PDA

View Full Version : farewell the ferry tobacco run

ORAC
28th Oct 2005, 07:21
The customs and Excise will be happy, but not the cigarette stores on the French-Belgian border....

France outlaws tobacco tourism (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-1846565,00.html)

NOBODY in France will be allowed to carry more than ten packets of cigarettes outside their home under a Bill passed by parliament yesterday........

IB4138
28th Oct 2005, 08:14
Lets see if the European Parliament jumps all over them.......I do'nt think so!:suspect:

Stockpicker
28th Oct 2005, 08:40
Reminds me that only last week I was at the DF shop at Palma, and behind me was a BMI (I think) CC with THREE baskets, all full to overflowing with fags! There's a girl with a habit, thinks I (or a lot of very unhealthy friends ......). :D

Daysleeper
28th Oct 2005, 08:47
Just go to ostend instead!

Better still breach the new rules, get nicked and sue under your human right to kill yourself(or the right to free movement of goods and services)
Get vast payout. Bargin.

Parapunter
28th Oct 2005, 08:53
Doubt the hosties'll be bothered. Met one a wee while back from a v prominent UK charter outfit who told me that smuggling ciggies is a v lucrative sideline - they can buy em for 15 quid for 200 & knock em out for 30 notes - she told me that one guy bought an Audi TT on the proceeds over three yrs worth of it.

No idea if that was true or not, but I've got me application in anyway.

Anyone got a light?

chiglet
28th Oct 2005, 12:42
I don't think that these "hosties" are smuggling. The new laws state that you can bring 3000+ fags into the UK...as long as they are DUTY PAID . [This excludes the Canaries and Channel Islands, I think]
watp,iktch

tony draper
28th Oct 2005, 12:53
Greedy bastids, I only pay 24 quid for mine.
:cool:

RJM
28th Oct 2005, 12:54
I'm surprised that you Europeans are still allowed to post randomly on an internet forum without ref to EU Directive 99/989/EEC issued pursuant to ISO 90000 etc etc etc let alone smuggle a few smokes. :}

Stockpicker
28th Oct 2005, 13:03
Actually, RJM, the relevant legislation (European Directive on Electronic Information 2003, subsection 4: Internet Usage, para 23: Message Boards) is required reading for all Europeans prior to posting and pops up automatically the first time you try to post to any message board.

:8 :hmm:

RJM
28th Oct 2005, 13:28
I thought as much. Stockpicker, when you've had enough of the cold and damp, and being told what to do, come down here and get a bit of sun! Endless beaches, cold beer, great wines, cheap, fresh food and low cost of living, plenty of jobs plus we almost speak your language!

Stockpicker
28th Oct 2005, 13:33
It's a kind offer! The only thing which puts me off is the industrial strength creepy crawlies you folks have - almost as creepy as this thread!!

RJM
28th Oct 2005, 13:36
Whoops! I may possibly be partially responsible for bringing up dropbears - all rubbish really, and I may also be responsible for a little thread creep. I'm sneaking off now...but consider Australia next time you're struggling along Princes St in the rain!

Send Clowns
28th Oct 2005, 13:57
Ah, so watch for a jump in police corruption. They already try to "confiscate" tobacco off British tourists without giving a receipt, so they can sell it on. What is it about governments at the moment, with laws enacted that will only bring the rule of law into disrepute?

Wyler
28th Oct 2005, 14:07
No room for fags in my van anyway, those Moroccan fruit pickers take up an awful lot of room.

Lon More
28th Oct 2005, 15:05
Ex Mrs. More mkII found out that P**sil washing powder was cheaper in France than UK so have to bring back about 50 Kilo of that every two months. Really makes the sniffer dogs sneeze so they don't look any further.
Don't think the French will be falling over themselves to enforce this law anyway.