PDA

View Full Version : Human Rights Legisation?

tony draper
24th Oct 2005, 18:52
Just been a item on the local news re the violence that flared up betwixt the loons after the Newcastle Sunderland derby match yerterday.
The commentator stated that because of new Human Rights Legislation the Police are no longer alowed to hold visiting supporters within the grounds until the home supporters have cleared the area,which was the normal ploy when violence was threatened between so called footy fans.
Is there no end to this touchy feely feckin insanityand huggy fluffery being inflicted upon us from those above and even worse those outside this bloody country?

:suspect:

Caslance
24th Oct 2005, 18:56
The commentator was talking sh*te, Mr D.

Holding the away fans at more - ahem - "volatile" football matches in the ground until the majority of the home fans are safely on their way to their whist drives and cucumber sandwiches has been standard practice for decades.

Fancy you, of all people, believing what you hear on the local news........ :ooh:

tony draper
24th Oct 2005, 19:04
That was the statement clearly given Mr C, no doubt about it, because of human rights legislation they can no longer confine away fans within the stadium after a match, it is difficult to believe even local news would emphasis this unless it was true and the trouble is that is exactly the kind of lunatic legiislation we have come to expect.
One shall however make enquiries,
:cool:

Caslance
24th Oct 2005, 19:08
The world has clearly gone mad if it proves to be the case, Mr D. :rolleyes:

African Tech Rep
24th Oct 2005, 19:16
It’s possible – stupid – but possible

Keeping the fans locked in the stadium could be construed as “detaining them against their will” and allowing one set of fans out before the others could lead to accusation of “favouritism” or as it’ll be called “fanisum” and you’ll be able to be accused of being a “fanist”.

tony draper
24th Oct 2005, 19:27
Righty, one has asked someone in a position to know these things,he states as with all convulted legislation it is a matter of interpretation, Senior police officers at Newcastle may well have decided that yesterday that they could be in deep pooh if they had held those fans back most of whom would have been perfectly law abiding citizens.
Madness I tells yer madness
Time we returned to the old philosophy the needs of the minority must give way to the needs of the majority,the majority in this case being the normal non footy watching citizens in Newcasle going about their lawfull business,and not a minority of footy fans no matter how law abiding.

African Tech Rep
24th Oct 2005, 19:52
If they printed in the conditions on the ticket something like “you may not be allowed to leave the stadium for 30mins after the game has ended” surely they [the police etc] would be covered.
Lawyers involvement in the wording of the clause would mean tickets will need to be on A3 paper with a font size of 10 – but I’m sure you get the general idea.

tony draper
24th Oct 2005, 23:11
It could be argued that the Human Rights of the civilians, businesses, shops ect in the locality are being violated by releasing a bunch of loon footy fans intent on violence and destruction into their midst.

G-CPTN
25th Oct 2005, 00:24
I think the Mackams should be released FIRST (by a few minutes) then the Toon Hooligans could be released to chase them back to Wearside. As it was, the Lads had to make their own entertainment in the Bigg Market, as the Sunderland Fans refused to stay and fight. Just because they lost . . .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4370530.stm
http://tinyurl.com/b6jfe

bjcc
25th Oct 2005, 01:42
I think the words of the Human Rights Act are something along the lines of

'No person shall be detained ahainst their will, except by means of their lawful arrest'

That may not be the exact words, but thats the jist (FL about to jump on me!!!!!)

However, I would suggest that IF the officer in charge believes, and can show that belief to be genuine and real, that there would be violance, then he could detain whichever side in oder to prevent a breach of the peace. Once the need to do so has passed, he would then release them.

That of course will wind up one side or the other, so perhaps not the brightest of moves, unless the officer in charge has a very big gang. If not it's going to go wrong anyway!

Releated to this there was a demo in london a few years ago where police did exactly that. The human rights lobby took them to court, but I don't recall who won, although I think it was the old bill.

Curious Pax
25th Oct 2005, 08:17
As Cas says this has been standard practice for years, and certainly was still in use occasionally at Old Trafford last season (not been to a league game this season due to relocating :{ )

Does raise a wider issue though (if true) - police forces all seem to put their own interpretation on a number of such laws, which must potentially cost them a fortune in time and money if they are acting unnecessarily. You would have thought that some higher body (ACPO or Home Office) would be giving out advice in order to standardize such things across the country - probably wishful thinking, but what the heck!