View Full Version : And the closing date is tomorrow......

hollywood285
27th Oct 2005, 08:52
Anybody bothered going for this with Flybe/Cabair?? they even go up too 33 year old!!!:ok:

http://www.ccat.org.uk/sponsorship.htm

Biggles_77
28th Oct 2005, 14:37
did'nt apply in the end.. too much at stake financially for me i.e 40 k loan upfront, 20 k paid back to flybe and the thought of no salary for a year was just too risky for me, especially as I have a mortgage. Still it has'nt put me off - got 10 hours towards my PPL (i'm 27) and after PPL looking to do modular route. Anyone else in the same situation ?? or is it just me!
At least with modular I have control of my finances and can work to fund my flying...:ok:

hollywood285
28th Oct 2005, 20:42
well, I'm 31, 100 hours PPL, married, house, 1 child!!! still not sure were i'm going, but got too start thinking fast!!! I hate my job, even though its proberly better payed then an F/O's for most airlines, but moneys not everything!!

Lets do a poll

Do I, stay in my crap job, home everynight, never skint, fast car and a 152 to play in

OR

Risk it all too fly an airliner, look forward to going to work instead of , of **** that f*ucking place again!!

Edited to add, Dont have A levels, but served a 5 year engineering apprenticeship, does that count for anything??

I.E. spanner man who can do, not just know the theory.:ok:

Megaton
29th Oct 2005, 07:54
Unfortunately, being able "to do" won't help with the ATPL exams which are theory based. Stick to flying for fun when you want to and not when you're told to.

MrHorgy
30th Oct 2005, 22:30
Biggles 77 - join the club. I'm about to go out to OBA in Florida to finish my PPL and NR, but also had the flybe form on my desk.

When I totted it up it's STILL cheaper to do modular even with flybe's contribution. I object to integrated in principle anyway, they are just a big marketing scam if you ask me (wishes he thought up the idea of Integrated Training ;) )

Horgy

Biggles_77
31st Oct 2005, 11:22
Horgy - check your PM's

R T Jones
2nd Nov 2005, 10:27
What I defiantly would consider is after you do a job for long enough, it does just become another job. Just like at school when a lesson is cancelled everyone is happy, same for an airline pilot. Or so I imagine! Do a pros and cons list but honestly, deep down you know what decision you are going to make, even if it’s the one you don’t want to do.

Ropey Pilot
3rd Nov 2005, 10:13
I couldn't do a desk job - I'd go mad.... But flying seems to be held up as some sort of holy grail.

Imagine you are at a base which does 2 routes. You engage the autopilot at 1000 ft on the climb out (at which time all you have done is rotate and hold it. twiddle some knobs in a cloud for an hour then press the red button with 100 ft to go and flare. The approach plates never change (but you pray for the ILS to go U/S so you can fly an NDB for a change.

Repeat several times a day for ever.

Money could be better - can't organise anything with any of your mates (those who don't fly have weekends off - you don't; while those who do fly are covering your days off). If you do get a weekend your uni mates in London need 3 months notice to free up a date, but you never know what you are doing more that 3 weeks in advance because that is when your rosters are published.

How hard do we work? Compared to a city trader,lawyer or junior doctor - not very. Compared to a junior in an office or a Tesco manager - harder.

Yes on days the glorious sunset while you can see the whole of the South of England is fantastic but don't think that it is regularly as much fun as poling your c152 where and when you like. It is fantastic initially (but so would working in an office in Slough with some attractive colleagues - initially) but eventually becomes a job with pros and cons like any other.

A day operating a JCB would be great fun. Having seen people who race tham as a hobby that looks great fun too. Can't say I'd want to work on a building site my whole life yjough....

Is this the right choice for you - only you can tell. Some people like staying in hotels with crew as they live alone - others want to be home with their wife and kids every night.

RT Jones speaks the truth....