PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Find All My Pictures on my PC?

BRL
22nd Oct 2005, 09:50
Hi all. I have some pictures missing here and I know I have not deleted them, they are just 'lost' somewhere on my hard drive.

Anyone know what to put into the search to find them?

spekesoftly
22nd Oct 2005, 10:23
If you've saved your pictures as jpg files, you could try putting 'jpg' into SEARCH. I've just tried it on my PC (Win XP), and it's still chuntering away! Good Luck.

gas path
22nd Oct 2005, 11:35
Shouldn't that be Start./ Search/ Find files and folders/ and enter *.JPG

BRL
22nd Oct 2005, 11:57
Ahh, easy as that eh! Just typed in JPG and it came back with nearly two-thousand pictures!! Did not find the ones I am after, strange how they have just gone.

Also noticed many of them were there twice although they are in the same folder, My Pictures. :confused:

spekesoftly
22nd Oct 2005, 12:26
Did not find the ones I am after, strange how they have just gone.

Funny things, hard drives! Probably doesn't help you this time, but our routine, after transferring photos from camera flash card to PC, is to always burn a CD of any photos we value. Only then do we delete pics from the flash card.

Likewise, we make a back-up copy of any photo CD that we take to the printers (much cheaper than printing your own). Perhaps a little over cautious, but CDs are dirt cheap, and it saves much anguish, should things go wrong.

Conan the Librarian
22nd Oct 2005, 12:38
Good way of finding errant piccies, is to do that search as mentioned - but if you have lost your files, then they ain't in the usual places. Thus, you can discount files that are where you expect to find them and concentrate on other reported locations.

Another trick, is that your pics from any camera are usually taken sequentially, so if you can identify those files before and after the missing ones, you can then do a more targeted search for the missing pictures of aunt Maud. You have (for instance) >DSC_5015 and <DSC_5215. Therefore, you have those in the missing group to find. Search for something in the middle, like DSC_5115 and you will most probably uncover the other blighters as well.

COnan

WeatherJinx
22nd Oct 2005, 13:00
BRL

Try installing Google's Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/index.html). It'll pull all the image files on your machine into one place. ;) Nice app, too..

Lurk R
24th Oct 2005, 08:30
If the .jpg search didn't work, don't forget other file formats for pictures. e.g. .gif .bmp .tif

If that doesn't find them, you probably accidentally deleted them!