PDA

View Full Version : Fortune telling & Tarot reading

mazzy1026
24th Oct 2005, 19:47
What's people's opinion on this? I have heard a couple of stories from friends who say they have had it done and it has been extremely accurate, however I am a little skeptical. I am not thinking about getting it done, just curious - I think you make your own future but that's just me.

Anyone had it done?

Maz :=

Jerricho
24th Oct 2005, 19:50
I think I insulted a Tarot reader once when I said to her "Well, now you have read my cards, let's do them again. Shouldn't a very similar things come out?". When she told me that wasn't the way it worked :rolleyes: , I kind of aluded to her I was calling bullsh*t..............

mazzy1026
24th Oct 2005, 20:04
Hehe you got a point there :}

Why not go in the next day in disguise...............

Flypuppy
24th Oct 2005, 20:05
Fortune teller told me I would be sucessful and win the lottery. So far wrong on two counts.

Wyler
24th Oct 2005, 20:17
Blackpool, 1988. Birthday bash weekend with some mates.

Decided to have my palm read, as you do. She told me I had already met my next wife, I would get a job that involved travel over water and we would have 2 daughters. She said, if I told anyone this it would not happen.

Had gone out with my current girlfriend for only a few weeks, we married a year later. Shortly after I got a job in the Shetlands, totally out of the blue. This involved a 12 hour Ferry journey. My daughters are 13 and 15.

Never mentioned a word to anybody about the details of my encounter until after the birth of my second daughter.

Coincidence? Lucky guess? Who knows.

:confused:

Darth Nigel
24th Oct 2005, 20:20
I gave up fortune-telling -- just couldn't see any future in it.

More seriously:
One of the things that humans do well is pattern-match. Indeed, humans find oatterns where none exist -- this is how superstitions start.

A natural language (English, French, whatever as opposed to some algebraic notation) is somewhat vague and open to interpretation. So if I say something like "something good will happen to you soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow", there's a myriad things that could happen to tend to make you say, "Hey that Darth he predicted the future."

James Randi (who admittedly has gone a little off the rails later in life) performed an experiment where he individually generated horoscopes for a small classroom of people, based on their birth signs and other stuff. Some large percentage of people reported that the horoscope was accurate, and had several details "spot on". T'was only then revealed that he had given the same horoscope to every person. Each person who found it "good" had matched the common text to their life experience.

As an entertainment, fortunetelling may be worth it. As Penn Gilette said, "How come we've never seen the headline, 'Clairvoyant wins lottery'?"

Of course, if your fortune is being told by an ugly bloke with a gun, and it goes something like "Gi'es yer money or I'll shoot yer" --- that is perhaps more cogent.,

tall and tasty
24th Oct 2005, 23:42
I've had my palm read by a palmist and it was fairly accurate in the fact I would have two children, love someone who was dark and handsome and would have a big winfall (still waiting for the last bit)

but then again it is all what and how you read into what they say as a generalised statement.

The one thing she said was that when I fell in love it would be for a life time. I am still waiting to see if that bit comes true

TnT :p ;)

RiskyRossco
25th Oct 2005, 08:05
Spiritism, witchcraft, necromancy. Not a good idea to open 'doors' that shouldn't be opened. People are rather switched-off to the dangers, and there are dangers.
Because the general mainstream media plays down the occultic origins doesn't make it any more innocuous.
Besides, until I see a high proportion of rich, happy, successful 'astrologers' (and the chances of that are less than a snowball's in Sheol) I'll treat it with the contempt it deserves.

tony draper
25th Oct 2005, 08:20
Remember walking off me ship in Colombo when it was still called Ceylon,small person scuttles up to one siezes ones hand and commenses to babble,
"You live long time, have many sucessfulls father many children"

"**** off"!!
says Drapes his mind set on getting strong drink down his neck urgently "

"English Bastad!speak **** off me!you die soon,ship sink,big rock fall on your head see it in hand"

"Bollix"

:rolleyes:
The natural order of the universe is chaos,entropy will out,it does not lend itself to prediction on the small scale of a single human life.
:cool:

GearDown&Locked
25th Oct 2005, 09:54
Sorry Mr.Draper, but I beg to differ; There is some level of order in that chaos you refer. Time moves in only one direction, its not random. All this makes it possible to predict some things in this universe.

