PDA

View Full Version : MAS or SIA?

kucinghitam
25th Oct 2005, 00:38
Hi ppl. Wanna seek some advise on how much difference are there between being a pilot for MAS and SIA, especially the pay and perks in the long run from my tenure as a cadet pilot right up to captain. I understand the obvious reasons that SIA pays in Singapore Dollar whereas MAS pays in Malaysian Ringgit. But isn't there a single wage standard whereby the Airliner has to follow? Thanx and good luck to all cadets who made it for the interview..god speed!

CAT IIIB
25th Oct 2005, 18:29
There is no single wage standard that an airline has to follow.:D

It is all supply and demand factor.

Some airlines do pay 'peanuts' though.

guybrush
25th Oct 2005, 21:51
Peanuts by international standards could be diamonds by local standards. It's all relative to where a person currently lives and/or plans to live after retiring from flying.

Cheers,
guybrush

MAStake
25th Oct 2005, 23:05
....... and peanuts will be what you get for the satay sauce in satayland.

kucinghitam
26th Oct 2005, 00:31
thanx all for the tips and the satay recipe. But what are the min wage structure like? Eg. SIA Cadet Pilot are paid S$750 a month allowance until they graduate..but what about the min wage after that as a SO, JSO, and so on? A pilot's wage is something which is kinda hard to gauge, unlike any other profession whereby we can make an estimate. Tx again..

jollyt
26th Oct 2005, 10:49
Blackcat
The cadet pilot pay in SQ varies with your educational background. The S$750 is at the bottom of the scale. Expect quite a bit more if you have a degree.

kucinghitam
26th Oct 2005, 13:22
hi jollyt,
thanx for the tip. i assume MAS will also paying peanuts plus satay sauce..in the region of <RM1k...:(

HectorXVIII
27th Oct 2005, 13:59
Hey Kucing Hitam,

Salary wise either in Singapore Dollars or Ringgit. Whatever you get you have to spend there. Eg: you earn SGD 1000. Coke cost SGD 1. You earn RM 1000. Coke cost RM 1. Thus, not relevant to compare in currency wise unless you plan to stay in JB.

kucinghitam
27th Oct 2005, 14:27
hi hector,
I understand the theory of 'u spend where u earn' but in the long run, I can see most of my finances parking in malaysia. At the end of the day, earnings in other currency still has its advantages due to the fact that the cost of living in malaysia is getting higher but current salary remain constant. By managing my finances well, I'll be saving most of my earnings and channel back part of it into properties back in MY, whilst spending wisely when I'm off duty in Singapore. With the perks SIA is offering, I think its more than enough..period. I'll go JB once in a while for bak kut teh la..cheers!

EverettWings
27th Oct 2005, 16:10
SQ cadets earn a basic allowance of around S$1,200 in the initial 2 stages of training at SLE and JDK. That is basically money to save since SQ provides everything a cadet could possibly need at SFC. The allowance increases at the advanced stage at MCY and again as a 2nd. Officer in training. I'm not sure what the MAS guys get at MFA.

The bulk of SQ cadets are degree holders with a fair amount of work experience so that might account for the higher training allowance for asian standards.

From what I've heard (may be unreliable), there are FO's who live in JB who commute to Changi. I'm not sure how feasible that is. Then there's the question of the days when they're on standby.

Anyways, there's truth in Hector's words. The cost of living here is higher. But the living conditions are better at SFC...that based on the accounts of MFA guys who drop by at SFC.

kucinghitam
27th Oct 2005, 17:42
hi everettwings,
Appreciate your info and kind reply. I believe the allowance given is more than enough for a cadet. I don't quite like the idea of travelling from JB to Changi because its just too inconvenient. Thats just my personal opinion.

Based on your comment about degree holders, it got me worried a lilttle now because I dont have one. I only have full credits for all my subject in GCE equivalent and a diploma in Advertising and Marketing. However, I have working experience in a international Japanese ad agency and a royal Dutch shipping line before. Hope these add weight to my application.

Once again, thanks a lot sir!

CAT IIIB
28th Oct 2005, 03:35
Hello BlackCat,

First of all,are you getting into SIA or MAS?

From my observation,comparing dollar to dollar,the wages between these two airlines are about the same just that they are paid in different currencies.

In MFA as a MAS Cadet,you will be given a 'hefty' allowance of RM300-00 until you get your ATPL/IR.
After reporting at MAS,you will be given RM800-00 as Cadet allowance per month.
After you clear online,your wage will follow the salary structure that they have.
After getting enough experience and ratings in MAS,if you move on to the middle east or any other airline for that matter,from then on,you will cease getting your "pilot training salary@peanuts" and start earning a real pilot salary instead.Got it?

