PDA

View Full Version : Bud Light Bumped for Low Cost Carrier Spoof?

Airbubba
24th Oct 2005, 18:04
Discount Air Carrier
May Bump Bud Light
Over Air-Safety Joke

By SCOTT MCCARTNEY

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
October 24, 2005; Page B1

AirTran Airways says it may stop serving Anheuser-Busch Cos. products on its flights to protest a radio ad for Bud Light that ridicules discount airlines and their pilots.

The ad, part of the "Real Men of Genius" campaign created by DDB Chicago, is a comic tribute to discount-airline pilots, commending them for their "minimal experience" and for putting "the fly in fly-by-night." It also questions the safety of low-fare carriers: "Sure we're concerned for our lives," the announcer says -- "just not as concerned as saving nine bucks on a round-trip to Fort Myers."

Anheuser-Busch says it pulled the ad after one airing in January, but it has remained posted on an ad-industry Web site and recently made the rounds online among some pilot groups and airlines. It also has continued playing on Anheuser-Busch's phone system: When AirTran Airways Director of Marketing Tad Hutcheson called to complain Wednesday, he listened to the offending ad while on hold.

AirTran Chairman and Chief Executive Joe Leonard sent a letter to Anheuser-Busch CEO Patrick Stokes on Thursday demanding an apology. "You may deem the commercial to be satirical, but I find it highly offensive," Mr. Leonard wrote. Mr. Hutcheson said the airline is considering dropping Budweiser from its flights.

Other airlines said they, too, were outraged. "Totally tasteless," said Southwest Airlines spokesman Ed Stewart. "To joke about safety is awful. It's out of bounds."

Anheuser-Busch, in a statement, offered an apology. "This campaign was meant to poke fun at slices of everyday life, but this execution clearly crossed the line and is in poor taste," said Michael J. Owens, vice president of sales and marketing.

AirTran, which is the former ValuJet Airlines, and other discount flyers have long fought perceptions that low-price fares mean less safety. Previous generations of discount carriers flew aging planes, offered bare-bones service and suffered a lack of confidence after ValuJet Flight 592 caught fire and crashed in the Florida Everglades in 1996, killing 110 on board. But discounters today opt for new airplanes and many provide upscale amenities.

The current generation of discount carriers has had a strong safety record: Southwest has flown for more than 30 years without a fatality. And discounters today can hire experienced pilots from the U.S. military and legacy carriers that have furloughed hundreds of pilots.

Bud Light's "Real Men of Genius" campaign won the Grand Prix for Radio at the International Advertising Festival in Cannes, France, in June. The prize recognized 11 spots, including the 60-second "Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy."

Most of the ad campaign's targets aren't corporate. Ads pay homage to "Mr. Basketball Court Sweat Wiper Upper," "Mr. Bathroom Stall Dirty Joke Writer," and "Mr. Hot Stock Tip Giver Outer." Last year, a TV spot in the series, "Mr. Really Bad Toupee Wearer," drew complaints from the American Hair Loss Council. Anheuser-Busch refused to pull it.

While airline rivals fumed, discounter JetBlue Airways did find some humor in the ad: It said the spot couldn't be aimed at its nonstop flights: "We think there is a difference between flying in the middle of the night and 'fly by night,' " spokesman Todd Burke said.

Here is the ad:

http://mfile.akamai.com/15086/wma/media.marketwatch.com/wsj/audio/20051021/bud-realhero/bud-realhero.asx

Loose rivets
24th Oct 2005, 18:20
Its bewildering to me that this childish jingle would be taken seriously...even by the people who drink this gnat's pi$$.

flying scotsman
24th Oct 2005, 19:10
hahahahahahahahaha. i love it. sending it straight away to our PR dept.

Jerricho
24th Oct 2005, 19:57
Was an interesting discussion on Jet Blast about the campaign found here............. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195023)

;)

Farrell
24th Oct 2005, 20:38
Maybe Mr. Airport Baggage Handler and his 'unprofessional' buddies will boycott Bud products as well, eh SC?!

jollyikarus
24th Oct 2005, 22:05
Americans never had a proper beer culture and 'Bud' is [email protected] - just as its advertising. Tasteless beer - untasty advertising, not even good for flushing the lavs!

Cheers! :-)
(but only with a glass of the original european brew! :-)

Nomorecrap
25th Oct 2005, 01:05
My main objection: It's not even funny.

Never did get that US sense of humo(u)r though.

(Or their Foreign policy for that matter).

Perhaps it jus comes down to that awful beer they have to drink - yech!

Gillegan
25th Oct 2005, 04:38
There is good American beer. It's just not any of that stuff that comes from the big breweries.

DA50driver
25th Oct 2005, 06:04
I always liked the bud light commercials, I find them funny. Just because they hit our profession doesn't mean they are offensive. Have a sense of humor.

I am a European who resides in the US. I get to enjoy the best of both places, just because they are different does't mean one is better than the other.

Just for the record, I have had a lot of crappy beer in Europe, as well as the US. Bud Light is in my opinion crap, however there is nothing better than an ice cold Miller Lite on a hot summer day. (Ice cold as in ice, which is pretty hard to find here in Europe. Buy a soda and you get maybe two cubes.) I could make fun of that.

Lighten up on the US guys, it is getting a little old to slam them any chance you have. It is starting to look like little kids bitching.

Dream Land
25th Oct 2005, 07:39
To Falcon Driver: Well said!

:ok: :ok:

D.L.

