PDA

View Full Version : Examiner Authorisations

jimenybillybob
24th Oct 2005, 08:32
Sorry, a bit of a long winded question here, but might as well get it all done in one go.

What is the quickest, easiest, cheapest way to end up with- JAR FI (Single and Multi) JAR FE (Single, Multi and IMC) and RT examiner.

I currently have FAA Multi CPL/IR CFI/II/MEI and JAR Multi CPL/IMC with 1300 hours total 900 hours instruction given.

Please note, I do know you need to be put forward and accepted for the examiner authorisations and you need to be an unrestricted FI, which I will be straight after getting the FI ticket (already done the 25 solo sign offs etc)

Don't mind doing some of it in the States if it's possible.

Cheers

Jimenybillybob

Whopity
28th Oct 2005, 12:48
What price is patience? As well as being qualified, there has to be a requirement before they appoint new examiners; at the moment I believe they have more than they need!

jimenybillybob
28th Oct 2005, 14:20
Please note, I do know you need to be put forward and accepted for the examiner authorisations

Whopity
28th Oct 2005, 14:44
Then you should be aware there is no quick or easy way and as the costs are fairly fixed, there is no cheap way either.

You do not have to be put forward for a FE authority, that ceased in 1999! When it changed from sponsorship to the Authority appointing examiners on a regional basis. The RT Examiner still has to be sponsored by an organisation.

GusHoneybun
28th Oct 2005, 14:54
Cheap it ain't going to be

Flight Instructors Rating £6000
Applied Instruments £1500
Multi Engine Class Instructor £2000

To teach the Multi, you must have 35 hours as PIC on the applicable class or type before you start the course.

For the examiners rating. Apart from the fact you have to be authorised. There is also an hours requirement to be accepted for an examiners authourisation. This is 1000 hours TT, plus 200 hours as an instructor. Now, I can't see the CAA accepting non JAR Instructional time, so perhaps you should build up some experience under the JAR system before trying for the examiners authorisation.
Anyway, costs for the FE.

Examiners Course (inc IMC) £1000
Extra Day for muti engine £500

Add on all the lovely CAA fees as well and you won't get much change out of 12000 grand.

In your case, do all the Instructors ratings and get yourself a job with a large modular school or integrated school. Get some experience of the JAR system, and see a number of students through from start to finish. Then and only then should you consider applying. Walk before you can run and all that.