International - making a name change not cost efficient unless backed with an even more expensive "publicity and education programme".

Best Regards

Gunship
10th Jan 2006, 16:15
Well the end is not in sight ... rumour it was ... now it seems a reality !

Johannesburg - Ekurhuleni mayor Duma ka Nkosi says the process of renaming Johannesburg International Airport to OR Tambo International is at an advanced stage, the SABC reported on Tuesday.

Ka Nkosi said a formal request already had been submitted to the departments of transport and arts and culture to effect the name change.

The metro said naming the airport after the late African National Congress stalwart had political and historic significance.

Ka Nkosi said the use of resources for the name change did not necessarily affect service delivery.

He said public opinion was gauged on the matter last month.

The airport is known as Johannesburg International Airport, although it is located in Kempton Park - which has confused some visitors.

It was previously known as Jan Smuts International Airport, after the World War II prime minister, but was renamed in the mid-1990s when it was said airports should be named after their localities and not politicians.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Politics/0,6119,2-7-12_1860827,00.html

MysticFlyer
10th Jan 2006, 20:21
Betcha more reflectives knows who he is.....what he did, is even a bigger mystery to the majority!

Try your fellow countrymen. Quick, top off the cranium, fingers on the table!