PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Scattercat
29th Jul 2001, 13:21
I work in SAR / EMS with a roster that involves two night shifts (18:00hrs to 08:00hrs) with sleeping facilities available. However I have a great deal of difficulty getting any restfull sleep, rather I toss & turn waiting for the "hot-line" to ring. The problem seems to be physiological rather than enviromental as it's nice and dark / cool / quiet etc. Does anyone have any good techniques or advice for me?? (yawn!!)
:o

Ancient Pelican
29th Jul 2001, 15:14
Sir,
When I sleep in the duty quarters I try to keep a normal as possible routine. I make the bed up with sheets and a blanket and pillow just like at home. I try to go to bed at about the same time I would if I was at home. I sleep in a "T" shirt and gym shorts, it only takes me about one minute or so to get the bag and shoes on and then I am out the door. For me keeping the sleep time routine seems to work the best.

sling load
29th Jul 2001, 17:50
Scattercat,
Read Lu Zuckermans threads, theyll definitely put you to sleep

SL

HOGE
29th Jul 2001, 22:11
A small mug of ovaltine, (laced with several large brandies!) :D

B.Loser
29th Jul 2001, 22:42
Hello Mr. Cat,

I had a similar problem. I think I made myself "sleep light". I solved that by simply reassuring myself that the phone, or tones, or lights would be sufficient to wake me. It took a few nights but seems to work.

Good luck.

sprocket
30th Jul 2001, 00:28
Also, stay out of that social club fridge. All those chocolate bars, energy drinks and coke, that the crewies thrive on will make you want to run a flamin' marathon. ;)

w_ocker
30th Jul 2001, 09:00
I always find that sitting at a desk with a two-foot high in tray and an IRT on tomorrow for which I havent studied puts me to sleep immediately. :D

Cyclic Hotline
30th Jul 2001, 11:40
Really w_okker, it's obvious that none of this is working!

What other explanation for a post at 05:00 (precisely) in the morning? :D

mkeane
31st Jul 2001, 01:22
This may sound strange but it does work - for me anyway! I first read about it in the BALPA Log magazine a few years ago. This technique is used to clear your mind of the garbage that runs around and around while you are trying to get to sleep. What you do is think of a couple of unrelated words and 'say' them in your mind over and over again as quickly and as accurately as you can. The theory is that your brain gets completely 'bored' and switches off thus allowing you to drop off. I said it was strange!!! If this does not work try Lavender Essential oil - put a few drops on your pillow, it's used in some hospitals. :o :o :o

w_ocker
31st Jul 2001, 05:48
Cyclic, love the name! 0500Z equates to about 1500 in my corner of the world. So you are right, what the hell was I doing awake?? :o

Semi Rigid
31st Jul 2001, 09:00
Britany Spears or Christine Arquilla works.