PDA

View Full Version : Personnel Office to Human Capital Office

seacue
26th Oct 2005, 20:19
First it was the Personnel Office,

then it was the Human Resources Office,

now it's the Human Capital Office.

Can't tell the players without a scorecard.

seacue

Romeo Charlie
26th Oct 2005, 20:57
Just keep on refering to it as Personnel - it winds them up!

flapsforty
26th Oct 2005, 21:32
Seacue you might enjoy Gainesy's twist on this. On another thread, he called them the Human Remains department.

I like it. :ok:

seacue
26th Oct 2005, 21:39
Flaps

That is what incited me to start a thread. I thought my post would stray too far from the subject of the other thread.

Merge if you wish.

And to answer R.C., I'd guess that most of the people in "Personnel" still think of it under that name. The whole organization isn't very trendy. I'll wager that the name-change came from above.

seacue

tart1
26th Oct 2005, 22:13
I can't for the life of me think what was wrong with 'personnel'.

It is just another example of people staying up nights (and/or maybe being paid loadsa money) to think of another trendy name for something which was ok without any meddling.

Human resources sounds like the staff are made out of pieces of wood or rock.........granted some people do behave like that, but it is not a good way to describe human beings.

As for Human Capital, well that suggests that the staff of a company are just an asset of the company to be used any old way whenever needed without any thought to their needs and feelings.

Um........quite like the real situation then! :eek:

Romeo Charlie
26th Oct 2005, 22:25
And to answer R.C., I'd guess that most of the people in "Personnel" still think of it under that name.

I used to think that too, but unfortunately this 'style over substance' culture is growing rapidly like a cancer in all forms of life.

I used to work as a controller for EWS Railways and the Coporate B*llsh*t brainwashing had really taken a hold there. I was forever getting told of by the 'Human Remains' (yes, we called them that too!) section for calling them 'Personnel' - I suppose they had a different sense of humour to us controllers!

Blacksheep
27th Oct 2005, 03:03
Our HR department was renamed Administration and Personnel Services or APS for short. This is very appropriate for the name by which they are more usually known - the Anti-Personnel Section.

Jerricho
27th Oct 2005, 04:01
Truth be known, employees of a certain HR department for an "aviation related organisation" in a part of the world not too far from where I am from can't for the life of them understand why the workers at the coal face get paid more than them. :rolleyes:

BUMPFF
27th Oct 2005, 04:39
When in the late 1990s I was engaged doing contract work for a well-known European aircraft manufacturer I dealt with the Department of Human Resources. A year later, I received a letter advising that contractual matters would in future be handled by the Department of Personnel.

My daughter's outfit has a HR (Human Remains, she calls it) Division, which does not speak of pay scales but benefits packages.

"The more things change, the more things remain the same."(attributed to Hannibal, I think).

Parapunter
27th Oct 2005, 08:19
One should never entrust anything important to Human Remains. The best example of this in recent times was Leeds United, run to ground from great heights by ex HR professional Peter Ridsdale.

Grayfly
27th Oct 2005, 08:54
When on earth are we going to start using common sense, I have now reached a grand old age where I start to see things being re invented. It's the 'kings new clothes syndrom' everywhere these days. We don't need to constantly have new ideas, we need good ones which will actually improve our lives.

Everything is style but referrred to as design...get real!! I'd like to see these 'design' celebs solve global warning by their designs.!!

Don't get me started on bottled water!!! I also note you can by tinned fresh air in a certain store in London.

All that tax payers money on education and no common sense anywhere.

Sorry rant went off thread a bit....back to personel depts.....waste of rations whatever their called.:*

Taildragger55
27th Oct 2005, 09:14
I mentioned before that the term "Human Capital' makes perfect sense to an accountant.
To an accountant, "Capital" is a liability.

In my experience the female side of personnel/HR/ Human Liabilities fall into two categories.

Young airhead types who "want to work with people" and more mature hard bitten types who have seen it all and are worth their weight in platinum. One suspects that the formal is a larval stage of the latter, after evolution has taken it's toll.

I recall sitting in a glass box interview room with one of the the hard bitten types, with both of us watching one of her minions, who had recently confided to one of my dodgier monions that I was trying to get rid of him, flouncing about.
"D'ya know what's wrong with this department, TD" she confided in her Aussie accent, "There's just too many f**king women."

Smeagol
27th Oct 2005, 10:19
Have to say that Blacksheep beat me to it.

A company I recently worked for, (in the sandpit), had an 'Administration Dept' but were affectionately known as the Anti-Personnel Dept. for very obvious reasons if you worked there!

None of the above
27th Oct 2005, 15:30
I was once told that the role of 'Personnel' was strategic, whilst 'Human Resources' had a tactical brief.

On reflection it might have been the other way round........ not that anyone would notice.

Ozzy
27th Oct 2005, 15:39
First it was the Personnel Office,

then it was the Human Resources Office,

now it's the Human Capital Office. I guess next it'll be the Human Asset Office, then the Human Investment Office, the Human Write Off Office, and finally the Human Loss Office....:E:E

Ozzy

Taildragger55
27th Oct 2005, 15:42
Or, of course, with increased automation of the workforce,
Digital Resources
Robotic Capital
Non-human Resources
or the Android Repair Shed