PDA

View Full Version : Very strange??!

ex_matelot
25th Oct 2005, 15:59
Bloke removes son's dead body from plane crash site before investigators turn up...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1025planecrash25.html

cyclicmicky
25th Oct 2005, 16:05
Another tragedy involving a young person in an aircraft...how must his dad have felt.
The report goes on to say thisDonn Walker of the FAA's Los Angeles regional office said their investigator showed up shortly after the Casa Grande police and was baffled.

"He called up and said we just had a plane crash but can't find the body," Walker said. "It's one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard."

Walker said that the victim had neither a pilot's license nor a valid student pilot's certificate and that the plane, a 1961 Nord owned by the Lundells, was not registered.
Condolances to the family.

ex_matelot
25th Oct 2005, 16:10
Is it really that easy in the US for an unlicensed to be able to gain access and fly an aircraft?

G-CPTN
25th Oct 2005, 16:19
>Is it really that easy in the US for an unlicensed to be able to gain access and fly an aircraft?

It is if it's your OWN aircraft - just as with cars in the UK.

con-pilot
25th Oct 2005, 16:21
No itís really not, however in case it appears that the father owned the aircraft involved and for some inexplicable reason the father allowed the son to fly without a valid license, allegedly. Remember that this is what the media is reporting, may not be the entire truth.

cyclicmicky
25th Oct 2005, 16:26
The report say's the accident happened at Casa Grande Municipal Airport....is there an ATC..security...do you have to book out??
After 9/11 I am led to beleive security at all airports in the USA is tighter than ever.
Think I will wait for the FAA report rather than read the press, I am with Conpilot on this one.

ex_matelot
25th Oct 2005, 16:49
Cant seem to find anything else on the web about this story.

con-pilot
25th Oct 2005, 16:56
Casa Grande airport is in the middle of nowhere between Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona. It didnít use to have any ATC what so ever, could have changed by now however. But even if there was a control tower the controllers would have no idea if the pilot had a license or not, not their job. Also for a local flight for training in the pattern there would no flight plan filed.

African Tech Rep
25th Oct 2005, 21:29
The earlier quote also says Not Registered Ė I would wonder why not.
On the other hand the article says it had a N number ??

Itís not overly expensive to Register a plane and it doesnít have to be airworthy to be Registered

Onan the Clumsy
26th Oct 2005, 02:56
book out? wtf does that mean? :confused:

Maude Charlee
26th Oct 2005, 15:40
Onan

Sort of like the aviating equivalent of telling your mother where you're going, who you're with and when you'll be back. Basically lying to ATC. :D