PDA

View Full Version : Fido

KENNYR
26th Oct 2005, 17:00
I am trying to get in touch with the two RAF personnel who worked with me in the Falkland Islands Dog Office (FIDO) in early 1985. FIDO or Heliops Falkland Islands attached to HQBFFI controlled all helicopter movements within the Falkland Islands and also controlled all the "female pen pals" (hence FIDO). One of the RAF guys was a South African SNCO and the other was a Flt Lt (I think that his name began with the letter P). I would be interested in making contact with either of these gentlemen. We had a whale of a time!!!!!!!!

Wyler
26th Oct 2005, 17:38
So much so that you can't remember their names. Must have been a rollercoaster of fun.

KENNYR
26th Oct 2005, 19:00
Wyler, you prat......it was 20 years ago! For Gods sake, cant a guy ask a civil question on this site without some idiot making some stupid assinign comment!!

Pontius Navigator
26th Oct 2005, 19:07
KennyR, quite agree. I was in ASI Ops at the same time. I can remember the name of one OpsO, but not the other 3 although given a little thought I might be able to dredge them up. There were two SLATS of whom the second was a mix between prat and wally in about equal mix. I can remember the name of the first and also both SLOPS (one was killed in a Herc crash).

Now if we come to sqn mates 40 years ago, that is a different kettle of fish.

Role1a
26th Oct 2005, 19:30
I always thought FIDO was

FI Dental Officer

Wyler
26th Oct 2005, 20:01
KENNYR

My genuine apologies. Did not nb the date. Prat I am.

KENNYR

Just done some digging. Ascension is now commanded by an RAF Sqn Ldr and the BFPO number is 677. If you drop him/her a line and explain the circumstances I am sure they can dig out some details from the records. If not they may well be able to direct you to someone who can.

Grovellingly yours.....:\\

Art Field
26th Oct 2005, 20:19
No sirs, FIDO was a system of paraffin burners on the final approach to a runway which were supposed to heat the air up enough to disperse fog and allow aircraft to land. The system was certainly installed at Manston and Marham but removed a few years after the second war. You did not want a fuel leak on finals.

KENNYR
26th Oct 2005, 20:55
Wyler, Thanks. I was a bit harsh perhaps. The old mind is not quite what is was.:D

Thanks for the info ref. BFPO 677.

Art Field.....????????? The FIDO I was referring to was a joke name because all the desperate ladies needing a squaddies gentle touch would write to us at HQBFFI where we would vet the suitability for onward transmission to either RAF, ARMY or RN personnel......hence Falkland Islands Dog Office. Get it? Good!

SilsoeSid
26th Oct 2005, 22:20
Kenny,

Having been duty driver for 6 months for the FI Sqn AAC around the time you were there, FIDO must have been a very selectively used term.

I remember my Dad talking about FIDO as it was used at St Eval where he was once based, so if it was a term used at BFFI then I'm sure I might have remembered it.

From the gen I gathered about the 'pen pal letters', HeliOps hijacked them from the RAF posties, filtered them and then they were randomly put into the various unit postbags. The pick of the bunch, mainly with photos obviously, were kept by the HeliOps staff and 'standard letters' were made to lay the bait. When the tour was over, HeliOps staff always returned home a week or 2 after the rest of the unit they went out with! :suspect:

Perhaps you really want to meet up with these guys again to not only share memories but compare conquests!! ;)

:E
SS

KENNYR
27th Oct 2005, 08:47
SS, I always looked after my boys at Murray Hts. You got the creme de la creme of the available totty!! I got to go home a week early if you remember due to my Father passing away, nothing to do with conquests.

Wyler
27th Oct 2005, 09:10
You could also write to the RAF News, they do a 'Where are they now' slot. Can get you the addrss if you want.
The Daily Mail also caters for this very thing but you would need a photo.

diginagain
27th Oct 2005, 11:22
The Daily Mail also caters for this very thing but you would need a photo.

But presumably not one from the FIDO collection?

KENNYR
27th Oct 2005, 13:41
Diginagain, you wouldnt have said that if you could remember what most of them looked like!!!!! I might pm SS and say hi.

Wyler, thanks very much but no ta!! I've seen what the Mail does with some of the photos!!!

diginagain
27th Oct 2005, 14:36
KENNYR, I can just imagine the result of posting a photo from the dog board in the 'Where Are They Now' section of the Daily Mail.

Think of the fun you could have explaining to the missus exactly how you came to know the creature who has hunted you down after 20 years, and who is now on your doorstep demanding to know what happened to the promises of undying love and devotion that you'd made to each other all those years ago.

Me, I'm happy enough with the memories of the 'Gay Biker Club' and Mrs DLB's reaction to their display at the end-of-tour gathering.

:E