View Full Version : Good sim prep courses

six-sixty
26th Oct 2005, 11:08
Hi all, I am thinking of getting some "heavier" handling experience so I'm aiming this post at anyone who's recently passed an initial sim-check (i.e. for a first jet/TP job) and may have done some preliminary work with one of the many providers out there.

Would anyone care to share their experience in terms of the sim practiced on, the type and quality of the workup training, the relevance to the actual sim ride etc? Feel free to PM me if you like.

I haven't got a sim assesment lined up yet, but if I do I guess there's a reasonable chance of it being on an older clockwork dial type somewhere near Heathrow....

Thanks muchly, SS

angelorange
26th Oct 2005, 23:05
This will cost you a lot of money - best to ask folk at IPA/IPF or BALPA about contacts.

Not always a good thing to prep on one before hand as testers will expect to to behave as per your CV experience. Also they may well do test at same company that you practised at and if you do really well then expect to be asked if you've done the sim before.

I couldn't afford it at the time so went out and bought X Plane - bit like MS Flight Sim but better aerodynamics and handling - works on PCs and Macs - there's an excellent 737-300 and you can fly the profiles the Co. sends you. get's you used to Pitch and power changes and rate of events cf Cessna flying!

Pilot Pete
27th Oct 2005, 20:13
And what's wrong with being asked if you had the foresight to do some practice for your sim assessment? And what's wrong with telling the assessor that you did indeed have some tuition and practice because you want the job so much?

You wouldn't take ANY flight test for licence issue without tuition/ practice first, so what makes a sim assessment on a new type any different? I always recommend low hours pilots pay for an hour or two in a similar sim before an assessment - the check ride is not the time to be trying to get to grips with the pitch power couple of a 737 for the first time.

If you do a reasonable job in your assessment and the instructor asks if you have done it before, tell the truth! Tell them how much the job means to you so you wanted to be fully prepared. This tells the instructor that you;

1. Care enough to really want the job.
2. Plan ahead and prepare thoroughly.
3. Display the right attitude towards what will undoubtedly be a steep learning curve should you get the job.
4. Make sensible decisions when faced with challenges.
5. Have a professional attitude.

Whatever you do, don't lie and say you haven't ever been in a sim like it before! I know someone who recently did a good job in the sim (his opinion) and was asked a couple of times if he had practiced, to which he replied that he had not (when he had). He thinks the instructor may have seen through him and potentially his dishonesty is what cost him the sim ride (the feedback on his selection was that he failed the sim).

Just my thoughts on the subject.

PP

ps I did 2 hrs in a 737 sim before my first airline assessment and I KNOW that if I hadn't my performance would not have been good enough to get the job offer (I was all over the place in those 2 hours!!)

angelorange
27th Oct 2005, 22:16
if you can afford it fine

if not also fine - most folk will assume you haven't done sim ride pre interview if you've no MPA type experience anyways

just be honest!

all the best!

Troy McClure
28th Oct 2005, 10:07
I recently got a few hours on a 737-200 Sim at Yorkshire Flight Centre near Harrogate. Was good practice for a certain BAC1-11 sim check (which I passed). Would have made a right hash of everything otherwise. Interviews and sim checks don't come along very often, so you have to bite the bullet and fork out a few hundred to make sure you don't waste any opportunitites.

Cutoff
28th Oct 2005, 10:40
I agree, I did a couple of hours on the 727 at bournemouth, again prior to a certain 1-11 check. I did some pretty shocking flying in the 727, but it went quite smoothly in the 1-11, I imagine though that if the sim check had been my first experience of a jet then I would have failed..I passed by the way.
It also gets you used to the cockpit, and whilst the basic tee is there, just the size, possible distractions and location of flap and trim etc are worth experiencing first hand.

I also told the assessor that I had done a couple of hours in the 727 prior to the assessment, the assessment does not change because of this, and I agree, it shows that you are really serious about getting this job. Also what is a couple of hours in a sim when compared to the cost of the CPL / IR plus ATPLs that you have already forked out on - a no brainer!

no sponsor
31st Oct 2005, 11:47
Jetlinx can do a sim preparation course. You can select to do it in either the full flight sim, or in one of BAs fixed base simulators - 737 or 757. The latter is obviously a bit cheaper, and just as suitable.

Unfortunately you can't hire the 1-11 sim.

CaptYanknBank
3rd Nov 2005, 19:01
Fully recommend a couple of hours in a clockwork sim.
I have a few hours in an A320 and it's a different world to the Bac1-11 or B727.

I have recently had time in the B727 and will go again before my Bac1-11 assessment.

Well worth the extra £'s :ok:

CY&B :D

six-sixty
4th Nov 2005, 13:03
Thanks for the advice everyone. If and when the time comes I think I'll be feeding a few pound coins in that 727 ride at Bournmouth.

SS

ATP_Al
4th Nov 2005, 14:28
Agree entirely - 2 hours in the 727 sim got me through the BAC1-11 sim ride as well. Before you go, talk to some other candidates and find out what the profile is (BALPA can help with this). Then get the Jepp/AERAD plates and plan it all at home. When you go to the sim you'll be able to ask the instructor for exactly what you want and you won't waste any time or money!

Good luck,

Al

EGCC4284
5th Nov 2005, 14:29
Can someone send me a PM with the contact details for the 727 at Bournemouth

Cheers

eghi r20
7th Nov 2005, 08:12
Mike Bolton at s.t.s runs courses on the 727 and tri star all at bournemouth.

well worth doing some prep b4 a check ride !!. it got me in a hold pool.

http://www.simulatortrainingservices.co.uk/

Getting in touch is the first step if you are interested in training with STS. By contacting us, we can answer your questions much better than is possible via the web. How would you like to get in touch?By TelephoneIf you would like to discuss any aspect of our training solutions, contact Mike Boulton, Head of Training. Good advice is just a phonecall away, and you won't be speaking to any commission - hungry salespeople.In the UK, call tel: (07799) 887274From outside the UK, dial +44 (7799) 887274Via the InternetYou're already online, so a good way to get in touch is to fill out the bookings form. That way we can collect all the information we need, and provide you with the most relevant answers via e-mail or telephone. We won't share any of your information with third parties, except where required by law.Alternatively, you can e-mail us at [email protected].

Cutoff
7th Nov 2005, 08:14
I did mine with Mike Bolton too - worth doing!