PDA

View Full Version : YSSY R34L Reduced Length Ops - after Curfew on weekendsew

Ozgrade3
22nd Oct 2005, 08:51
On weekends, ie,. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, Rwy 34L has reduced length operations in place due to the work on the General Holmes Drive Tunnel strengthening project. Should be finishe by the end of November.

This means the runway is usually closed north of Bravo 10. The new runway end is marked by 3(I think) red, flush mounted lights, permanenttly set into the runway surface. The required notams are published, and tower advises the reduced runway length in operation with last available exit being Bravo 10 with the landing clearence.

Yet, regular as clockwork, most Friday nights, someone during the night barrels past B10 and the red runway endlights to the consternation of the tower. I guess expecting to roll through to Golf ot the RET B9 They dig a big hole in the runway, so you cant.

My Question is....are the red flush mounted runway endlights clearly visible the mass of lights, beacons etc on the GHD worksite. Do the end lights need to be brighter, more of them??

In short....

Read your NOTAMS.

Listen to the tower instructions.

At night, dont assume, .........lots of works are going on all over the field

Capt Fathom
22nd Oct 2005, 11:33
Are you sure you have read ALL the notams for YSSY Ozgrade?

OperationsNormal
24th Oct 2005, 03:30
If you read all the YSSY notams you will run out of duty time.

missy
24th Oct 2005, 12:50
Its a construction zone at the moment.

Too many NOTAMS issued too far in advance.

Suggest consolidate all the lighting NOTAMS into 1, all the signage (MAGS) NOTAMS into 1 and only issue NOTAMS for construction works to cover the next 30 hours.

About time CASA hit SACL with a big stick and get them to sort the mess out. 6-8 A4 pages of NOTAMS is clearly too many.

rotaryman
26th Oct 2005, 06:48
As a SACL Operations Officer, i guess i am in a position to Comment.

MISSY!

Quote:About time CASA hit SACL with a big stick and get them to sort the mess out. 6-8 A4 pages of NOTAMS is clearly too many.
Unquote:

The requirement for SACL to issue Notams, is a regulatory requirement, laid down by the CASA and Airservices.So how is this SACL fault?

OZGRADE:

I fail to see your Point!

The main 34L/16R runway is made reduced length to facilitate runway tunnel strengthing and Lighting Upgrades and shoulder widening..

1) The pilot is informed Via Notam
2) The pilot is advised again with landing clearance and last available Taxiway.
3) The runway has 3 Red end lights
4) There are works limit cones!!! Witches Hats and Amber flashing work limit lights.
5) No runway lights are illuminanted in the closed section of the runway.

WHAT PART of that are Pilots having a problem with? or DON"T understand?

Cheers..:ok:

missy
26th Oct 2005, 09:45
Rotaryman,

As a SACL Safety Officer you are probably very qualified to make a comment.

I'm sure you would agree that 6-8 A4 pages of NOTAM information is clearly too many.

How is SACLs fault?
I think you would also agree that the numerous SACL restructures over the last few years have done little to enhance operational effectiveness and safety. Perhaps your employer has been more interested in the share market rather than putting resources into the operational areas.

Issuing works plans that are pertinent would be another area that would make NOTAMs easier to read and more importantly understand. Works plans that have different closures and times depending on which night of the week might seem reasonable to the person sitting at a desk who issues it but the management of it beyond that point can, at times, be cumbersome.

I was advocating consolidating NOTAM so that the information relating to runway exit lights is on the same NOTAM, information relating to MAG signs is on the same NOTAM, etc.

When was the last time we asked the users of the information for their thoughts on what is being disseminated?

In a safety related industry it is plainly dumb to have RWY 16L/34R sitting idle when there are works on RWY 16R/34L. There have been at least 6 occurrences relating to curfew runway operations.

When will someone step forward to change this?

When will safety take priority?

Why is it that its not possible to quote a runway with more than 5 knots of downwind fo 17 hours per day but come 11pm its magically OK to quote a runway with 10, 15, 20 or more knots of downwind?

Surely the nation's aviation safety systems are failing 7 hours per day.

rotaryman
26th Oct 2005, 20:10
MISSY:

Quote:How is SACLs fault?
I think you would also agree that the numerous SACL restructures over the last few years have done little to enhance operational effectiveness and safety. Perhaps your employer has been more interested in the share market rather than putting resources into the operational areas.Unquote:

The original post related to Runway and Taxiway works and closures including Notams! You accused SACL of some how being at fault because of this!! you still didn't answer my Question!

