PDA

View Full Version : Filtered tap water

HOGE
25th Oct 2005, 19:16
I have recently started filtering all my tap water through a jug water filter, and have noticed two things.

1. The kettle no longer furs up.

2. The amount of crap left in the filter that I had previously been drinking straight from the tap.

So the question is, do you think I am entitled to deduct the cost of filters from my water charges, since I was under the impression that the water companies are supposed to be delivering a quality product to my taps?

ExSimGuy
25th Oct 2005, 19:24
Just try getting the dosh out of the burgers!

Many moons ago, I asked the Water Authority to fix the drains in the garage area behind ESG Mansion. Thy replied that these were soak-aways and therefor not their responsibility.

Ah, so why was I being charged "water rates" on my garage, which had no running water and drains that weren't theirs?

Finally got the water-rates for the garage removed from the bill (and started a landslide of similar claims from neighbours:p )

African Tech Rep
25th Oct 2005, 19:27
You could try it – but don’t think you’ll get far.

Lots of what the filters catch isn’t THAT bad for you and comes under “allowable” and they don’t stop things that a REALLY bad for you – like Typhoid – we recently had an outbreak near me and doctors etc were busy explaining to people that even filtered water needed boiling to be safe.

If you get it analysed and can show the water had a greater amount of “compound x” than allowed – then you’ll get the filters paid for – and probably some “shut up” money.

tart1
25th Oct 2005, 19:33
Dream on ............ the water companies fleece their customers for every drop they use, and some drops they don't use as well.

I am currently paying a rather large amount each month for water and Anglian Water have told me that I am over-using for the number of people in my household and that there must be a leak on my property, which is of course my responsibility for mending.

I have done the leak test and, when all the water is switched off in the house and the stop-cock switched off, the meter does not go round, indicating that there is no leak. So why the heavy usage?......... no real idea and it is a great worry to me that somehow water is just pouring away somewhere and I have no idea where.

The water company is not being helpful, surprise, surprise.

BTW - we have had a water filter fitted in the sink (new filter every 6 months) for many years and it's great. It really cuts down on the crap in the kettle, as you have observed HOGE. :cool:

Wyler
25th Oct 2005, 19:36
You've got to have some c**p otherwise your body won't be able to cope with anything as soon as you go more than a mile from home.
If in doubt, give a bowl to the dog. If it's still wagging its tail an hour later, have a drink!!

Unwell_Raptor
25th Oct 2005, 19:44
Designer water is one of the most profitable scams in history. If you look up a decently academic and scientific website they will tell you that the stuff at £3.50 per litre in the restaurant is no different from the stuff at £.0000015 per litre in the tap or flushing the loo.

I buy my fizzy water from Tesco at £0.18 for 2 litres. I could pay twenty or thirty times more for the same stuff. But I don't.

tart1
25th Oct 2005, 19:47
UR, I also buy that fizzy water at Tesco for 18p a litre. It is table water and much better for you than mineral water, IMO. Too much mineral water is not healthy, so I have heard.

Sainsburys offers the same sort of thing for much the same price - brilliant. :cool: :cool:

With reference to the bits in tap water...............perhaps it is good roughage, ideal for adding fibre to the diet! :}

HOGE
25th Oct 2005, 19:50
On a related subject, can anybody recommend a good water softener system for my house?

tart1
25th Oct 2005, 20:01
A water softener is also a wonderful thing - got ours at the same time as the water filter. It's rather elderly now and requires feeding with copious bags of salt but it still produces lovely soft water. It's an Econominder something-or-other, probably not even still available.

Also very un-green, all that salt pouring down the drain.

Sorry, environment, I try to make up in other ways! :{

Dead_Heading
25th Oct 2005, 20:03
There is a trend for more heart disease/heart attacks in areas with soft water, I believe. Hence why I am more than happy to stick with the hard stuff.

Rollingthunder
25th Oct 2005, 22:31
The water in Oxfordshire is notoriously chalky. A Brita water filter helps out to make it tastier and keep sludge out of the kettle.

soddim
25th Oct 2005, 23:10
HOGE , I use one of these:

http://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-treatment-21_52/index.html?osCsid=5b2937be8e366fdc812c66b6deb40b47

Very good softener and, if you use the computerised version, no pain to use.

Same company does the filter systems and will continue to send cartridges for them at six-monthly intervals if you wish.

RiskyRossco
26th Oct 2005, 08:44
Sold water filters for a year or so. Here's a hint why. Ever seen a tin of chlorine on the store shelf? Notice the big, visible "Poison - Do Not Ingest" ( or some such.)

