PDA

View Full Version : How's the 747F upper deck configuration?

hamil
23rd Oct 2005, 16:50
Hi folks, just a curiosity...
How is the 747 upper deck configuration on cargo airplanes? Does it have a private area with crew seats, bunkers and a galley or its space is reduced and just a small part is used by the crew?
Thanks

Intruder
24th Oct 2005, 03:03
Depends on the specific airplane.

The Classic conversions have [most of] the full upper deck available with several rows of seats (usually on one side only) and a bunk area aft. The -400Fs have a truncated upper deck that is much smaller (1 row of seats plus bunk compartment.

All have a lav, but the galley areas vary with the airplane.

Phil Squares
24th Oct 2005, 03:16
Are you asking about new builds or conversion?

If it's new builds, the 744F it really depends on the customer. The standard configuration is 2 rows of business class seats on the right side of the aircraft and one row of seats on the left, total seats 6. Aft of that there is a crew rest area with two bunks horizontally mounted.

There is also the standard a/c lav and galley with a chiller, oven and a multitude of cabinets for storage and food containers.

MADCAP
24th Oct 2005, 08:30
as you can see there will many different configs depending on the original customers requirements (and money spent)
partially in the case in the case of classic conversions
ps.have never seen 6 seats on a 400f (only ever 4) with 2 bunks

let hope the 400 pax conversions have a shower and gym:ok:

Grunf
24th Oct 2005, 17:59
400BCF (new designation) has no shower, no gym ;-), but deffinitely 16 seats...maybe 19...in a tight space...

CargoMatatu
24th Oct 2005, 18:44
MADCAP

ALL the Atlas Air -400Fs have 6 seats on the upper deck. Four Business Class types on the right side and two on the left.

Matatu Man:cool:

hamil
25th Oct 2005, 01:06
Thank you very much for your replies... Does anybody have any idea how SIA Cargo configuration is?

Phil Squares
25th Oct 2005, 03:11
Thank you very much for your replies... Does anybody have any idea how SIA Cargo configuration is?

Please see my previous reply....

CargoMatatu
25th Oct 2005, 06:18
Just to correct my earlier reply, all the Atlas birds had four - two on the right and two on the left. I was confusing myself with the Cargolux birds which had six.

Must start playing less golf and get myself back out to the airport!

Buster Hyman
25th Oct 2005, 06:51
Have they retrofitted the CV 744F's with Spa's yet?

GOH
26th Oct 2005, 08:33
Just read a certain trip report on Airliners.net ay Phil :ok: , which prompted me to look around on the ol PPRuNe to find out more about cargo operations and hay presto! haha. Great report by the way mate.

But after reading the above posts I have a question. Do cargo pilots bring their own food or does the airline provide the meals which you cook in the galley?

Thanks

GOH

Phil Squares
26th Oct 2005, 08:53
We're catered just like the pax flights. J class meals for everyone and you get quite proficient at operating the oven....

babygod
26th Oct 2005, 14:17
any other facilities other than seats and bunk and oven?

BlueEagle
27th Oct 2005, 00:05
Yes, a toilet!

Not to mention, in SIA, newspapers! There is no IFE, if that is what you are thinking.

babygod
27th Oct 2005, 03:43
how many sets of pilots they have for every cargo trip?

Buster Hyman
27th Oct 2005, 07:07
Do they come in sets?:confused:

skiesfull
27th Oct 2005, 12:50
shouldn't it be a "wealth of pilots"? or is that too controversial? or wishful thinking?

MADCAP
28th Oct 2005, 09:43
they come in packs of 2 for the 400f or multiples of

acmi48
28th Oct 2005, 12:05
config 400f

no matter how plush yu make the upper deck its still very noisy
and business class seats are r*bbish to try and sleep in

point to make is the entrance is by left hand side not thru the middle of the deck and the crew rest area of bunks made poss by the absence of the fe station and pushing it all forward

access to upper deck side (escape) door on the right hand side is limited as well ..less storage space in the cabin as well in my opinion..

6 seats the limit and best place(if you dont have 'bunk access rights') to travel in the left hand side row behind upper deck door access

flite idol
28th Oct 2005, 22:11
"Aft of that there is a crew rest area with two bunks horizontally mounted. "

Unlike the space shuttle where they are vertically mounted.

GlueBall
29th Oct 2005, 06:24
Have been on an upper deck converted 742 freighter that had two (2) working lavs. :eek:

Flyrr100
29th Oct 2005, 11:59
If you order yout 400F new, you have the option of a Starbucks in the hump.

GlueBall
29th Oct 2005, 12:55
...and gyro stabilized beds. :cool:

gti5ypfe
5th Nov 2005, 22:14
CargoMatatu is wrong. there are only 4 seats on the aft upper deck of Atlas Air -400F's. There are 2 bunks as well. We are limited on ALL freighters to 8 persons on board because thaere are only 8 eacape reels.

CargoMatatu
6th Nov 2005, 07:16
gti5ypfe

Read my follow-up post which was written AFTER a had my coffee!

May the Matatu be with you!

Matatu Man:cool:

MetAl
6th Nov 2005, 07:29
Hee hee,

This is fun, what is standard?

I've flown 75+ different 747 airframes as freighters, and really, no two are the same.

Best visually were the old PanAm birds with the Juan Trippe artwork on the back wall.

Worst were the converted U-boats.

Best over all were the -400s built for the job.

And even line number 3, still flying at Evergreen, was a joy to fly. Didn't matter that it had done the hard landing test flight series.

Self Loading Freight
9th Nov 2005, 21:44
And talking of Trippe and the 747...

"By pure chance, it was Trippe himself who gave the jumbo its signature bulge. In a rare lapse of vision, Trippe thought the 747 would be superseded by a big supersonic jet, as cheap to run as a subsonic jet. Some hope.

He therefore decreed that on the 747, pilots should sit above the flight deck so the nose could be opened up and take cargo. The 747's ultimate fate, he thought, would be as a flying Mack truck. Boeing showed him a wooden mock-up of the 747's flight deck, in the hump above the nose. He foraged around and came upon the space behind the flight deck, the rest of the hump. "What is this for?" he asked. "A crew rest area," said a Boeing engineer. "Rest area?" barked Trippe. "This is going to be reserved for passengers." "

http://www.time.com/time/time100/builder/profile/trippe.html

(check the byline- though it probably wasn't really)

R

Buster Hyman
10th Nov 2005, 05:52
Well, there you go. I think it was QF that pushed for the extra windows in the UD that came out on the 742.