PDA

View Full Version : Qantas confirms A380 visit dates

Magoodotcom
28th Oct 2005, 03:37
SYDNEY, 28 October 2005: Qantas announced today that the world's largest passenger aircraft, the Airbus A380, would visit Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne between 11 and 16 November. The visit will coincide Qantas' 85th anniversary celebrations.

The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the arrival of the aircraft and its planned itinerary while in Australia had generated a great deal of public interest.

"We have worked closely with Airbus to make this visit a reality. This is the first time the A380 has left Europe," Mr Dixon said.

As well as helping Qantas mark its 85th anniversary, the aircraft will continue its flight test program in Australia and undertake airport compatibility assessments in each port.

The A380's current Australian schedule is:
* Friday 11 November Arrive Brisbane late evening
* Saturday 12 November Brisbane
* Sunday 13 November Depart Brisbane for Sydney early morning
* Monday14 November Depart Sydney for Melbourne early morning
* Tuesday 15 November Depart Melbourne for Brisbane early morning
* Wednesday 16 November Depart Brisbane and Australia early morning

Details of arrival and departure times will be announced next month.

Qantas was the first airline to sign a contract for the A380 and will take delivery of the first of its 12 aircraft in April 2007.

GalleyHag
28th Oct 2005, 03:58
This might be a stupid question but if Qantas were the first to sign up for the A380 why are we behind Singapore Airlines for delivery?

Triple 7
28th Oct 2005, 05:07
Signing up is one thing, but actually putting $money$ down is what gets you aircraft Serial Numbers. SIA was the First to actually put money where its mouth is and started the ball rolling.

Every airline talks about this, that, what it needs and how many but when its comes to paying a deposit and signing a contract for delivery, thats what buying is all about.

SIA has MSN 003, 005, 006, 008, 010, 012

while QF has MSN 014, 015 as its 1st of type.

MSN 002, 004, and 007 are airbus prototypes, once all testing is completed, these 3 aircraft will be for Etihad airlines.

Money Talks - Bull**** walks ;)

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.......Landing is the FIRST !

GalleyHag
28th Oct 2005, 05:09
Thanks Triple 7 I learn something new every day.

Taildragger67
28th Oct 2005, 12:06
Any truth in the story that, as EK are the biggest A380 customer and that the a/c will be going to the Dubai Air Show as part of this jaunt, that it will be painted up in EK colours?

If so, might seem a tad curious to have an a/c painted up in a competitor's colours, show up as a main attraction at your birthday bash... are EK paying QF anything for the advertising space?!

Or will it get a quick 2-pack respray somewhere between DXB and Brisvegas?

SM_YSSY
28th Oct 2005, 23:55
Rumour from another web forum,

* The A380 will be in QF colours or at least the tail logo when its in Sydney

* Meant to be arriving in Sydney around 0930 over flying the bridge/opera house for photo shoots by QF before landing.

* A/C will be repainted (probably EK logo) in the new Brisbane hangar just before it departs for KL and onwards to Dubai.

Cheers,

Going Boeing
29th Oct 2005, 00:12
Triple 7

Not quite correct in regards to putting the money up front first. QF didn't want the "early" aircraft as historically the first few aircraft off a new production run have been found to be overweight and have more frequent mechanical defects (as shown with the early B744 deliveries- even though this was just a newer version). Manufacturing techniques improve rapidly as each successive aircraft is built so by the time MSN014 roles out of the hanger it may be close to the planned weight and have all the components fit better.

SQ do not hold onto their aircraft as long as QF (they can write them off over five years instead of the twelve years that QF is required to) and thus the weight penalty won't be as significant as it would be for QF.

biggles72
29th Oct 2005, 06:30
What are the chances of an average Joe with an ASIC card going around and kicking the tyres and having a looksee inside?

Will the AC be available for the public to view or only VIP's?

Capt Claret
29th Oct 2005, 06:58
biggles72

If it helps, when the EMP170 passed throught Darwin, early this year I think, I went out to have a looksee.

I was given a talking to by the APS guys, airside near the terminal and told that I had no valid reason to be airside, and that they could charge or evict me, but on this occasion they'd let me have a look.

I'm just waiting for an APS/DOTARS person to request the jump seat because they've got some urgent need to get some where! :mad: