PDA

View Full Version : Seeking genuine advice from QF pilots, please.

its_my_passion
22nd Oct 2005, 15:57
Hi,

I'd like to share with you, my story below.

I am unsure as to whether anyone will offer me any sensible advice, but I will write anyway, because I don't know many airline pilots.

I'm a 22 year old in Australia, who has been slaving their guts out for the past three years to finish a business degree. Its been really hard work; not only from the academic side of things, but also from never having any money, going into considerable amounts of debt in order to pay for rent, living expenses, course fees and textbooks. It all adds up. I've worked my ass off to get a credit average.

The thing is, is that I have always had an absolute passion for flying. I got my PPL when I was 17 and was truly hoping for an eventual career as an airline pilot. The problem is, is that my last two years of high school were an absolute disaster for me. My mum died whilst I was in year 11; and subsequently I wasn't able to concentrate much on my studies and thus got a shocking year 12 mark. I failed maths, and had to drop physics. I got a UAI of 50. Consequently, no metro uni in sydney would take me, and in order to pursue my university education I chose to move to a remote area 12 hours away from my home where they offered to give me a place in their business degree course. I've finally made it through it successfully, and have been offered a 50K job to start in January.

But, I regularly read the information on the QF DE and Cadet pilot schemes. If there was one thing I could ever wish for in the world, it would be to be working in commercial aviation. It is my absolute passion.

I am literally exhausted after putting so much effort into getting my uni degree over the past three years. But I truly long to fly as a career.

The question I ask is this:

I am truly considering going to TAFE part-time in order to get HSC maths and physics, so that I would become eligible to apply for the QF cadet scheme and ADF avenues of pilot training.

To those of you that have "made it", I would be highly appreciative of your advice. I am not sure whether it is worthwhile spending 2 or so years slogging my arse off at TAFE getting the required subjects of maths and physics in-order to simply become eligible to even apply for the QF cadet scheme. I'd have to additionally spend time tuning-up my aptitude skills for stage 2, and this would probably mean spending a lot of time doing ARCO books and probably PATS.

Is a career as an airline pilot really "an extremely rewarding one in terms of job satisfaction and self esteem?"

As a young guy trying to make the best way through this life, whilst not wanting to disregard my career dreams, - what do ya reckon I should do.

if you could please reply, either here or privately, i'd be extremely grateful.

Many thanks guys.

Chief Wiggam
23rd Oct 2005, 03:24
its_my_passion, I’ll put my 2 cents worth in, however I am not a Qantas pilot.

Your story so far suggests to me that you are now more prepared for the harder slog ahead. Have a really good go at the cadetship but also be mindful that the Qantas recruiting process is very fickle indeed.

Consider if you would be prepared to continue on with a flying career in General Aviation? never having any money, going into considerable amounts of debt in order to pay for rent, living expenses Most airline pilots who have come up through the GA ranks have had to endure years struggling financially as well as poor living and work conditions. Unfortunately you become used to the airline pilot pay rise very quickly – and the pay is not as good as it used to be. It’s only going to get worse as well.

I think you’ll find any career is rewarding with hard work done. Job satisfaction and self esteem is an ongoing thing. Landing an airline job just gives you a new set of hoops to jump through and a new bunch of people to befriend or deal with. It is what you learn through overcoming life’s hurdles that build up your self esteem, shape your character.

Don’t go through life with regrets. I suggest you take the job, have a breather and pay off your debts. Don’t waste your time with tafe. There are QF approved courses that cover maths and physics in a few very intense of weeks.

At 22 you have your whole life ahead of you and the time to re-invent yourself many times over. Take the necessary steps to make your dream a reality. I’m constantly falling down and picking myself up. Just don’t become one of those who stays down and you’ll do fine.

Good luck.