On a second note,it is true if you can save and spend wisely while you are in SIA,you will have more money for retirement compared to if you are to be with MAS.
But,although money is important,it isn't everything.You know what I mean?
Career progress and rumeneration aside,as far as working atmosphere is concerned,MAS is still the best!

kucinghitam
28th Oct 2005, 05:27
hi felineIIIB,
I've submitted both my applications to MAS and SIA. No preferences on both because from the info I gathered, both are equally good.

Understand that the working environment and career 'progression' is more important than pay for a start, especially since I'm starting from zero. Getting into any of the above airline is already a blessing, thus I have no demands. They don't owe me a living so to speak.

On the career progression part after enough experience and ratings, is it that easy for Pilots just to switch over to other airline? Aren't they bonded for a min of 10 years? Sorry, I'm not too sure about the T&C of pilot bond and how it affect one's career. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Thanks to all who replied and do wish me luck..lots of them :) Cheers!

EverettWings
28th Oct 2005, 06:04
Interesting to finally hear what's going on on the MAS side of things. The bond agreement for SQ (available on SQ's career website) is 7 years, that on appointment as first officer. Wasn't MAS's 14 years!!. I may be wrong. Care to share, CATIIIB? A check on MAS's website reveals no details on the training bond. Curious as to what you mean by better "working atmosphere" in MAS as opposed to in SQ. But let's leave that to another thread.

KHitam, A diploma with work experience sounds good to me. Keep trying and don't give up. As for a choice of which airline to join, well rarely in today's age do we have a choice. And I think Malaysians, Singaporeans, Bruneians, Hong Kong residents, South Africans...etc are lucky that cadet schemes are actually available to them. It's way more tough for my buddies back home who work their butts off from the bottom rung only to fly CRJ's and Embraers for the regionals. I do know someone who turned down the MAS scheme in favor of SQ though. So keep that passion and that spirit up. Grab any opportunity you get..whether for SQ or MAS. Both are highly regarded among passengers. ;)

All the best!

kucinghitam
28th Oct 2005, 06:11
Hi EW,
Those are kind and encouraging words! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! There are nothing more 'torturing' than the feeling of anticipation ;)

BANANASBANANAS
28th Oct 2005, 07:45
Hello chaps.

JB? I have just joined SIA Cargo and was looking at living in JB (my wife is Malaysian) and commuting. We rapidly realised (having agreed house rental in JB) that JB is becoming an expensive place to live and that law/order/general infrastructure is not of the same standard as Singapore. Anyway, we repacked our cardboard boxes and are now living in a condo in Singapore and are very happy.

Money is nice but it isn't everything. Think twice before living in JB and commuting. It can work for some people but personal circumstances, fleet etc etc will affect different people in different ways.

willflyer
30th Oct 2005, 13:36
It's good to see the SQ side of things too!

Basically there's a difference between "bond" and "loan repayment".

When you agree to sign up for a cadet pilot the company will loan you the sum required for your training. This sum will be deducted from your salary for the next 14 or so years. In the event that you leave the company before then, they'll simply ask you to remunerate the balance.

A bond is what you have to sign when you agree to the conversion training (for whatever fleet you're on), because you won't have to pay for the conversion fees. It's generally a 3-year bond, and carries high penalties if you choose to leave the company before then.

I have to agree with CATIIIB though. Career progress (assuming you're from cadet) at MH is optimistic, and additionally you'll be flying the national for your home country. It's a good feeling. Working conditions are, of course, very Malaysian which is to say...relaxed. There's good and bad in it.

Money's a thorny issue everywhere you'll be, but rest assured, you'll make enough to lead a comfortable life wherever you'll be.

sierraquebec777
31st Oct 2005, 13:09
s'pore is a fairly safe and clean place to live and even for kids education, altho if at govt schools the pace and academic learning may be too fast n strict for some. On SQ, one gets to fly wide-bodies the moment one is qualified as the current "smallest " aircraft is the A340 or the very marginally larger B777. And they fly all international routes and if one is apolitical, then things work and run efficiently albeit a little cold.

triplebogey
1st Nov 2005, 12:34
Willflyer,

FYI MAS bonds one for 15 years AND in addition to that you have to repay your cadet training bond over that period.I agree with the differences you have stated but in MAS you get to enjoy BOTH of them at the same time.

Career progression is definately NOT better in MAS and it is because of the people in charge of manpower planning(in this case the lack of it) are incapable of planning anything at all.......

CAT IIIB
8th Nov 2005, 03:51
Dear All,

In short what I have to say is-if you are the type of person who doesn't mind working as a co-pilot for the rest of your life(if there's a promotion,it will be a bonus),just do your work and receive your paycheck(comfortable but not a fat pay) every month,
ignore office politics and enjoy a relaxing cockpit environment(not a stressful one),MAS is the place.

p/s:'Relaxed' cockpit environment in any way does not mean sloppy dicipline,couldn't be careless flying attitude and so on.What it means is that you are happy whenever you go flying,that's all.