PDA

View Full Version : To let - nuclear bunker, with pub

ORAC
28th Oct 2005, 06:10
The Times: To let - nuclear bunker, with pub

The Ministry of Defence is seeking new tenants for a secret underground city, built to shelter the Government in the event of nuclear war, which is now surplus to requirements.

The site at Corsham, Wiltshire, is large enough to house 4,000 government personnel. Completed in 1961, it covers hundreds of acres and is connected by ten miles of tunnels. As well as two railway stations and a reservoir, the sunken suburb 120ft (37m) below ground even has a pub. The site was decommissioned last year, and the MoD now wants proposals from private investors with “creative” ideas on how it could be transformed.

Jock Fraser, chairman of Corsham Town Council, said: “For years the Government denied it was even there but all the talk in local pubs was that if anything did happen, we knew where it was.

“The politicians might have built it for themselves but we were going to make sure we got there before them.”........... :}

Wyler
28th Oct 2005, 12:15
Fill it full of Civil Servants and then seal the bloody thing forever.

Pontius Navigator
28th Oct 2005, 20:15
Wyler, careful. AVOs and SGBs are civil servant. Now you wouldn't want to start an ATC-FC war would you?

Melchett01
28th Oct 2005, 20:29
Now you wouldn't want to start an ATC-FC war would you?

Why ever not???? I can think of a few members of each of those branches that deserve to be locked in an underground bunker to fight it out between themselves :}

16 blades
28th Oct 2005, 21:34
Never mind the civil serpents - put the entire current Labour administration down there, seal it, and pipe in all of their speeches and soundbites made during the last 10 years on a looped tape. They can then stay there forever, surrounded by the warm glow of their own bullsh1t, comfortable in their invincibility and omnipotence.....

....just a suggestion...

16B

uknasa
28th Oct 2005, 22:00
Alternatively 16B, fill it with with the failed FJ aircrew that end up flying freight from Wiltshire - jobs that could, dare I say, be fulfilled even by civil serpants. Await b%llsh*t reply from the combat pilot who obviously has too much spare time given the number of posts in here!!!

Given the record of succesive Tory administrations, are you sure your job flying fake dog *****e wil be safe 16B?

Lyneham Lad
28th Oct 2005, 22:06
uknasa is'nt aka Southside is he?:bored:

16 blades
28th Oct 2005, 22:22
failed FJ aircrew

Interesting. I think you'll find the majority at LYE now haven't been chopped anywhere.

If you are going to post naked insults about the job a particular fleet does, it's normally good practice to actually KNOW what they do - which you obviously don't.

You just keep on staring out of your office window and making "WHOOSH!" noises with your pen and ruler, old chap.

are you sure your job flying fake dog *****e wil be safe 16B?

Far safer (and much more interesting and rewarding) than yours, judging by your lack of basic service knowledge.....

16B

Onan the Clumsy
29th Oct 2005, 02:47
the sunken suburb 120ft (37m) below ground even has a pubIf they'd built it in Cornwall or Yorkshire, they could have saved the money it took to put it underground.

Molesworth Hold
29th Oct 2005, 07:05
The site at Corsham was built in the former Bathstone quarries. I believe that in World War 2 it was an underground aircraft factory. I only went there once, I expected it to be like the set of a James Bond movie, I was somewhat disappointed.
http://bathstonequarries.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/BURLINGTON.htm

STANDTO
29th Oct 2005, 10:16
that is an absolutely fascinating website. How many more of these sites are there around the British Isles?

They were going to build one at the bottom of the Sulby reservoir dam wall here on the isle of man, but decided against it, as they reckoned it would take too long to get everyone (the politicians) there.

And the place is only 33 miles by 13!!!!

Roland Pulfrew
29th Oct 2005, 10:38
Anyone seen the "numberplate" on the back of the yellow tug in the 'Roads' section of the link posted by MH?

That will get the conspiracy theorists talking.....:E

TacLan
29th Oct 2005, 12:45
Stando wrote

Try http://www.subbrit.org.uk

Peace dividend.......instant sunshine anyone?:cool:

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 09:55
I'm sitting in one now and its bloody freezing. Roll on 5 O'clock.

Pontius and Melchett

Females only, covered in swarfega, last one naked looses.

sparkie
30th Oct 2005, 15:13
Ah yes remember the Corsham comples well. Did 2 years as a 'mushroom' with a Signal Unit underground.

Most vivid memories are of entering the lift to go to work, then descending to the depths! Doing shifts you lost track of whether it was day or night, and in the DSM's cabin the fast expresses using the adjacent London to Bath line could be heard regularly rumbling by.

I often took a stroll inside the complex on nights to keep myself awake. Bit bl**dy spooky at times! Nicest feeling? ascending in the lift to go off shift!! or to raise the RAF ensign outside the complex.

Worst feeling, once when the lift failed and we were stuck in there for 2 hours, not recommended for those with a claustrohobic persuasion!! Funnily enough we were never asked if we suffered from such a phobia before being posted there!!

Nowadays no doubt, with the namby pamby politically correct brigade in charge, we would all have to undergo psychiatric tests first!!

Commens.....making signals go faster

Gainesy
30th Oct 2005, 15:22
Used to be far too warm down there Wyler.