PDA

View Full Version : B747 on a WOBUN dep ex EGLL. U/C Prob?

None of the above
21st Oct 2005, 17:15
I observed a B747 on a WOBUN dep at approximately 1330L this afternoon about 25 track miles along the SID, and the nose gear appeared to be still down. Due to the angle at which I was looking at the aircraft, it was not possible to see if all the gear was still extended. Any news as to whether they got the gear up or returned?
Now this is where I show my age.........
The last time I saw a problem like this, it was on a British Eagle B707 or B720 on roughly the same routing and the aircraft continued to destination, when they eventually managed to retract the gear.
I ask only out of (very) idle curiosity, by the way.

Ta.

N o t a

Gonzo
21st Oct 2005, 18:41
I started at 1430 local today and there was nothing in any of the records or the log.

None of the above
21st Oct 2005, 19:31
OK, thanks for that Gonzo. I must consider the possibility of an optical illusion then but I did get a pretty good look at the aircraft. My attention was drawn to it because it sounded louder than normal although it appeared to be following the SID vertical profile OK.

chiglet
21st Oct 2005, 21:16
Could be "hot brakes"...cooling them....?
watp,iktch

None of the above
22nd Oct 2005, 12:50
Thanks for that, Chiglet.
I have to confess that possibility never crossed my mind.
Nothing seems to have come of it, so I'm assuming all is well.

N o t a

(Edited for spelling error.)

ratarsedagain
22nd Oct 2005, 14:03
.......and there's always the possibility that they got distracted just after rotation, and left the gear down.............................;)

Leezyjet
22nd Oct 2005, 21:39
I saw this climbing out when I was driving into LHR. It was an Air India 744. I watched for as long as I would see it which was probably until around 5dme when I lost sight of it, (bit hard whilst driving as well though) and it had it's gear down for as long as I could see it.

I would just guess that it was hot brakes, although it wouldn't be the first time an f/deck crew has "forgotten" to retract the gear !!!.

:)

barit1
22nd Oct 2005, 22:02
There was once a Bendix Trophy racer who flew halfway across the US with flaps 15 (takeoff position) - and won it spite of it!

None of the above
23rd Oct 2005, 13:37
Thanks Leezyjet.............

At least I now know I wasn't hallucinating!

N o t a