Councils use it much the same way plastic is used on food. It preserves the consumable til it reaches your gaff. And I don't eat the plastic off of my loaf of bread. Because it's in such minute quantity doesn't remove the "Poison" aspect. It's simply cost-effective damage control.
Two things: silt in the water severely reduces the effectiveness of chlorine and vegetable matter reacts none-too-salubriously with chlorine. Plus, boiling chlorinated water isn't a great long-term health improver.
Councils here do not report that chlorine-dosing systems aren't within effective parameters half the time.

The cost of a good (for that read solid carbon cartridge of half to one micron, renewable yearly) filter is about 4-5p per litre. What's bottled water at now? AND bottled water still holds a minute trace of chlorides since water isn't self-sterilising while it sits on shelves.
I can actually taste my coffee, too.
:cool:

Smeagol
26th Oct 2005, 11:13
Must respond to RiskyRossco

-----------------------------------------------------------
Because it's in such minute quantity doesn't remove the "Poison" aspect. It's simply cost-effective damage control.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Not medically qualified but have worked in the Water Industry in the UK (modification to water treatment plants).
How would you like to receive your water supply? Straight from the reservoir/river/borehole with no treatment sterilisation/filtration/testing?
Result would be plenty of bacteria etc that will not be removed by filtration available to most users. Back to the good old days of plague and pestillence from public water supplies!

Almost any substance is poisonous if taken in inappropriate quantities and many 'poisons' are beneficial in small quantities.
(I will stand correction from any Ppruners with more detailed knowledge)

Water providers (not councils in the UK but it may be different in your corner of the world) are very strictly controlled and take great care to ensure that the product they supply meets the statutory requirements. The rather cavalier approach you suggest:

------------------------------------------------------------
Councils here do not report that chlorine-dosing systems aren't within effective parameters half the time.
-------------------------------------------------------------

simply does not occur here, they cannot afford to take that attitude.

Finally a general note ( relevent to the UK ).

To those people who prefer to drink 'bottled' water rather than 'tap' water; be aware that there is far greater legislative control regarding the latter. The 'quality' of tap water is very strictly controlled, bottled water much less so.

Ok - Rant over!

Dead_Heading
26th Oct 2005, 11:19
What you get from your doctor, or from the chemist is "poison" in the right dosage.

Lon More
26th Oct 2005, 11:20
I split my time between UK and the Netherlands. When in the UK, near Folkestone, I notice that the tap water always smells of bleach so have been buying bottled water to make tea/coffee.

Krystal n chips
26th Oct 2005, 14:19
Dead Heading,
Where did you get the stats re soft / hard water and heart disease please ?

Reason for asking is that here in the North West the water has always been soft due to it's source, which for the Manchester area is the Lakes--never seen any reference to the potential for heart probs before hence the question.

Mind you, sometimes you can both taste and smell the chlorine in it as it comes out of the tap :yuk: --which is actually a fairly recent development sadly.

Dead_Heading
26th Oct 2005, 14:25
I studied it at a very low level in biology at one point, during statistical analysis etc, if you google Soft water heart disease links you get some good results.

link for an article which summarizes a variety of texts (go down to water) here (http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/Health-problems/Heart%20Disease%20-%20researchDiet&Lifestyle.htm)

I'll have a dredge for some papers on the matter.

here's one, showing a 10%-15% higher occurance of cardiovascular disease in soft water areas, even AFTER socio economic, environmental etc factors have been considered.

here (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/primcare-popsci/brhs/Bibliography/Abstracts/8104.htm)

airship
26th Oct 2005, 15:02
Anyone who's spent any time at sea on a small boat will be able to confirm how ridiculous if not obscene it is that we use the same mains water at home to:

1) drink and cook with.
2) do all the washing up.
3) bathe in.
4) do the laundry.
5) flush the loo.
6) water the garden.
7) wash the car.

etc.

Why can't we have 2 separate water supplies coming into every home in the 21st Century?!

Why don't washing machines sold in France have a hot water inlet as well as a cold one...?!

Smeagol
26th Oct 2005, 15:16
airship asks:

--------------------------------------------------------
Why can't we have 2 separate water supplies coming into every home in the 21st Century?!
--------------------------------------------------------

Answer:

Because it it TOO EXPENSIVE !!

airship
26th Oct 2005, 15:28
But WHY would it be TOO EXPENSIVE?

And couldn't the savings achieved from providing an even lower quality of water for the bulk of household consumption go a long way to off-setting the increased cost of a new second distribution system for truly potable water... ;)

Krystal n chips
26th Oct 2005, 15:29
Dead Heading----many thanks for those links:ok:

I found your last paragraph of particular interest given the high levels prominent in the region.