How is SACL responsible for the number of Notams? This is a Regulatory Requirement! ? We don't make the rules! we are required to abide by them!

We provide the Closure information to Airservices who produce the Notams!

Works plans are produced by SACL Projects and planning, I agree with your comments to a point, but try working around contractors that are given a 5 hour window of opportunity to complete their works so we may return the runway to full length with out delay!

I have no idea with regard to your Question about the Quoting of Down wind components,, your Question should be directed to Airservices - ATC...

Safety is always a priority at Sydney Airport and as such My collegues and i take our Job very seriously!

Seems its only the G.A Pilots that are having an issue with the works at present? I repeat my previous Question?

1) The pilot is informed Via Notam
2) The pilot is advised again with landing clearance and last available Taxiway.
3) The runway has 3 Red end lights
4) There are works limit cones!!! Witches Hats and Amber flashing work limit lights.
5) No runway lights are illuminanted in the closed section of the runway.

WHAT PART of that are Pilots having a problem with? or DON"T understand?

Airservices in conjuction with Airport Lighting are currently looking at way to turn off The Bravo 9 Ret lights with out impacting on other lighting sections, until that is sorted, the taxiway centre line lights will be blacked out with Tape during the reduced length operation.

It could be also be said that if Pilots took more notice of what they are doing, we woudn't have work site Incursions!!

There are many Airports around the country and indeed the world who are in the process or have completed the A380 Upgrades, sydney airport is no different.
I see both sides of the Argument as a ATPL pilot Myself and as a safety Officer.
I hope this clears up your misunderstandings? :ok: :E

Grog Frog
27th Oct 2005, 03:56
Interesting question,

Does the duty time issue become relevant if you are a pilot and have a second paid job?

i.e . Pilot and Barman
or Pilot and Bus driver
or Pilot and Cook

Hypothetically are you bound by duty time restrictions if you are a Pilot

and pour a few beers at the local Rotary Club picnic
or are a volunteer driver of the Council Community Bus
or help out at the local fundraising sausage sizzle

Where is the line drawn?

Surely it is fitness to do the job. Having a second job probably maintains a better level of fitness than spending your spare time as a Norm (or Norma) emptying a few cold ones whilst perched on the couch vegetating in front of the TV

BTW, unless you crack a regional or better you may need that second job if you have a wife, 3 kids, dog and bank manager to support !!

rotaryman
27th Oct 2005, 07:38
CPlane:

Thanks for the Question?

The short answer is i have a very accomodating Roster based over a standing fortnight.
allows heaps of time to balance the 2.:ok:

Vampire 91
27th Oct 2005, 23:39
Missy

Re your queries on curfew ops at Sydney refer to the Sydney Airport Curfew Act 1995. The requirements have been legislated and getting them changed is near impossible.

Good luck.

the Vampire.:ok:

missy
28th Oct 2005, 02:23
getting them changed is near impossible

That says it all, near impossible so let's not even try. If the Minister was fully aware of what's going on I'm sure he would say "how long has this been happening". I understand that the topic has been brought to the attention of new CEO of Airservices.

Without exception, everyone is responsible for safety.

Yeah right.

Capn Bloggs
28th Oct 2005, 03:23
Rotaryman,

Safety is always a priority at Sydney Airport and as such My collegues and i take our Job very seriously!

I agree with Missy that 6 pages of NOTAMs is not as safe as it could be, by the sounds of it with a little more effor on the part of the drafters they could be improved for the end-user.

rotaryman
28th Oct 2005, 12:00
Capt Bloggs:

Quote: I agree with Missy that 6 pages of NOTAMs is not as safe as it could be, by the sounds of it with a little more effor on the part of the drafters they could be improved for the end-user.Unquote:

We as SACL Operations are required by The regulators! CASA - Airservices- Dept of Transport etc,,,to notifie Brisbane Notams office of all outages, taxiway failures, Faults and works!

Sacl has no imput as to how that information is provided to you the Pilot! I think its very unfair to Blame Sacl in this instance!!

We as Safety Officers work in a Demanding environment! made all the more difficult with the present on going works, we also get very frustrated as you do the Pilots! But don;t shoot the messenger guys!!

vent your Spleen at Airservices!! They produce the NOTAMS..

:ok:

missy
28th Oct 2005, 12:22
vent your Spleen at Airservices!! They produce the NOTAMS From the text as supplied by SACL.