PDA

View Full Version : Prescription meds - in carry on or checked bags?

brockenspectre
22nd Oct 2005, 17:39
Am heading off to the USA tomorrow, Wilma permitting, and for the first time in my life I am currently on prescription medication (hopefully only temporarily of course!). Is it OK with US authorities for me to have the pills I need for my vacation in my suitcase (which will be checked) and just have what I need for tomorrow in my carry-on? Thanks in advance for replies :ok:

edited to add "with US authorities" otherwise my question seemed somewhat lame :E :E

bealine
22nd Oct 2005, 18:07
Yes - with one proviso! Carry sufficient medication in your carry on baggage to allow for a delay - just in case! (In other words, at least an extra 24 hours supply).

Enjoy your trip - Hope you're better soon!

Bre901
22nd Oct 2005, 20:19
Don't forget to have the prescriptions with you (you're lucky you don't have to have them translated).

seacue
22nd Oct 2005, 23:55
I don't think I would trust anything really important to checked luggage.

Cart_tart
23rd Oct 2005, 02:21
Always carry your medications in your carry-on luggage.
Bags do disappear for weeks on end sometimes - rare but it happens.
Also what happens if you have a condition such as angina and you need the medication during flight?
I've had cases on board where a pax has been suffering from asthma during flight and when I ask them where their inhaler is "it's in my checked luggage" is the reply. I then have had to make a PA asking if anyone on board has the appropriate inhaler. I've been lucky that people have had some, but what if they hadn't. The pax would've had a full blown asthma attack and there would've been nothing we could've done about it.
So yeah - carry your medication in your cabin baggage!

Xenia
23rd Oct 2005, 12:18
I agree with Cart_tart 100% ... Carry all your medications (always) in your carry-on luggage.

Happy Landings

OFBSLF
25th Oct 2005, 15:54
ALWAYS put your meds in a carry-on bag. Checked bags do get lost and replacing a prescription in a foreign country is a headache you don't want.