PDA

View Full Version : Pilot retention

stikker
11th Jun 2001, 03:11
Why would you consider leaving the job and what would encourage you to stay, realistic ideas

Arm out the window
11th Jun 2001, 12:50
What job are you talking about?

stikker
11th Jun 2001, 13:03
public transport heli

212man
11th Jun 2001, 14:00
probably the biggest disincentive to stay would be the feeling that every year closer to retirement was a a year closer to being first in line for the chop come redundancy day; as we have seen in recent years. I believe that is no longer possible with new employment laws but may be wrong.

Any attempt to wind up our final salary pension scheme would also go down very badly.

------------------
Another day in paradise

stikker
12th Jun 2001, 00:37
I think Balpa took a case against the last operator to adapt the policy of chopping from the top it is unlikely we will see this again.

Am I right in saying one of the main incentives for staying for those that have it has been the final salary pension scheme.

212man
13th Jun 2001, 15:38
I would guess it is a major consideration.

One idea that could be tried in order to retain pilots might be a form of loyalty scheme; say, enhanced salary and pension for long service. Let's say the normal increments for a Captain go to year 20 then stop, how about having another set of increments from year 15 to 25 at a higher rate. That way you would be better paid for longer and your pension would be enhanced. To qualify you would have to have done, let's say, 15 years as a captain without any serious incidents or accidents (pilot induced) and perhaps have a minimum number of hours (factored for those in executive or trainning roles).

Those on the new scale could be called Senior Captains..........

No, that would never work!

------------------
Another day in paradise