PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed to or not?

tall and tasty
25th Oct 2005, 08:08
Hi everyone

Nothing nicer than walking into work with the Radio on full blast and Bon Jovi booming out to “Living on a Prayer” or what ever is on at the time.

But I have worked for the last 9 years in positions where I was not allowed to listen to the radio. Studies have shown that it actually increase work force output. So why do so many employers frown on it?

So do you work in an office where the Victorian attitude of “workers are seen and not heard” or are you allowed the privilege of listen to the radio at work. I understand there are certain positions where it may not look professional but I think it lifts moral and gets people working better.

Have fun!

TnT

Nickoli
25th Oct 2005, 08:12
Although some people bring hand held radios into work I just use my p'c to listen to the radio on the internet. The company that I work for is victorian but times are changing and I think the attitude to things like this is.

Mr Lexx
25th Oct 2005, 08:41
I copied my CD collection onto my work pc, and play them all day (quetly of course, but no one seems to mind.......)

Gouabafla
25th Oct 2005, 08:49
Both my wife and I work from home, so we can make our own rules. However, Mrs G can't concentrate if the radio is on and I can't concentrate if it isn't. So I work in the office listening to music and she uses the dining room table. Of course this means that Mrs G is downstairs and nearer to the coffee making apparatus.

phoenix son
25th Oct 2005, 08:49
Morning Mr Lexx, what're you doing in here?

(Should one mention what today is?)

Grainger
25th Oct 2005, 08:59
Hey TnT;

You could always go for clandestine radio-listening.

Get yourself one of those mobile phones with an MP3 player and FM radio built-in. I have one and it works quite well. So you could hitch an earpiece to the phone and tune in. If anyone comes along to your cubicle, you can just hold the phone up and say "... so I want those contracts signed and on my desk by Monday !!".

No-one need ever know - just make sure you don't sing along !!!

TheFlyingSquirrel
25th Oct 2005, 08:59
Hi TnT - You sure that VeeAny isn't trying to get you to dance ?

BombayDuck
25th Oct 2005, 09:06
the Victorian attitude

My compamy has an attitude that goes back to maybe Richard the Lionheart... or anyhow to an era when your ancestors hadn't left the shores of Blighty....

There are those who listen to FM radio or MP3s from their desktops with little speakers hidden in the keyboard trays, but nowhere as good for the entertainment of the entire office. Its sad, one loves to listen to music while concentrating. Got through my engineering exams in a similar fashion....

BlueDiamond
25th Oct 2005, 09:06
(Should one mention what today is?)
Of course you should because we're all curious now. :p

I think it's the difficulty of finding a radio station that everyone likes, t&t. It's all right if you're listening to your i-pod or a similar device but I think it could be a distraction to some folk to have a radio playing that everyone could hear. I'm with Gouabafla on this one ... I prefer near silence while working. Even when I'm at home during the day I will not have television or a radio on. Drives me nuts.

Avtrician
25th Oct 2005, 09:35
It could also be a licensing problem, I know that here in Oz, some companies have had to turn off radios or face prosecution. Something to do with royalties on the music and broadcasting for entertainment???

planepsycho
25th Oct 2005, 11:15
When we aren't busy at work we are allowed to listen to music, we download it from the internet, burn cd's and occasionally the airport bums bring their guitars in and play those. Of course it sounds like the grand ole opry after a while, but it's pretty entertaining:D

tony draper
25th Oct 2005, 11:29
Some trades on construction sites cannot function wihout a Ghetto Blaster at full throttle a foot from their heads,twas the cause of much dissention and many scuffles, Painters where particularly prone to this weird perversiom for some reason, it got so bad that radios were banned from most construction sites, you will see a notice at the entrance to building sites Hard Hats must be worn Ghetto Blasters not allowed on this site.
:cool:

AIRWAY
25th Oct 2005, 11:39
When the boss is not around, i turn on "Magic" radio station, the mp3 player... :O :} :ok:

mazzy1026
25th Oct 2005, 11:40
I have suggested so many times that we should be allowed to use the PC's to listen to music. I am not in a customer environment, and don't deal with the public directly. I can happily be on my pooter all day working on a project that requires no intervention by anyone or anything, and would love to be able to plug my headphones in and listen to tunes. The excuse from higher up is that "you wont hear your phone" or something stupid like that........... All the PC's in the office have nice expensive soundcards that never get used.........Barstewards :{

GearDown&Locked
25th Oct 2005, 11:52
Yes, in my office we have a pc always tuned to internet radio, at low volume. Some people tried handheld radios before but they won't work inside the building (faraday's cage issues).

