PDA

View Full Version : Where to Hour Build in South Africa

99Luftballons
26th Oct 2005, 08:09
Goie More!

Could anybody help me in my quest to find out where I can hour build (i.e. rent a plane) in South Africa. I will be based in George (Garden Route) and would love to find something close to there. I have heard rather bad comments about Cape Flying Services in George (the most convenient location) and loads of good comments about Algoa in Port Elizabeth (not so convenient). Are there any other places such as Mossel Bay or Plettenberg Bay that anyone is aware of?

Secondly, can anyone suggest some places to fly to? I would love to fly along the coast and into the small Karoo perhaps. (Oudtshoorn, Swellendam, Plett, PE, etc.) Does every airport have a run-around car and do they all charge landing fees?

Thirdly, what map should I buy? Can I pick one up in SA or should I pre-order something from Jeppesen for example?

Many thanks for your answers.

Hobgoblin
26th Oct 2005, 09:43
I did my PPL in George with Cape Flying Services a long time ago.

Fantastic place to fly. In fact so beautiful that one can easily forget where you are and get lost. ( Luckily never happened to me )

Also, Cape Flying Services has had some good press and also some bad press. My experience with them has always been positive and Gerald has always treated me professionally and correctly. I'm sure you are going to hear lots of different things from all kinds of people but in my honest opinion CFS is a good place to train.

I did my multi engine in the PA23 they have now namely ZS-MDL while it was still based in Pretoria rather than in the one they used to have, (ZS- DSC) and that aerie alone is worth the trip down there:ok:

bendix
26th Oct 2005, 09:44
More 99,

To give you an honest answer I need more information:

1.What type of a/c are you licenced on ?

2.Are you a PPL or CPL?

3.How long wil you be in the RSA?

There is a very active flying club at Oudshoorn and the weather is better than at George,but can become very hot in summer.

All major airports have rent- a- cars

Buy a " AVIMAP" book at any local flying school that contains a full set of 1:1,000,000 maps,frequency charts,flightplans ext.
PM for where you can order this.:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Oct 2005, 15:52
"My PM is turned off and I'm battling to turn it on...!"

Have you tried telling it you love it...?:E

99Luftballons
26th Oct 2005, 21:12
Many thanks for your replies this far. Bendix, I tried to PM you but it may also be down? Here is some more info to some of the issues raised.

I have a PPL (just in the process of completing this). I am doing this on a Piper Warrior but the flight school also has the C172 which I will fly in as it will give me more options when I come to SA. I will be in SA for 3 weeks and hope to fly in two of these.

I think it would be great if I could make use of the aeroplanes in George and fly to Oudtshoorn, Plett, PE and back, perhaps go over Bavianskloof and some of Route 69. Any suggestions will be welcomed!

The AviMap sounds like a good investment too, any idea how much they go for?

Thanks

George Tower
26th Oct 2005, 21:49
some of Route 69

sounds like plenty of fun to me......the tourist literature I see generally refers to route 62:ok:

You can get fuel at Oudtshoorn, Plett, Swellendam, Beaufort West and Roberston. There is an active flying club at Oudtshoorn - the chap there is Johan Erasmus tel 082 253 9150 email: [email protected]. He runs the show there and is a splendid fellow.

Oh and there is Mossel Bay as well - apparently the flying club there is very active. Also you may from memory get better prices that at George, also you don't have the hassle of controlled airspace.

Edited to make post informative instead of innuendo

Irv
8th Nov 2005, 10:32
I've pm'd you about avimap and passing SA Air Law when you get there.

One key thing is to make sure the club you are going to use are 'on the ball' as far as getting you in the air and your paperwork through the SA CAA. Go to the wrong club (hasn't been mentioned here yet) and spend all your 3 weeks waiting for paperwork as no preparation has been done, go to another school and you're legal in a day.

One initial question might be 'have you had an UK pilots for validations before?' - if the answer's 'no', be careful they know what to do and are prepared to fast-track you, if the answer is 'yes', ask how long the last one took the club to process. (CFS should be completely on the ball with all this, but if you approach any club that isn't used to UK visitors, make sure you ask the questions in advance).

Also, just make sure you have signed-off time in your log book on any type you intend to rent there - saves a lot of argument - SA is very 'type-conscious'!