GD&L ;)

tony draper
25th Oct 2005, 10:00
Hmmm, dunno about that,most of the laws of physics would still operate perfectly happily if time moved in either direction, thermodynamics would be a bit of a problem though.
Cause and effect chaps, cause and effect,fortune telling would demand the effect before cause ,ergo tiz a load of sh*te.
:cool:

Taildragger55
25th Oct 2005, 11:09
I knew you were going to say that, Drapes.

tony draper
25th Oct 2005, 11:21
hee hee :ok: :rolleyes:

Double Echo
25th Oct 2005, 11:22
I had my palm read the other day... apparently I'm alright, but you lot are all fecked!!;)

GearDown&Locked
25th Oct 2005, 11:25
cause and effect,fortune telling would demand the effect before cause

Still it's possible to know the effect before cause, if you're inducing a cause by the way you "unveil" some effect, especially if you're revealing effects connected to what the listener wants to hear. In other words, suggestion.

GD&L

:ok:

mazzy1026
25th Oct 2005, 11:31
I suppose the only way you can ever possibly believe in it is when you have had an accurate reading for yourself :rolleyes:

GearDown&Locked
25th Oct 2005, 11:35
I predict I'll be eating Duck a la Orange in about 20 minutes time... Thus spoke Zaratrusta! Bwahahahaha....

GD&L

mazzy1026
25th Oct 2005, 11:43
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Duck.......

VitaminGee
25th Oct 2005, 13:14
In essence I'm at the Draper end of the spectrum on this one. What is interesting, however, is the attitude of religious faiths to the issue. In order to get No 2 child christened we had to agree to an 'interview' by the local vicar; fortunately we had been pre-warned of his attitude to fortune telling et al which was rather right wing! IIRC, his main point was that God is the Almighty and anything that attempted to undermine that position was strictly off limits to Christians; even reading a horoscope in the paper was, in his eyes, "Dipping your toe in the sea of Devil Worship" ! Of course, I'd never looked at a horoscope in my life!!:E
It would be interesting to hear how other faiths regard such practices.

VG

Taildragger55
25th Oct 2005, 13:40
Vitamin, I remember talking to a reasonably sane sounding RC priest about such stuff. (No, he managed to keep his hands off me...I feel so ...rejected)

He said it was not his area, but he understood the church objected to this stuff because the whole area was rife with low level evil creatures and largely a waste of time. (He did not actually suggest they wore Burberry and lots of bling, but that was the gist of it.)

The implication was that Satan had far more important things to do than write horscopes. (Train traffic wardens? Advise Bill Gates?)

CWL2YOW
25th Oct 2005, 14:09
Have a look at the horoscopes in the paper, and what you will read is pretty similar to what Darth Nigel talked about regarding James Randi. They all pretty much say the same thing and will be interpreted according to the eye of the reader.
Who remembers Mystic Meg in the early days of the lottery? "Tonight's lucky winner will be female, has dark hair, lives in England and works with chemicals". So that's about one quarter of the population covered, as long as you are a dark haired woman, working in Boots in England...

ps - an ex-girlfriend of mine had her tarrot cards read and was told that someone close to her would end up being successful and work abroad. So that's both me and a mutual friend of ours who fit the bill...

mazzy1026
25th Oct 2005, 17:23
Who remembers Mystic Meg in the early days of the lottery? "Tonight's lucky winner will be female, has dark hair, lives in England and works with chemicals". So that's about one quarter of the population covered, as long as you are a dark haired woman, working in Boots in England...
That's always been my opinion, but I do tend to sway when people tell me their true stories!

Ozzy
25th Oct 2005, 17:46
Fortune teller told me I would be sucessful and win the lottery. You didn't ask her for the numbers?:confused:

Ozzy