PDA

View Full Version : Almost another Tenerife...

Scoutmaster
25th Oct 2005, 22:34
The Australian reported today...A Korean Airlines Boeing 777 taking off from Sydney airport last Thursday was confronted by a jumbo jet being towed across the runway. The Seoul-bound jet passed over the towed aircraft at a height of between 100m and 130m. The Australian Transportation Safety Bureau is investigating.

...Wouldn't have liked to have been the Korean airlines pilots hoping to clear the jet as it dawdled across the runway in front.

Potentially a catestrophic incident...A runway incursion which is totally avoidable, as are all runway incursions.

Sydney Airport isn't even operating at capacity due to noise abatement issues and incidents like this occur, not good news.

It will be interesting to see who gets the blame!

Sunfish
25th Oct 2005, 22:54
Correction : It will be interesting to see what the cause was..

Keg
25th Oct 2005, 23:04
Perhaps 'contributing factors' is the term you are searching for Sunfish! :}

Threats and errors. None of us are immune!

Massey058
26th Oct 2005, 00:06
Bit of deja vu, there was a similar incident at Sydney in 1990 with Cathay and Qantas 747-300's.

outback aviator
26th Oct 2005, 00:21
And if you go further back,early seventies I think but stand to be corrected, an Ansett 727 and a Canadian Airlines DC-8 collided as the 727 was taking off on runway 34 and the DC-8 was crossing the runway.

Vacant Towers
26th Oct 2005, 00:43
outback aviator, small corrections required, the 727-100 was VH-TJA of Trans Australia Airlines and the CP DC8 was backtracking and missed a taxiway turn off. Nearly a very nasty outcome.

The BASI report (not electronically stored unfortunately) made for interesting reading. It was a bit of a watershed as far as ATS was concerned.

VT

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Oct 2005, 02:15
I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to suggest it's Dick Smith's fault. :rolleyes:

Chimbu chuckles
26th Oct 2005, 02:20
Wait for it and Dick will be on here suggesting that it wouldn't have happened in Dickspace!:ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Oct 2005, 02:37
I'll put a schooner on it he won't :ok:

Capt Claret
26th Oct 2005, 02:51
With reference to TJA, I believe that much of the baggage in the hold/s was spread around Mascot as the 72 rotated early to try and avoid a disasterous collision, and sliced the belly open on the fin of the DC8.

Scoutmaster
26th Oct 2005, 07:52
Sunfish you wrote
"Correction : It will be interesting to see what the cause was...".

I agree that it will be interesting to see what the cause was, however, there is almost always someone to blame. Otherwise mistakes would not occur.

UnderneathTheRadar
26th Oct 2005, 08:53
I agree that it will be interesting to see what the cause was, however, there is almost always someone to blame. Otherwise mistakes would not occur.

More interesting will be to see if there is any correlation between what the cause was and who gets blamed.

keepemseperated
26th Oct 2005, 09:18
The QFA tug crossed the runway without a clearance from the SMC, and as for " ...Wouldn't have liked to have been the Korean airlines pilots hoping to clear the jet as it dawdled across the runway in front." they did not even see the aircaft under tow crossing.
While it is definately a c@ck-up, with the tug crossing on A1 if the departure was any near it they would also be concerned about traffic on Qantas Drive!

Taildragger67
26th Oct 2005, 10:17
Ansett A320 / Thai DC10 near-miss at YSSY:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1991/AAIR/aair199100052.aspx

OhForSure
27th Oct 2005, 02:14
keepemseperated :

with the tug crossing on A1 if the departure was any near it they would also be concerned about traffic on Qantas Drive!

How do you know it was A1??? If that is the case though, you are most certainly correct.

keepemseperated
27th Oct 2005, 05:50
Let's just say a friend of a friend told me. Whilst I haven't seen the ESIR is was definately A1. Cheers.

DeBurcs
27th Oct 2005, 06:39
More interesting to see how the TWU gets the tug driver off the hook (or was that the ACTU) and how they put the spin on poor training, employer pressure, work practices, etc for his f***-up.

If, that is, he turns out to have been a contributing factor.they would also be concerned about traffic on Qantas Drive!That'd give the mayor of Marrickville something to really bitch about.

missy
27th Oct 2005, 07:27
I understand that the Union was less than happy with Qantas' handling of the occurrence. Mind you the tug driver did another tow after which lends weight to the argument that he didn't even know about the situation or think that he had done anything untoward.

Skypatrol
27th Oct 2005, 08:25
It was definately A1, keepemseperated is spot-on.

As Korean rotated (with plenty of rwy remaining) on 34L "a friend of a friend of mine" saw the jumbo freighter crossing at A1 under tow..

The tug driver wouldn't have known Korean was there until he was overhead thanks to the hump in the rwy.....

Chief galah
27th Oct 2005, 08:49
Tut Tut

So the tug driver didn't have his red

RUNWAY ACTIVE

strip in place.

Better have another Tower Managers love in to address that problem.

CG