PDA

View Full Version : If you had the money, would you?

HOGE
25th Oct 2005, 21:24
Further to the topic of the Mini v. the R22 and the costs etc of owning/running a helicopter, the question is, If you had the money to own a helicopter, would you?, and how would you use it?, and what would it be?

For myself, I would say yes, but lease it to someone else to cover costs, have a full IFR machine, but only to fly on gin clear days, probably to nice places for golf and lunch, and as for the type.........109? 135? pass me the brochure!

ems300
25th Oct 2005, 21:32
YEP!!! a good ol 500 D model. I would use it to full the frezzer up with venision!!! wouldn't bother putting the doors on it!!:ok:

bladewashout
25th Oct 2005, 21:56
Further to the topic of the Mini v. the R22 and the costs etc of owning/running a helicopter, the question is, If you had the money to own a helicopter, would you?, and how would you use it?, and what would it be?

I am in that fortunate position, bought an R22 which I use for office commuting when weather permits, and some fun. It is generally kept at an airfield and used for flight training/private hire when I don't have it.

If I had a bit more money I would upgrade to an R44, and if I had more still an EC120, same deal.

BW

Whirlybird
26th Oct 2005, 06:48
If I really had lots of money, so that I could also afford all the extra training and an IR and so on, I'd get an EC135 and use it for...well, everything really. With IFR capability and the ability to land almost anywhere, why not?

Well, I don't suppose Tesco would be too keen on my parking it in the supermarket car park, but...almost everything.

But I think I'd need two or three lottery wins for that. :{

ShyTorque
26th Oct 2005, 07:41
If I had the money, I'd give up flying helicopters for a living right now!

bellsux
26th Oct 2005, 08:51
ems300
If you don't want your doors you can always give them to Captain Hollywood as he has a different use for them.
:)

26th Oct 2005, 10:45
Out of interest, does anyone have the figures for buying and running a 120 or 135 - just in case it's my turn to win more than a tenner this weekend?

Capn Notarious
26th Oct 2005, 10:53
Whirly has at least flown the EC135. Lovely livery that were.

Devil 49
26th Oct 2005, 13:17
The answer I was inclined to give has changed in the space of reading the earlier responses...
Helicopters are tools, and tools are for work. The work they do, go places where other vehicles can't, or more quickly than other modes of transport, is not something I'm interested in. The price of a good helo will buy you a really nice airplane, and that's useful transport.

But- I do love the 500. I've never even seen one with the "quiet tail rotor", much less flown it- but the idea of the pure joy of the Loach and being a good neighbor is appealing.

So, yeah- If I came into tens of millions of dollars, I'd put some creditors on hold and buy a Hughes 500 on high skids.
And a Cirrus.

Whirlybird
26th Oct 2005, 13:55
Buying an EC 120 or 135...

120 is £750,000 - £900,000, depending on what options you want.

135 is around £3 million!!!!!!!

I never got around to asking about running costs.

HELOFAN
26th Oct 2005, 14:03
Oh yeah.

It would have to be a MD anything , preference on a twin engine , or a 500.

Equal second to that would be a Huey.

Equal 3rd would be a gunship.....any fully working gunship.
I think flying tourists around could work for it , or commuting would be a great way of meeting new PPL or maybe for that little pig hunting party.

ahh gunship uses are limit less really.

LOL

Upland Goose
26th Oct 2005, 19:28
Shytorque

We would miss you!!

I suspect that your closet Autogyro desires would come the fore and you would "flap to equality" into the sunset:cool: :cool: Keep on trucking - Chips! You're doing a great job - nice beemer!

UG

ems300
26th Oct 2005, 19:56
It would definatly be a 500, if it was a D model or E is another story!! And it would have a 4 bladed tail rotor on it!! It just makes filling the frezzer easy!!!

Bellsux, what would hollywood do with the doors?
I would have to keep them, as it gets that cold over here it would freeze the brass balls of a monkey!!!

Devil 49, highly recomend any 500 with 4 balded tail!!:} :ok:

verticalhold
27th Oct 2005, 16:27
Personally I'd hire a Sikorsky 76 with 2 pilots to fly me to work with my resignation letter. Then whenever I needed to get somewhere I'd hire a good IFR machine with pilot just so that I could get p***ed, play golf, go shooting, chase babes around the back. Hold the aircraft up, cause duty hours problems and change my destination/passenger numbers at the last moment, knowing that never again will I have to deal with all this from the pilot's seat.

AHH HEAVENNNNN!:E

George Semel
28th Oct 2005, 02:00
An EC-135 out on Long Island New York charters out for around $ 2000.00 an hour. And if I had the money there is no way I would buy one. Just to much of a money pit for my tastes. On the other hand, I would have a small airplane in the hanger, a J-3 cub would do just fine. This is not to say that I would not continue to fly helicopters, I would, I just buy the hours I want and being able to just walk away from all of the BS stuff has its advantages.

Big_Johnno
28th Oct 2005, 12:04
It would depend on how much money, if it was spare no expence it would be an Agusta A119 otherwise it would be an AS350BA or B2 or maybe a B407. I did like the idea of an R44 for personal transport until they started having all those problems with the rotor blades cracking and delaminating.

Oogle
28th Oct 2005, 12:17
Get serious guys!

Go for the bigger stuff - EC155, S-76, etc.

Complete with bar fridge. Oh yeah, I might even give my pilot some lambs wool seat covers.

HeliEng
29th Oct 2005, 10:10
I am in two minds on this one.

On one hand, If I had extraordinary amounts of money, I would just hire what I wanted when I wanted if I wanted, and then not have to worry about it the rest of the time.

On the other hand I'd have a Gazelle!!!!!

Definately my dream! :ok: :ok:

Gaseous
29th Oct 2005, 12:32
If you had the money, would you?

I do. I have an old Enstrom which I use purely for fun. I don't use it for travel to work as there is no landing site there. I keep it in the garden so it is ready to use whenever I choose. I dont rent it out. Why an Enstrom? watch what Dennis K can do in one and it is clear it is a capable aircraft. I could now afford to buy a new one, but I love my old one to bits. If I won the lottery I would keep it. Its a bit like having a classic car. I know, you lot think they are crap but I don't care.

I wish the CAA would get its act together and renew my C of A. I've now been grounded for 1 month!!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/avenuedentistry/G-BDKD1.jpg

ShyTorque
29th Oct 2005, 18:38
Upland Goose,

Thanks for the kind words, you might well be right about the autogyro but I would rather prefer to return from the sunset!

I might just see you out (if the www doesn't call yet another meeting at 18:30 on Halloween) :rolleyes: Otherwise tell her to beware the walking boots and rucksack sketch!

We'd best not mention Beemers here though or folks will start to drift the thread onto how Alfas, Reliant 3 wheelers etc are far better.

P.S. How was the trip on the pointy broomstick? ;)

BigMike
29th Oct 2005, 19:12
I would probably buy this, and fly it just for fun... well alright, if I had a bucket I would go chasing fires with it as well... http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Micksphotos/happy045.gif

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Micksphotos/l.jpg

Photo by Rhys Lauder