Sometimes when I speak to a costumer on the phone, it gets hard to "read" what the guy is saying while his radio is at full power on the background ( just when you were bombarded minutes before with stupid electronic music loops from the answering phone system).:yuk:

GD&L

RJM
25th Oct 2005, 12:03
Luxury. I worked for several years in an office where the owner/boss objected to 'hilarity in the office' and requested that we keep our laughter outside. We drew a semi-circle outside the front door and if we wanted to tell a joke or laugh we would go outside the line. :( That firm folded a few years ago, I might add. :E

GearDown&Locked: What exactly is a 'costumer' in relation to your employment?? (although I understand if you'd rather not discuss it) :bored:

barit1
25th Oct 2005, 12:10
I play classical music, or some old big band tracks, just to keep the acidheads away. Great for repelling undesirable nuisances!

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2005, 12:10
Er... I'm afraid I'm one of those bosses who won't allow it for a number of reasons.

- Some people find it distracting (myself included).

- Arguments ensuing as to which station the radio is tuned to. I don't want to subjected to other people's dodgy music tastes and I wouldn't expect them to be subjected to mine! And no radio station plays the stuff I like to listen to.

- Even if one doesn't work in customer services, I think it gives a bad impression to any telephone callers if they can hear music in the background plus the background noise might mean you have to shout.

I would have no objection if somebody wanted to listen to the radio through earphones but I wouldn't expect to have to physically grab their attention if I needed to speak to them.

I was also more than happy to allow a TV in the office when the World Cup was (c/w beer and pizza).

Cheers

Whirls (party pooper I know)

bear11
25th Oct 2005, 12:33
I'm with Whirlygig - nothing as bad as being trapped having to listen to gank FM or Ravey Davey Gravey, apart from customers having to listen to it also on the phones. It depends very much on your work situation, though - I was in an office recently where a mate does high-end software, all the geeks had MP3 players or were using headphones off the PC, he claimed he couldn't concentrate in an open plan office environment and his music was the only thing that allowed him to do his job.

CWL2YOW
25th Oct 2005, 12:46
I remember reading (a couple of years back possibly in the Sunday Times) that the BBC had to pipe in bird song and background noises into some of their admin offices as they were too quiet (un-naturally quiet). Studies backed up these claims by saying that workers are more productive in an environment which contains noise as opposed to total silence.

I work for a consulting firm and seeing people plugged into an mp3 player or their PC is a very common sight in my office. Some of the admin staff play music very quietly through radios. None of the above is frowned on as far as I am aware.

What I do miss is the fantastic elevator music we used to have years ago (said firmly tongue in cheek). Anyone remember that scene from Airplane with the elevator music?!

African Tech Rep
25th Oct 2005, 13:14
Avtrician made a good point – when I was younger I worked in a small shop (five / six people inc owners and “secretary”) we had a radio on quite enough that we could talk to customers – it was nice background music – one day someone from the Performing Rights Society came in and insisted we pay them (the society) a sum of money as we were allowing others to listen (ie the customers) and they in turn would pass some of that money to the “royalty holders”.
I actually thought it was very petty and never really did work out how they ensure the correct proportion gets to the correct “royalty holder” – that was after looking them up cause first thought was p**s take.
We simply turned the radio off – on their “follow up visit” cause we hadn’t paid they weren’t exactly happy – in fact I think they threatened legal action as we had HAD a radio on, but I don’t remember them following through with that.

hoofie
25th Oct 2005, 13:24
In my office, most people just plug headphones into their Pc's and listen to their own cd's. I work in software development and everyone to a man [or woman] does this. It's an open plan office so it helps to shut out noise but it also helps you concentrate. When the phone rings, some software on the pc's creates a ringing tone in your headphones also !

In my previous job, we used to get some dirty looks from the top man about it [we were the only ones who listened to music in a building of 200 people] but when it was explained to him that it aids concentration he was happy.

Radio's however are a complete no-no as it will be intrusive to someone.

Krystal n chips
25th Oct 2005, 14:44
No problem at all in my place of work TnT----the van ! :p --however, when in the car or at home and Ms K n C is present--the female concept of "democracy" invariably applies ;) :{

Jerricho
25th Oct 2005, 14:46
Oh lofty one,

You really are a product of the 80's

;)

Darth Nigel
25th Oct 2005, 14:57
Here, you can listen to whatever you want as long as you wear headphones. Got the pocket MP3 player cranked and I'm typing away like a mad thing.

I've occasionally been accused of singing along, but I think theu're just jealous of my deep baritone singing voice.

frostbite
25th Oct 2005, 15:02
ATR - time must have dimmed your memory.

The bandits from the PRS do not have any jurisdiction over playing radio broadcasts to the public.

You must have been playing records/tapes/cds to get them drooling.

Dak Mechanic
25th Oct 2005, 15:21
Even headphones are frowned upon here - apparently we wouldn't hear the fire alarm!! I think the clue there would be the loud siren noise and everyone running for the exits (and at the worse case a strong smell of smoke and an increase in temperature).

Personally I'd love to have a radio at work, as it might keep me awake...

