PDA

View Full Version : Chopper - How could you not have wanted one!?

Farrell
25th Oct 2005, 15:10
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/71chpage.jpg
Particulary scary is the 'ball shifter' as mentioned in the very small print at the bottom - named, I assume, for what it did to the young troopers who slipped off the saddle!

GearDown&Locked
25th Oct 2005, 15:17
Heyyy!! I had one of those, the 5 speed type, green it was.
Just like a Harley for kids at the time :ok:

GD&L

lasernigel
25th Oct 2005, 15:18
No this was a lot better.Choppers weren't around when I was a lad.Mine had centre pull Mafac brakes.10 campag gear and cotterless chainset.Hetchins were known for their curly frames.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/lasernigel/Hetchins.jpg
:ok:

B Fraser
25th Oct 2005, 15:18
Here are some of my drinking buddies.... Le Mans Chopper Display Team (http://www.beermountain.com/1664%20Squadron.htm)

Is Mr Disco out there anywhere ?

Pip Pip !

airship
25th Oct 2005, 15:20
Too many points required! :sad:

But I distinctly recall having bought sufficient comic books for some free "instant sea horses" whatever they really were, and awaiting receipt of same by the postman (this was prolly in India or Malaysia in the '70s). Whatever, they never arrived... :{

Farrell
25th Oct 2005, 15:33
Ha ha B Fraser.....that's made me laugh!

ComJam
25th Oct 2005, 15:35
B Fraser

Nice one :D

I had a smaller version of the chopper as a kid, a Tomahawk I think it was.

Of course all the cool kids had Grifters....

timmcat
25th Oct 2005, 15:38
... and if you missed it first time round.... link (http://www.dalescycles.com/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13370)

(notice they've got rid of the short thrust ball breaker this time)

cyclicmicky
25th Oct 2005, 15:50
Never had one as a kid...Dad said they was too expensive!!
One of my mates had one though....lucky sod.
I am a big kid now!!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a30/Mickpeake/helipicsjosh005.jpg
:D :D :}

tony draper
25th Oct 2005, 15:54
If anybody is interested theres a spiffing yellow1974 Rayliegh Chopper in me cellar, pristine condition,Bro even blew up the tyres a few weeks ago and one had a pedal about the road ont ,front brake needs some attention.
:cool:

cyclicmicky
25th Oct 2005, 15:58
That ud be one of the original ones Mr Drapes...they wuz all yellow....and had a Tbar gear shifter...for catching yer bits on if yer stopped unexpectedly:ooh: :ooh:

gas path
25th Oct 2005, 16:10
cyclicmicky
Is that there helicopter sitting on some sort of launch pad? I was under the impression that they went up vertical like:confused: :p

cyclicmicky
25th Oct 2005, 16:20
Me being a liitle heavy these day's 94kg...I like to get a little more lift with a running take off!!
That's my lad looking nervous:E on the co-pilots side!!

HandspringGuy
25th Oct 2005, 23:44
If anybody is interested theres a spiffing yellow1974 Rayliegh Chopper in me cellar, pristine condition
Mr.D, is that the same Chopper you were trying to shift several months ago?

I used to have one, complete with CB aerial and flag (very cool....til it was half-inched :\ )

tony draper
25th Oct 2005, 23:57
Well it weren't me,one bought that Chopper Bike fair and square for cash money for nephews chrisy box in 74, he also got a Keelkraft Control line Hurricane with a wee diesel engine that flew round and round in circles,though that got a bit boring ater while that did, that is also in ones cellar.

The Devil's Advocate
26th Oct 2005, 00:15
Mr D, you should check out ebay, there selling the 70's version on there for over 200, and there's a lot of people bidding for them, nice christmas present for somebody ;)

tony draper
26th Oct 2005, 09:50
Well one would give the matter some concideration were not that said Chopper in theory is still the property of ones nephew, and from a rather small cove one could safely give a clip around the lug said nephew has grewed into a rather large policeman.
:uhoh:
One also has his rather extensive LP collection strored here as well, and a large quantity of books plus a bin liner filled with hiking boots trainers footy footwear and interestingly a policemans helmet and a couple of truncheons
One of the unwritten rules of the universe states that anyone in possesion of a couple of spare rooms will in the fullness of time find them stuffed to the picture rails with the possesions of ones relatives,just untill they get the new house sorted of course.
:(

MonkeyAlan
26th Oct 2005, 11:06
Maybe my memory is not what it used to be but back in the day, I don't remember the chopper being a cult bike.... i had a tomahawk formula 3 (limited edition with the sturmey 3 speed gear system) and then, at chopper age (about 9) i went for the grifter. A few people had choppers but they weren't considered cool. in fact, they were slow, wouldn't go around corners, threw you through the bars if you hit a kerb and got very wobbly if you tried to change gear at speed....

what was cool in those days, but tended to be property of the 13-16 year olds was a racer (normally only 5 speed) with upturned drop handlbars or cowhorns...... if you rode one of them and had a motorhead t shirt, the world was at your feet.....

nostalia isn't what it used to be, but then again, it never was...

Conan the Librarian
26th Oct 2005, 11:54
Remember ther Chopper well. About 1969 or 70 for the first appearance I think. There was a kid just over the road that had one immdediately on release - as he did with everything, or so it seemed. I used to drool over that Chopper until I rode it.

Me? More hardy. Mum and Dad provided me with a one pedalled, square wheeled and corroded Penny Farthing that I loved and used until I was 11 or 12, by which time Girlies were proving to be more of an interest.

Conan

phnuff
26th Oct 2005, 11:59
Chopper - How could you not have wanted one!?

I've got one mate. Damned things got me into trouble all my life.

Long may it continue

tony draper
26th Oct 2005, 12:04
One is abit supprised the Velocipede has not made a come back, no pedals, just pushed along by the feet,surely that is the kind of thing would appeal to the health nuts.
Hmmm we could be on to summat here chaps,

Blacksheep
27th Oct 2005, 01:36
No Choppers in my youth. We turned our bikes into "Trackers" by removing the mudguards, fitting knobbly tyres and putting the handlebars on backwards. We rode them "off-road" at a local claypit. One false move and you were in the lake.

Choppers? We'd have loved one.