PDA

View Full Version : British Caledonian's international network?

newscaster
25th Oct 2005, 11:54
Any one know where all BCAL flew to worldwide before BA took over, also would like to know what routes did they and BA exchange before the merger.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Oct 2005, 12:13
Most of their routes were to Africa, South and North Ameica and Europe

If I can remember where is it is I have an old timetable of theirs from busiest times

Just found this site
http://www.airchive.com/Timetables%20and%20Maps/UK2004/*BCALmap8503.jpg

http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/TIMETABLES-UK.html

If you right click on maps it expands them

G-I-B

The SSK
25th Oct 2005, 12:38
Summer 1988 schedule:
Gatwick to
Aberdeen Abidjan Accra Amsterdam Antwerp* Atlanta Banjul Brussels Dallas Dhahran Douala Dubai Dusseldorf* Edinburgh Frankfurt Freetown Gaborone Geneva Genoa Glasgow Hong Kong Houston Jeddah Jersey Kano Kinshasa Lagos Luanda Manchester Milan Monrovia Muscat Nice Paris Riyadh Rotterdam* Tokyo Tunis

Also Moscow tech stop e/r Tokyo
*BCal Commuter flown by Connectair

interestedparty
25th Oct 2005, 15:09
I remember they used to use BAC 1-11s down the West Coast of Africa - must have been a touch like the "old " days - I suppose it was the old days!

FOZ
25th Oct 2005, 16:59
They took over the Saudi routes in 1985 from BA. The swap with BA was all the South American routes for some African (particularly West coast) and Saudi Arabian routes.

Riyadh, Jeddah and Dharan were served with DC10-30 - and the crews had usually 5 - 7 night stopovers!

DC10FAN
25th Oct 2005, 18:20
As mentioned in earlier post, BCAL operated B1-11s to W Africa; typical rotuing in 1977:

Gatwick-Casablanca-Las Palmas-Banjul-Freetown and return.

chipsbrand
26th Oct 2005, 06:53
BCAL's route network was constantly changing. When they were formed in 1970 the airline was predominately charter with a few scheduled services. By the late 1970's it was almost all scheduled. But many of the routes were unprofitable so the airline was always looking for better opportunities, hence the constantly evolving network. In the 1970's the long haul network was West Africa and South America but this changed dramatically after the Falklands war which left S America in ruins for them.

Throughout the life of the company the Number 1 route was Lagos. Until it went sour in 1986 as a result of the devaluation of the local currency (Naira) and a ban on currency transfers this route supported the entire airline. In 1982-3, the first year of 747 operations on this route Lagos made a £32 million profit for the airline. No single route has ever made this much profit for any other airline ever.

Towards the end of the company in 1987 the fleet was 5 B747's, 8 DC10's and 13 1-11's. Long haul operations were to JFK, LAX, PHX, SAN, DFW, IAH, DFW, DHA, RUH, JED, TYO, SSN, HKG, DXB,LUN, LOS, KAN, ACC, ABJ, FNA, BJL. Short haul network was GLA, EDI, MAN, ABZ, CDG, BRU, FRA, GVA, JER, AMS, NCE, GOA, LIN.

The airline had plans to expand but these were effectively destroyed by the severe financial losses which forced the BA takeover.