EI-CFC
25th Oct 2005, 08:15
My main objection: It's not even funny.

Agreed. However, I think JetBlue have taken the right response to this - shrug it off and have a laugh.

fmgc
25th Oct 2005, 09:39
What is a "Lite" beer anyway?

Doesn't sound like anything that I would want to drink!!!!

DA50driver
25th Oct 2005, 09:56
Lite beer is low calorie beer, approximately 95 or so calories per 12 ounces. It is what keeps my beer belly smaller than yours.

fmgc
25th Oct 2005, 10:13
Yuk

:yuk:

Low calorie = low taste

:yuk:

Paranoid Parrot
25th Oct 2005, 10:14
I thought adverts were supposed to attract you to a product. This advert is not funny, it' just stupid. It's just the boring type of advert that makes people change channel or go out to make a cup of coffee. It is a waste of advertising time and money. :hmm:

fmgc
25th Oct 2005, 10:15
Paranoid Parrot

Bet you are paranoid at the moment with all this avian flu!

JW411
25th Oct 2005, 10:48
Please don't take the p*ss out of Bud Lite - it's the only flavour it's got!

Maude Charlee
25th Oct 2005, 11:07
Ha ha ha! Guilty as charged. :D

"I can't feel my legs". Very good. :}

jetjockey737
25th Oct 2005, 12:53
Oh for gods sake, some of you lot need to lighten up.

"I cant feel my legs".......GENIUS!!!!

DA50driver
25th Oct 2005, 15:25
Just to lighten things up a little, back in 1987 or 91, the Minnesota Twins played the St. Louis Cardinals in the baseball playoffs. During the game (played in Minneapolis) they showed a guy holding up a sign that said "Our beer today, your drinking water tomorrow". The Mississippi runs through Minneapolis down through St. Louis. (Anheuser-Bush is based in St. Louis.) Maybe that is where Bud Light gets its taste from?

rotornut
25th Oct 2005, 17:24
How about... Real Men of Genius

To-day we salute YOU, Mr. President of the United States Guy!

DA50driver
25th Oct 2005, 18:42
Bashing Bush again huh? Real original.
It is getting a little old. We all know you don't like him. Let it rest.

fmgc
25th Oct 2005, 18:53
One might say that he should let it rest!!

DA50driver
25th Oct 2005, 21:02
I suppose you would do the job a lot better. It is really getting old. You guys don't like him, we are aware of it. I am from Norway, i just live in and really like the US by the way

In a few years you can bitch about President Clinton again, except this time the female version.

YYZ
26th Oct 2005, 15:28
Bit tetchy arenít we DA50driver?

I thought the Americans were all for freedom of speech!

YYZ

Jerricho
26th Oct 2005, 15:49
Nah, this is no where near as funny as the other discussion (or adult) :E

Flypuppy
26th Oct 2005, 15:59
Yes, we much prefered the other thread...

:E

WeatherJinx
26th Oct 2005, 17:52
Danny'll be here shortly and then you'll all be for it.. :p

philip2004uk
26th Oct 2005, 18:12
(Ice cold as in ice, which is pretty hard to find here in Europe. Buy a soda and you get maybe two cubes.) I could make fun of that.

AHHHH But That's my point i hate having soda in america when they put tonnes of icecubes in because you pay for a drink of soda not a bucket of ice cubes. i prefer no ice cubes.
Although i must say america is cheap on drinks.

5by5
26th Oct 2005, 18:40
America ..... as in 'Land of the brave and home of the free'.... err, yeah, right ?! :mad: :( :} :E

Funny advert though ! :ok:

DA50driver
27th Oct 2005, 07:12
Yes I am a little sensitive about all you guys riding the US's arse. (It is my adopted home, I choose to live there). Unfortunately your hardworking journalists over here never venture outside NY or DC, and get most of their leads from Michael Moore. Mainstreet America is full of people just like you. We go watch our kids play soccer on Saturday morning, just like I saw parents in Zagreb do, just like they did in Paphos.

Now, on the ice issue. In the US you get a bucket size cup of ice and soda. When the soda is gone, you get a free refill of soda., When that is gone you get another refill for free. So it does not matter that there is a bunch of ice in your glass. Now, when I am here and get a glass that contains about two sips I do not want half of that to be ice.

Anyway, I wish we could all sit around the campfire together and sing songs and drink pissy bud light all night. Life is to damn short to worry about the little stuff. I'm more worried about where I can go in Moscow for a good meal and a few beers without breaking the bank. Anyone?

Anyone know how I change the FROM thing at the end of my post?

USA is not representative any more, it should say Marriott.

ETOPS
27th Oct 2005, 08:44
DA50driver

Anyone know how I change the FROM thing at the end of my post?

Go to the top of the page and click on "user cp" it's just under the "w" in the word Network.

This opens the admin page - click on "Edit profile" then look about three lines down to "Location" that's where to change USA to Marriott.

DA50driver
27th Oct 2005, 12:25
thank you ETOPS.

Blacksheep
28th Oct 2005, 07:16
Lite beer is low calorie beer, approximately 95 or so calories per 12 ounces. It is what keeps my beer belly smaller than yours.Ha, yes; but my 4 cans of 180 kCal Carlsburg or Tiger has the same bite as 12 cans of your 94 kCal Gnat's Piss Lite.

So, 720 kCals to 1128 kCals is why your beer gut is bigger than my 'six-pack'. ;)

...and in any case, Heineken refreshes the parts that Lite beers can't reach.