PDA

View Full Version : World Geographic Website

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 07:40
A great piece of software that will make any pilot's day (http://earth.google.com/)

Enjoy it guys - I love it .. been keeping me busy for a while, while waiting for a flight ....

.......watching the Pearston Airport and can just imagine where the Air France aircraft over ran.

Just a warning : Do not even try it without ADSL / Broadband and a P4 with lots of ram.

Enjoy ! :ok:

If the mod's feel it is not worthwhile to Aviators in Africa - delete please.

George Tower
3rd Aug 2005, 09:09
I should add another warning. Do not attempt to use if you have work to do:E

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 09:48
:p :p :p What's amazing is that you can actually take a screen shot of (for example) a runway and e-mail it to someone.

I have tried it .. obviously the receipient must have the software downloaded and it works out at about a 500 to 650 kb file attachment :ok:

3rd Aug 2005, 10:11
I stumbled on it about a month ago and have had endless fun. Played around looking at stuff all over the place. Only prob is that it seems to be old data. At least more than 2-3 years old!

4granted
4th Aug 2005, 20:00
They dont suport Apple Mac!!

What my G4 not good enough??

ag Shame!!!
4g

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 07:59
As always the Google oke's have a great support system.

4 Granted to answer your question :

At this time, Google Earth supports Windows only; however, we hope to support Mac and Linux OS soon. In the meantime, although it might be slower, some Mac users have had success running Google Earth with a PC emulator. So try it mate.

126,7 your question re old data :

Google Earth acquires the best imagery available, most of which is approximately one to two years old.

We recently launched our new Primary Database which includes:
- 15m imagery for the entire globe (EDIT : I think it is the non Green area's which is VERY good !)
- 90m terrain elevation mode data
- Updates to many US cities (:E of course) :E
- Major international expansion including, but not limited to, all major Canadian and Australian cities, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Rome, Naples, London, Luxembourg, Paris, Toulouse, Valencia, Barcelona, Lisbon, and Athens. (Africa .. who cares ...) :ouch:

Seaman Staines
12th Aug 2005, 10:29
Great prog but lousy res over all of Cambodia and Thailand but you can spot Angkor Wat and most of BKK, even Soi Cowboy. :}

Take a look at Phuket, the Eastern side is great, the west..... errm, is crap. :8

REAL ORCA
24th Oct 2005, 17:45
Pity the photo's are about 3 years old!:{ There is a couple of socks in the wash that I don't recognise! Thought I will catch the culprit by satellite!:ok:

B Sousa
24th Oct 2005, 18:04
I have been playing with it and its obvious that most of the photos are a bit dated. Its not live as Im sure some folks have.....
Appears this used to be called Keyhole and was recently purchased by Google. I can only assume google wll update it based on its appeal.
Also found that close shots are only in the dense population areas. Im guessing for Real Estate sale etc...
Just another toy...........

V1 Rotate
25th Oct 2005, 18:38
Brilliant programme.............I use it to find remote trails and abandoned gold mines in the Sierra Nevada Mountains!
V1:ok:

windycorner
27th Oct 2005, 21:29
I had a quick search around - came across some big birds.....like the one at 51 28 32 10N/0 14 21 35W (finals into heathrow)

If any of you have have any interesting ones i'd appreciate the co-ords

Cool link - thanks B S

MysticFlyer
27th Oct 2005, 22:43
Atlanta, GA

Spoories on apron.......
Boeing, Seattle.....new model on finals....etc.

Cheetah......FALT?:E

Deanw
2nd Nov 2005, 06:20
Also, place a tick in the 'Terrain' box, it gives a great perspective of the surrounding terrain and mountains.

With a low tilt angle, you can fly through the mountains!

Using the 'Tools - Measure' option will provide great quick 'n easy distance measuring info in a variety of units, including km, miles and nautical miles.

napoleon
2nd Nov 2005, 12:37
Any one got a good look at Ndjamena airport using this?

crause
2nd Nov 2005, 12:47
:ok: Yes there is also a L1011 or 737 In mid air on finals for the cross Runway shortly before the Main runway at Honolulu Hawai..... :8 :8

The Aircraft on finals for RW4 at Honolulu seems to be from North West Airlines the co ordinates are N21,18,29\'44 and W157,56,17\'12:ok:

The SSK
2nd Nov 2005, 13:31
They have been upgrading it in bits and pieces. There was a hi-res area over London and another one to the west, around Maidenhead. Now they have inserted another one in between, covering (most of) Heathrow. Where the Heathrow and Maidenhead sectors overlap they don't quite join up, and there's one particular installation - the Dorney rowing course - which was under construction in the older image but complete in the newer one and the difference is very evident. (Looks like a 2000m runway, in a loop of the Thames).

The area where I live, on the other side of the Channel, was recently upgraded from lo-res to hi-res. You can tell these areas, they are shaded brown or grey.

You can always go searching for Concordes - I've counted three (not counting the half-size LHR gate guardian).

Deanw
2nd Nov 2005, 13:40
napoleon wrote:
Any one got a good look at Ndjamena airport using this?

Just very low-res for this region:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/p51mustang/Miscl/Ndjamena.jpg

reptile
3rd Nov 2005, 09:46
A/C on final approach at Gibraltar - looks like 73

Deanw
3rd Nov 2005, 13:26
For a list of aircraft in flight:
http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlcat24/Aircraft-in-flight.htm

For a list of aircraft on the ground:
http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlcat30/Aircraft-on-the-ground.htm

B Sousa
18th Nov 2005, 23:10
Another thing I was just shown. It works in the States, not sure of other countries. You can make a route along the highways. Once its established you can actually fly along the route and see what it looks like.
Simply amazing.

Gunship
30th Nov 2005, 18:48
Always check for an update.

Go to HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES ONLINE

You should have Version 3.0.0762

Build date : 17 Nov 05

Cheers

Gunss

B Sousa
30th Nov 2005, 22:54
Where would we be without you Guns...........On to the Bombay and Tonic........

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 16:53
Always a pleasure mate.

PS: Has anybody upgraded to Google Earth Plus yet ?

If so ... anybody have a spare username and licence key perhaps ? :E

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 17:35
I have just upgraded .. $20.00 printed and it works GREAT ! :ok:

The Jet Blast thread is HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16) meneer. :E

Djou mak mour......my ma sê GLAD nie!