JC

redsnail
25th Oct 2005, 16:14
I keep the radio on at work. It's a boring chat show sort of thing with audience participation.

If you win, you get to either take off or land.

Darth Nigel
25th Oct 2005, 16:15
Does it remind you to duck when doing the walk-around????

flyblue
25th Oct 2005, 16:16
If you win, you get to either take off or land.
...or you get a slot as penalty :D

redsnail
25th Oct 2005, 16:40
Slot? The bloody aeroplane slotted me a bewdy the other night. Ouch.

:ouch:

flyblue
25th Oct 2005, 16:46
The bloody aeroplane slotted me a bewdy the other night.
just to remain in tune with the thread, you can try and serenade it next time with Oh baby, you are soooo vicious http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/musik/music-smiley-013.gif

tall and tasty
the music played in our "offices" is called "boarding music" and after the first thousand times you get to hate it with a passion :ugh:

Farrell
25th Oct 2005, 16:47
Some people...and I'm sure a techy like Mr. Draper will back me up on this.....can hear the radio through their tooth fillings! :8

cyclicmicky
25th Oct 2005, 16:51
"cleared to lift and depart VFR"...music to my ears!!!
Emirates boarding sounds is one of the better ones...I spose they all get on yer nerves after a while though Madame Flybleu
:rolleyes:

redsnail
25th Oct 2005, 17:03
Our esteemed Slasher used to play AC/DC's Highway to Hell as boarding music. :E

African Tech Rep
25th Oct 2005, 17:19
Frostbite – time has dimmed my memory about many things – but there is no way we were playing tapes or records and I think CD’s were either being thought about or the new thing about to come out.

I know this partly because what we using was a walkie talkie with built in radio – purchased from my fathers company and sold on my suggestion as at the time walkie talkies were popular.

It is possible that the PRS people were over zealous or just t***s – but it was definitely Red Dragon radio we were listening too.
Maybe we would have a good argument if they had pushed the court case etc – but my boss felt the easy route was called for and switched the radio off – as I remember it also can’t be he just wanted it off partly because I was “boss” when they first came so they told me first and I told him – and partly cause he could just have said No radio – he was after all the shops owner.

Darth Nigel
25th Oct 2005, 17:22
Many many moons ago, flying BA (no, not BOAC so sit down) on the red-eye from Montreal Mirabel(?) to LHR.

As an accelerated dawn came up, one heard very very softly over the PA muzak system "Here comes the sun". Top moment.

African Tech Rep
25th Oct 2005, 17:23
Dak mech – if you work for who I think you do they have CHANGED – when we were converting the sprayers there was music everywhere. But then again the “line hut” in the hanger was a smoking area then – guess that’s changed as well.

flyblue
25th Oct 2005, 17:51
they all get on yer nerves after a while though
Absolutely! And something that gets on my nerves too is when someone "forces" me to listen music I don't like. The guy who chooses the music at the supermarket where I shop should be hung by his toes and whipped :* (by another man, of course, or he might like it :rolleyes: )

Jerricho
25th Oct 2005, 17:54
What is it with you lot and flagellation?

terryJones
25th Oct 2005, 18:37
Farrell
It is possible due to 'The Rusty Bolt Effect' where two disimilar metals can creat a device with similar properties to the old 'Cats Whisker' crystal set.

Farrell
25th Oct 2005, 21:51
Ahhhhh the old crystal sets......I remember building one as a wee lad in Dublin.

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2005, 22:46
I have to listen to two radios at work.

There's not much on 121.5 apart from airline pilots and the odd Practice Pan.

Heathrow Special is one of my favourite programmes. To be honest the music isn't up to much and the discussions do tend to be a bit repetitive, but they do provide a very useful service.

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2005, 22:47
Hey ShyT,

are the traffic reports any good on those? I need to know about hold-ups on the North Walsham Road caused by the daily potato wagons - can they update me for those?

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2005, 23:01
It's traffic hold-ups that keep folk like me in a job, don't you know, Ms. Whirls! I'm not going to be giving away any trade secrets now....... ;)

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2005, 23:07
Trade secrets? Trade secrets? Aren't we both (sort of) in the same trade? C'mon, you can tell l'il ol' Whirl-sie

Cheers

MISS Whirls

Can't be doing with any of this MS. nonsense - people might think I'm either a tree-hugging feminist or a ball-bustin' lesbian!

Foss
26th Oct 2005, 00:05
Don't have the radio on, but do have the tv on, news and weather and stuff.. but if the system crashes and you go into the IT dept they're all playing Quake over the servers.
:*

Flash2001
26th Oct 2005, 01:03
In another life was a supervisor on a factory floor. Desk against wall facing floor. First morning, head banging rock from the floor, couldn't hear yourself think. Bought me a large boom box, placed it on desk facing out. Next morning, first thing, RAF March Past at 98 dBA followed by the pipes and drum of the 48th Highlanders. We soon came to an agreement!

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!