PDA

View Full Version : Vespa mandarinia japonica

UL730
25th Oct 2005, 17:07
Reading today about a fearsome black-and-orange creature called Vespa Mandarinia Japonica. Initially I thought it was a new “retro” scooter but it is in fact a rather nasty hornet that inhabits Japan.

Seems though - the Japanese are not overtly impressed with this critter.

Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University, in Tokyo, reports on its sting.

“It is a pain that you can never imagine until you have experienced it,”

He should know — he has been stung 200 times.

“It is profoundly shocking, like a red-hot 15cm nail rammed into your body. I have never grown accustomed to the pain.”

Well – I reckon Masoto old mate, if you haven’t grown accustomed to the pain of a 15” red hot nail rammed into your body by now – you probably never will.

Equally - Tadashige Otaka, the director - Urgent Action Section of the city of Matsudo, which is infested with Vespa Mandarinia Japonica, said:

“In the old days parents taught their children to be careful in dealing with the nests. But children these days are ignorant and sometimes try to smash the nests violently.”

Well, children if you want to go around smashing nests full of hornets over 5cms long perhaps the benefit is that you will be introduced to the World’s shortest learning curve.

I wonder how many folk in PrruneLand have a sting story?

Illustration (http://www.vespa-crabro.de/manda.htm)

G-CPTN
25th Oct 2005, 17:12
>Vespa Mandarinia Japonica. Initially I thought it was a new “retro” scooter but it is in fact a rather nasty hornet that inhabits Japan.

The description (and sound) seems to fit the scooter . . .
Shades of Crazy Frog . . .

Wyler
25th Oct 2005, 17:12
When I was nine years old I was by my garden gate holding my bike, about to go out with my mates. I was aware of a tickling sensation on then inside of my right knee. With both hands occupied, I knocked my left knee into the right to take care of the itch. The itch turned out to be a wasp and and I was stung.
I shouted F**k at the top of my voice. It was at that point that I realised my mother was behind me. At least the subsequent batterimg took my mind off the sting (for a while).:(

redsnail
25th Oct 2005, 17:39
For some strange reason I walked through a puddle of spilt juice swarming with bees. Copped about 8 bee stings in the foot.

Hurt a bit. :ugh:

Hairy Mary
25th Oct 2005, 18:01
I was sitting on a bench in a German train station eating a Mars bar and drinking a can of Coke. I took a swig from the can and felt something very painful on my tongue. I spat out a wasp that had crawled into the can.
I'm not a fluent German speaker so Herr doktor arzt looked at me in bewilderment when I tried to explain with my now swollen tongue; "Ich habe ein wespe stechen am meine zunge". It's not easy to say that even if you're German and have a healthy tongue.

G-CPTN
25th Oct 2005, 18:06
>"Ich habe ein wespe stechen am meine zunge". It's not easy to say that even if you're German and have a healthy tongue.

Once bought a 'funny' 'greetings' card (in German) with a mouse with a mousetrap on its nose reporting to a Hospital Casualty Desk, and the Receptionist saying 'can you speak more clearly?'

Onan the Clumsy
25th Oct 2005, 18:28
Is this the Heraldic Hornet?
Thorax and propodeum with golden tint, scutellum large with a medial deeply-impressed line, postscutellum bulging and overhanging the propodeum, beneath the postcutellum in transverse hollow produced triangularly down from the middle and continued as a medial furrow to the apex of the propodeum.

Forelegs are orange with dark brown tarsi, the mid- and hind legs dark brown. Wings are fuscous brown; tegulae also brown.

Gaster pruinose, dark brown; with narrow yellow bands at the posterior margins of the tergite, the sixth segment is entirely yellow.

Vespa mandarinia is easily recognized by the head which is strongly widened and produced behind the compound eyes, first to fifth of gastral segments dark brown; with narrow yellow bands at the margins of the tergites, sixth segment entirely yellow.

...that and the fact that it's almost three inches long! :ooh:

Jerricho
25th Oct 2005, 18:52
Yeah, it does sound like the hornets we used to be sh*t scared of as kids, cause there was some urban legen going round if it stung you it could kill you on the spot. The make nice little mud nests that they fill up with dead spiders for their young.

I mean come on, bitey things that kill you Australia.....yeah right.

broadreach
25th Oct 2005, 21:32
Wouldn't like to stumble over one of those nests.

Two sting stories.

First was when I was twelve, "exploring" in not very deep jungle. An urgent call of nature took me off the path into heavier bush. It was only after I'd pulled my trousers back up and buckled my belt that I realised I'd lowered them on a little mound of fire ants.

Much later I had a young pet coati (bear family, like a raccoon with a long nose, pure mischief). It was up a tree one afternoon, right over my head, when it started shrieking and tumbled down, bouncing from branch to branch and flailing about. When it hit the grass I knelt down to see what the hell was wrong with it. Found out smart like when the swarm from the wasp's nest he'd raked through and which was chasing him down, found me.

henry crun
25th Oct 2005, 21:37
While in Fiji I was stung by what I was told was a hornet.

The description of the sting "like a red-hot 15cm nail rammed into your body" is entirely accurate !

Blacksheep
27th Oct 2005, 02:44
I reckon broadreach has discovered the source of the great Orstraylian "Drop-Bear" legend. :)

Jerricho
27th Oct 2005, 04:02
"It grabs ya head...........by the head"

Classic.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Oct 2005, 08:41
Got caught up in a swarm of bees at the boarding point of a local skydiving club. A mate who reacted at the speed of a striking slug to any new information got a bee in his ear while strolling away from the swarm and proceeded to slap it...... - while holding a St Christopher helmet in that hand. Oh, how we laughed...

When he woke up we regaled him and everyone else within earshot with the story of his folly to add insult to injury. He still hasn't lived down the fact that he floored himself...:E