PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hawke lambasts John Howard over ‘immoral’ individual contracts legislation.

Spad
28th Oct 2005, 07:15
(Dear Woomeri. this has EVERYTHING to do with Australian Aviation and its current sorry state.

Here’s a headline that should get the 89ers slavering at the mouth. Ex Prime Minister Bob Hawke lambasts the current government over their ‘immoral’ labour market reforms that encourage (gasp!) individual contracts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200510/s1491550.htm

Hawke slams 'immoral' IR changes
Former Prime Minister Bob Hawke has delivered a stinging rebuke of the Federal Government's industrial relations changes.
In the annual Lionel Murphy lecture in Sydney, Mr Hawke described the changes as an attempt to destroy the trade union movement and the arbitration system.
He says the claim by the Prime Minister John Howard that real wages have risen more under his government than under the previous Labor governments, is one of the most cynical and dishonest pieces of politicking in Australian history.
"We did the hard policy work, unionists made the sacrifice, which have created a strong economy which can now afford these real wage increases," he said.
"Instead of being grateful, John Howard now launches the most vicious attack upon them."
Mr Hawke says the workplace changes were an attempt to destroy the arbitration system and the trade union movement.
"It is wrong. It is unfair. It is un-Australian. It is immoral," he said.
He says the laws will allow employers to use individual workplace agreements to cut workers' pay and conditions, such as public holidays, penalties and meal breaks.
And he took issue with the proposed Fair Pay Commission.
"This is simply a monstrous trick on the least privileged workers in our society," he said.
He says the laws are an assault on the core Australian notions of a fair go, and the belief that governments should protect the most vulnerable.
But federal Treasurer Peter Costello is confident the public will see the wisdom of the Government's IR reforms once they have been implemented.
Labor says it will campaign against the measures right up until the next election, but Mr Costello believes by then all the fuss will have blown over.
"My view is that when the legislation takes effect and when people see it won't diminish wages and conditions and when they see that in fact more job opportunities will be offered then they'll say well what was that all about," he said.It would seem that even Rhodes Scholars have (conveniently selective) memory lapses in their dotage.

HI'er
28th Oct 2005, 07:47
Does anyone take notice, or really care, what that silly old bugger says anymore!

Buster Hyman
28th Oct 2005, 07:47
Even Reagan had a better memory than that!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/mad.gif

Woomera
28th Oct 2005, 07:54
Spad

Point made! :ok:

OK, just as long as we don't go down that path.

bonvol
28th Oct 2005, 11:40
This takes the cake....unbelievable.

This bloke should be in the Guinness book of records as the worlds greatest hypocrite.

Pinky the pilot
28th Oct 2005, 12:08
I was working for a now defunct organisation in PNG back in the early 90's when the country was blessed(?) with a visit by the silver bodgie and I still remember how a plan was made for all of the pilots available at the time to line the road as RJLH was being driven to his hotel.
As he passed we were all to turn our backs, drop our strides and...:E :E :E :E
Regrettably; it did'nt happen!!:{ :{ :{ :{

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Vorsicht
28th Oct 2005, 12:32
There is an important message in here. Hawke is lots of things, but he isn't stupid.

What he is clearly showing here is that politicians (and by default CEO's because they have to play politics) will say whatever they have to, at the time, to achieve the currently desired outcome.

Truth, morals, principles are nowhere in sight, and never will be. It is just politics (or business)

So for anyone who is waiting for truth, justice and the aussie way to prevail is living in a state of denial.

Binoculars
28th Oct 2005, 13:45
Must confess I was waiting to see how long this would take to turn up here! :}

tinpis
28th Oct 2005, 22:08
The industrial accord of '89 springs to mind.

gets hat....

elektra
28th Oct 2005, 22:13
Be fair to him please,

Even under the harsh cold constraints of the "Accord" unconstitutional though it was in the extreme, The then PM, our beloved Robert, offered me a pay raise, during the Dispute, of well over 50%. Now that's not a bad offer......as it happens for a few personal reasons (integrity, loyalty, solidarity etc) I rejected it.....but the truth is the poor bastard actualy went way beyond the stupid rhetoric that his minions belched, and saw that money was the key to everything.

I just wish could have seen things his way. I coulda been really really rich.

Still, I sleep at night. And the 777 is truly awesome.

Oz Ocker
28th Oct 2005, 23:17
Hawkie's justa political animal an an actor.
'e blows with the wind and changes 'is tune to suit whoevers forking the dosh outta to 'im at the time.

Ya gotta pity a man who aint 'is own master but's a slave to whoever buys 'im, ta trot 'im out fer a performance.
gerryatric old b:mad:stard.

Be seein youse round.

Going Boeing
29th Oct 2005, 00:21
I recall in the late sixties when I was but a young pup and Hawke was the leader of the ACTU, my father was asked what he thought about Hawkes "intervention" in a recent union-management dispute. His reply, "Hawke is a mealy-mouthed hypocrite" is indelibly imprinted in my mind and history has proven just how astute my father was. GB

J430
29th Oct 2005, 11:45
Going Boeing

Mate we must be of similar vintage, I recall as a very young pup watching BOB (Boozie Old Bottle), in Black & White on TV during his ACTU days saying something like "I will bring this country to its knees " and sure enough, in quite a few ways he eventually did..... and its taken a long time to recover!

J:}

Some might not like what we have now....But its beter than what we had then, or any current alternative. EOM

Fantome
30th Oct 2005, 20:19
. . . . charisma and bull**** is home to that hombre so huge in hubris.

In John Clarke's "Even More Complete Book of Australian Verse" is a parody of an AA Milne poem, (the one about James James Morrison Morrison). The incomparable Clarke ascribes his version to RACV Milne. Other adaptions of the parodist are 'Stumpy' Byron, 'Shagger' Tennyson and Walter Burley Yeats.

Here is "OBVIOUSNESS" by RACV Milne:

Rob, Rob, Bobbitty, Bobbitty, James Lee Hawke, MP,

Took great care of his image,

Because he was quick to see,

That if you are photographed standing with blokes

Whose boats do well on the sea,

Millions of voters'll fail to notice

The blokes will be charging a fee.

king oath
1st Nov 2005, 00:12
Having presided over the ACTU during the days when unions went on strike at the drop of a hat, old uncle Bobby became PM.

Then to suit his aims, he set the precedent that companies can sue unions and individual workers for damages, much to the horror of Shirley Temple and his mates at the ACTU, in those days.
Trouble was, the ACTU couldn't be seen to back the AFAP in its struggle with Bobby Boy.

Nowdays they are sh*t scared of being sued, unless the action is as a result of EBA bargaining.