PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather Rights

ORAC
26th Oct 2005, 04:42
The Times: British grandparent may no longer mean right to a visa

THE historic links between Britain and hundreds of thousands of Commonwealth citizens are under threat as part of a government overhaul of migration rules.

A new points-based immigration system threatens to end a scheme under which Commonwealth citizens with a British grandparent are allowed to enter and settle in Britain. The move will mainly affect people from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and Zimbabwe who have used the “ancestral visa” scheme to come to Britain.

Under the historic visa scheme Commonwealth citizens who can prove that one grandparent was born in Britain are allowed to enter the country. They must also be prepared to work and keep themselves, without relying on the State. Crucially, after four years in Britain, they can apply for permanent settlement. More than 60,000 Commonwealth citizens have entered Britain using the ancestral visa system in the past five years, and a smaller number has been allowed to settle permanently.

The disclosure that the future of the scheme is under consideration by the Home Office came after the issue was raised yesterday by the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee. A Home Office spokeswoman said that no decision had been taken. She said: “We are consulting on the new points system for managed migration to cover routes to work, study and train in the UK. As we develop the new system we will consider how it relates to the existing routes, such as UK ancestry.”

More than 10,000 Commonwealth citizens were allowed to settle in the country in 2003 and 2004 on the basis that one of their grandparents was born in Britain.

The Government’s plans for a points-based migration system means that the focus will shift to attracting migrants to do key jobs. This would close the door on low-skilled, non-EU workers settling in Britain. Only investors and skilled workers would be allowed to settle.

The new migration work scheme would have five tiers, with points linked to educational attainment and age. It is intended to replace the existing 50 ways that people can come to work and study in Britain.

26th Oct 2005, 09:45
So, the Government are considering stopping people coming into the UK, who
must also be prepared to work and keep themselves, without relying on the State
whilst allowing tens of thousands of asylum seekers (some genuine, some not) into the country each year.

I suppose it's one way to try and make the immigration figures look a bit better. Just pick on the easy targets, the ones who apply legally before trying to enter the UK.

Jerricho
26th Oct 2005, 16:28
I agree 419, that really stinks.

Once again, it's the law abiding, play the game individuals that are gonna get shafted.

airship
26th Oct 2005, 16:38
Y'all think you've got it hard eh?

Imagine the rigamarole one goes through to renew one's passport every 10 years, when it's only one's great-grandad what were born in UK (and Inniskillen at that)... :(

redsnail
26th Oct 2005, 17:01
I have a very real interest in this potential development. As I understand, the ancestral visa hasn't been stopped yet. From the article I read in the paper Britain is moving away from the 50 or so visas that can be used to enter the country to a points based system. (Not unlike Australia's I suppose).

The govt will look at how the points based system will work and then decide about the visas like the ancestral one.

I can understand what they (the govt) wants to do but gees, perhaps there's another way to get people of skill here?

Reason why I care is Checkers (hubby) is here on an ancestral visa and is hoping to get permanent residency next year. We want to buy a house and live here for a good number of years. I'm ok, I have a British passport. :ok:

Darth Nigel
26th Oct 2005, 17:06
Doesn't Chubby ...err, I mean Checkers (Hubby) ... get some residence 'cos of being married to you?

redsnail
26th Oct 2005, 17:16
From what we can gather it isn't that cut and dried. The big fella's written a letter to the appropriate department so hopefully they'll get a reply to him before the next Ice Age. :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
26th Oct 2005, 17:55
Britain is moving away from the 50 or so visas that can be used to enter the country to a points based system. Then he should just keep trying to enter, because everyone knows you get five points for a try.

Jerricho
26th Oct 2005, 18:00
And God loves a trier ;)

BOFH
26th Oct 2005, 18:48
The new migration work scheme would have five tiers, with points linked to educational attainment
:)
and age
:{
I would dearly like to see some hard data on this (that's never going to happen). It's pointless for me to say that I do not know of one person in this category who is a bludger, because I don't mix with bludgers.

If it turns out that people like me whose grandparents were British have to take some non-bludging tests, well, I'll take my chances.

They must also be prepared to work and keep themselves, without relying on the State.

My visa clearly states 'No recourse to public funds'. So how can we be a burden on the state, apart from our comical accents?

S'truth, this place gets me down sometimes.

BOFH

2R
26th Oct 2005, 21:42
There is always the refugee claim.
As for grandfathers rights is that when he says he is going upstairs to [email protected]#& your granny ???:E :E :E