PDA

View Full Version : Landside Fire at Schiphol kills 10

Daysleeper
27th Oct 2005, 03:07
BBC NEWS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4380694.stm)

At least 10 people have died in a fire at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport.
The blaze reportedly took place in a detention centre at the airport, the main air hub of the Netherlands.

tom de luxe
27th Oct 2005, 05:11
Dutch radio now reports 11 dead, 15 injured (out of 43 in the cell block where the fire broke out), in a detention centre at Shiphol Airport, used mainly to detain drug smugglers, as well as illegal immigrants about to be deported.

The fire is said to have started around midnight and was under control by 3 a.m. Wardens allegedly underestimated the situation, and did not evacuate the cells "for some time". :(

captplaystation
27th Oct 2005, 10:27
If you had arrived with a passport discrepancy and were being "detained " awaiting a flight back to where you came from would you expect some safety in your temporary accomodation? A bit harsh to pre-judge;Having seen the way the "authorities" behaved here with alco-tests for pilots way before any other country, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.Label everyone in custody as drug-smugglers( a bit bloody rich coming from "liberal" Holland) is a convenient way to try and stifle any sympathy for those killed through failure in "duty to care". And no, I am not noted for my liberal views, I just think it a bit previous to label everyone in detention as scum of the earth. Edited to say thanks to the mods for deleting the previous post,you beat me to it.

Jorge Newberry
29th Oct 2005, 19:46
Whaddya bet the final report ends up blaming the victims?