Chief Wiggam :ok:

kellykelpie
23rd Oct 2005, 05:52
Hi. I don't think you will get a lot of sympathy for working your ass of doing a uni degree. Many pilots have gone through a lot more for a lot longer. If it is your passion to work for an airline why are you asking others if it is what you should pursue.
The point I am trying to make is nothing comes without
A LOT of hard work and effort (especially aviation). There aren't many professions that require as much study as airline flying. If you are exhausted from a few years at Uni give airlines a miss. The road is long and you haven't even rounded the first bend. You will have a Check every three months (in QF), Emergency Procedures every 6 months, Sim training, Line training, CRM, ETOPs, Fuel Courses etc, etc. You will never stop studying.

Hi again. I forgot to mention I have a mate who has gone through all this and he has 5 kids. He did maths and physics whilst working full time, then instrument rating, ATPLs and has gone bush to get the required hours to be eligible. He is living with his 5 kids in a caravan. And yes I tried to talk him out of it. What was that about passion???

Towering Q
23rd Oct 2005, 07:19
If there was one thing I could ever wish for in the world, it would be to be working in commercial aviation.

Oh no, sounds like one of my pax...."Do you want to fly commercially one day?":{

ani tayas
23rd Oct 2005, 09:33
Towering Q,

I know that question all too well....

I cannot help but let out a big *SIGH* as I wonder whether it's worth trying to explain.....AGAIN.:sad:

Capt. On Heat
23rd Oct 2005, 09:37
How about "When are you going to fly the big planes?"

rmcdonal
23rd Oct 2005, 23:10
Or "Do you have a Licence?" No Im just trying this out for the first time.:{

esreverlluf
23rd Oct 2005, 23:43
I-M-P – if it really is your passion, then you have to give it a go, or you will always wonder what may have been . . . .

Don’t be put off by Kellydog’s saying it is so hard – if you’ve been through uni, you really won’t have a problem with the amount of study. I disagree strongly with his/her comment that that “There aren't many professions that require as much study as airline flying”. Quite the reverse. I would suggest, it’s just that people like to think that they are doing a difficult job – it really ain’t that hard – especially if you enjoy what you are doing!

To quote Henry Ford “Whether you think you can or think you can’t – you’re right”.

Mate - take the job - continue your flying training and keep applying for the cadetships as they come up. Take control of your destiny - remember, you have to make it happen.

limpwindsock
24th Oct 2005, 03:57
My 2 bobs worth would be to take the $50 Grand.

You will spend $1000 + just trying to become a cadet with selection process expenses and sadly the chances of getting in are quite slim.

A point worth considering is commercial flying is not as "fun" as private pilots perceive. Outback locations, rubbish equipment, poor pay, max payload/min fuel, long hours, pay for endorsement etc. And if you don't like it, there are a stack of resumes on the chief pilots desk.

Buy flight sim, hire a plane on the weekend, even buy into a syndicate for a cirrus or something nice. Just remember the passion will eventually fade.

Big risk = huge rewards/ massive losses too.

its_my_passion
24th Oct 2005, 06:15
Thanks to everyone who has replied either here or privately.

kelpie, anyone mate who's 'bright fresh and dandy' at the end of an honours degree really does deserve congratulations. the purpose of my post wasn't to incite debate as to the whole cost-benefit uni vs aviation thing, but rather, to seek a bit of guidance from people who have already walked the path, or are currently walking the path to hopefully become an airline pilot.

Thanks again to all. I've decided to take the job in the raaf as an admino and then get maths and physics part-time before ultimately applying to ADF-PSA and QF Cadet.

"Let us win, but if we can't win, let us be brave in the attempt"

Best wishes to all.

Cheers
;-)

maxgrad
24th Oct 2005, 07:14
Qantassss is not the be all to end all. Have a look around at other choices within the industry.
And no I have not applied to Q and don't intend to. I'm having way too much fun here:ok:

4Greens
24th Oct 2005, 08:35
Go into the Military aviation and get paid to enjoy flying. There will be plenty of airline jobs when you do your twelve years or whatever.