PDA

View Full Version : PAOM - FTL

Letsby Avenue
20th Nov 2000, 03:12
Quick question – Due to the mind boggling cross referencing of this document that was clearly written to confuse, I am duly confused.

Am I right in interpreting this variance to the standard FTL correctly ?

A pilot is allowed to use his discretion and extend his DP only when the next day is a rest day NOT a day off. IF the next day is a rostered day off and the pilot elects to fly beyond the end of his shift it counts as an emergency call out and the day off is nullified (I believe this is stated in Part two, Para 24.4 but I don’t have a copy of the PAOM in front of me)

Example FTL – 2 days, 2 Nights (finish 0200hrs), 2 Off

On the first night the pilot flies an extended DP and finishes at 0230 Hrs and files a discretion report – No problem.

On the second night the pilot is required to attend an incident and again finishes at 0230 Hrs. – My interpretation is that this counts as an emergency call out, a discretion report is filed and he must now have 3 days off (1 rest day and the rostered 2 off)

Is my interpretation correct or does he just file the discretion report and leave it at that??

PS – I believe that it is Para 24 that lists the paragraphs applicable to the ‘deviation’ to the standard FTL. Does this mean those paragraphs listed should be read as part of the deviation or NOT as part of the deviation?

God this is boring stuff – Sorry!

Thomas coupling
21st Nov 2000, 04:52
First an emergency call out can only be called when the discretion extends beyond 1 hour, or, the total sum of all discretions in the last 7 days extends past 2 hours. Your example shows just 2 x discretions, nothing else (0230 each night =1 hour total).

Your supposition of an extended FDP rolling over into the day off, is correct. I.e. day off is nullified. And a day off must have 2 x nights to qualify.

P.S. The PAOM 1 doesn't mention..."rest days"...its a pigment of your constipation...

------------------
TC

Thomas coupling
21st Nov 2000, 04:58
The whole of Chapter 19, section 2 describes the : Standard Scheme.
Para 24 describes the Standard Variation system. All the sub para's mentioned, are related to the Standard Variation This as you can see is much more flexible for the operator, but not necessarily for the pilot!!

------------------
TC

Letsby Avenue
21st Nov 2000, 17:36
Thanks TC - Much as I thought. I asked the question because my management are interpreting the POM incorrectly and saying that an extension into a day off does not nullify it. Clearly this is a little tricky because I'm right and their wrong - Much diplomacy required!!!!!

psyclic
21st Nov 2000, 18:01
No diplomacy needed. Simply get the interpretation of your friendly Flight Ops Inspector.