PDA

View Full Version : Im sure you didnt come to work barefoot, so leave my shoes alone

I.R.PIRATE
24th Oct 2005, 19:12
"Airport thieves want your shoes"
Taken from the Sunday Times 23 October 2005
"Shoes, laptop computers and jewellery are what thieves at Johannesburg International Airport like most to seal out of passengers' baggage." Apparently South African Airways has paid out a whopping R15-million to passengers for theft from baggage over the past year. According to Bert Meintjies, SAA's head of security, the problem is worst at Johannesburg International Airport and effects domestic flights more than international flights. The airline has installed closed circuit cameras and employed baggage marshals in an attempt to combat the problem.

This problem should be simple to solve and we do not understand why ACSA has not introduced stricter staff selection and monitoring methods. Once a thief has been caught on camera or by a baggage marshal, why not make an example of that person by firing them on the spot. South African authorities have become soft on crime, where criminals appear to have more rights than law abiding citizens. Employers are afraid of being taken before the CCMA by dishonest staff, but where the particular person has been caught red-handed on camera, the matter is clear cut. Why is a clause that protects passenger's property not written into the baggage handlers' contracts? When will South African airports install automated, bar code or transponder readers that will automate baggage handling? Why do we have to employ people who are blatant thieves simply to provide jobs in this country? I am sure that many of the answers lie with government policy that is contrary to good business practice.