PDA

View Full Version : WIFI Hotspot Accounts

FL245
24th Oct 2005, 22:58
Hi everyone

I wish to use hotspots throughout the country, but i seem to find different providers everywhere.

BT on the high street, another provider in Starbucks, another elsewhere etc.

Is there one account I should have that covers all? or must i subscribe to each network?

I will not be a heavy WiFi hotspot user, but will use it once a week or so

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Daysleeper
25th Oct 2005, 04:37
Most will allow you to use a credit card to buy an hour or two rather than a subscription.

Otherwise look out for free wifi networks. SAS Radisson hotels usually have one. There are some in airports ORK, SNN to name two.

Saab Dastard
30th Oct 2005, 18:36
FL245

My company is trialling WIFI hotspot access via BT Openzone, and certainly for the subscription service you can use their affiliates - T-Mobile, The Cloud and Ready-to-Surf. You have to enter www.btopenzone.com into the affiliate authentication page, then login normally.

That lot gives pretty decent coverage in the UK, and there are also many international affiliates (I volunteered to test them all, but couldn't get the company to send me round the world!)

SD

BEagle
30th Oct 2005, 20:26
After once again being cut off part way through a Vodafone D2 WiFi connection at Frankfurt airport, I contacted the alleged customer service people. I was told that they are not bothering to maintain their airport hotspots, as they think that 3G will be the way ahead.

Well that's rubbish. For one thing 3G coverage is appalling, for another it's expensive and for yet another many people who use WiFi probably also use the same system for connecting to their own routers at home.

WiFi connectivity is usually fine - it's the various billing software used by various providers which is so unreliable. T-Online were just as bad the last time I was away.

Incidentally, use a credit card which gives you something back. Don't whatever you do use a LloydsTSB Visa debit card as the thieving gits charge you a fixed supplementary charge abroad on top of their transaction rate. I stopped using them and changed to a MBNA Lufthansa Visa card instead; cheaper than LloydsTSB and they also give you 1 mile per £1 spent - for every transaction. So, fill up the car, park for a couple of days at the airport, pay for hotel and meals, buy some tax free on the way home - and that's already some 200+ miles on your account. Doesn't take that long to tot up enought for a freebie UK-Germany Fly Smart flight....

FL245
8th Nov 2005, 01:45
Thanks guys

FL245