PDA

View Full Version : Broadband (wireless)

youngskywalker
27th Oct 2005, 13:22
Hi there, not being very good with these issues and having not had much luck elsewhere:

I am looking into finally getting broadband at home, as I now have a notebook with wifi I would aslo like to make use of that.

can anyone advice what I need and maybe which companies are best etc..

I believe that if I sign up to braodband I would have to purchase a wireless modem for about £100 or so? Or do any companies provide one with the package? I'm really just trying to avoid having damn wires all over my house.

Cheers

YS

spekesoftly
27th Oct 2005, 14:12
Most, but not all, Broadband ISPs supply a 'free' USB (non-wireless) modem and a few filters, when you first sign up. For a wireless set-up on a Broadband enabled BT telephone line, you will need an ADSL wireless modem/router - some ISPs can supply a limited choice at extra cost, or you can buy one elsewhere.

You can read some reviews here (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/). I've used a Netgear DG834G for about six months, and it's been very reliable.

youngskywalker
27th Oct 2005, 14:31
Thats great, thanks for that. I just need to make a choice on which service provider to go for now, they seem to be getting cheaper all the time.

Ta

YS

ORAC
27th Oct 2005, 15:00
Wanadoo (http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/default.htm?cd_source=Aurora) are doing a free wireless router and 8Mb connection.

marlowe
27th Oct 2005, 19:57
Good luck with WIFI i am trying to set up AOL with the Netgear range of products as reccomended by AOL and its a nightmare!!!!

charlie-india-mike
28th Oct 2005, 09:50
AOL is the nightmare not wireless

Canary Boy
28th Oct 2005, 11:04
Having seen/tried various broadband providers, I would say that if you are in an area where cable bb is available it is the only option to go for. Very fast (about to be upgraded to 10Mb FREE!), competitively priced and no limitations. If you go to the Telewest site you can find out if it's available where you are. As for the wireless router, all of the top brands are good and most are very easy to install. I have used Netgear and Belkin and find both excellent. Just be careful with siting (although there is new technology which vastly improves siting issues - can't remember what it's called - doh!!)

youngskywalker
28th Oct 2005, 11:38
yeah thanks for that! Afraid I'm not in the 'cable' area or else that would be the option I would probably go for.

ORAC
28th Oct 2005, 11:55
Well, if you can, get someone who is providing ADSL2, speeds will be ramping up to around 24Mbs.