PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Speaker Problem

roach
21st Oct 2005, 15:49
Have I just been unlucky or are laptop speakers know to perform badly? I have an ASUS A3L and to listen to a DVD needs the volume full up and I can still barely hear it.
Can anyone suggest a solution as apart from this issue I am very happy with the spec and performance.

Saab Dastard
21st Oct 2005, 16:26
Have you tried plugging headphones or external speakers in?

If they are OK, then the problem would seem to be with the built-in speakers.

Check in the user manual that there are no other volume controls besides Windows control panel.

Also check that the relevant audio channel is turned up (wave, CD Audio, MIDI) in the control panel.

Be sure that the correct speaker setup is selected in your audio properties (right click system tray icon, adjust audio properties).

hobie
21st Oct 2005, 22:32
My present PC came with a couple of very ordinary external speakers and I must admit the sound level was XXXX ...... I had a set up from my old machine(circ 2000) lying around, consisting of a couple of 3" speakers (13watt) and a subwoofer (27watts) ...... it plugged straight into the PC audio output and I must admit it transformed the sound quality

The manual (ALTEC LANSING ACS340) says ......

"when the ACS340 is not used with a multimedia computer it can serve as an amplified speaker system for CD players, cassette players and various video/audio sources with excellent results"

In other words give it an Audio feed and let it get to work!!!

I think this style of Mini Amplifier is readily available in lots of Stores and at very reasonable prices (I seem to rem even LIDL having a similar setup at a very modest price, a few weeks ago)

mind you its not a very portable solution .... :{

Conan the Librarian
21st Oct 2005, 23:31
A word of warning for those tempted to part with cash for a 5.1 or surround speaker system for their laptops. Most of the time, it won't work.

The line out of most laptops is a 3.5mm jack for stereo only and unless there is a digital out and a digital input on your speakers, you are stuffed.

A lot of the speaker manufacturers put PC use on the box in big bright letters, but this is for a 3 jack output from a standard desktop computer soundcard. I took up the cudgel recently, on behalf of a person who was unhappy. The pedants at company M****n, were trying to assert that a laptop was NOT a PC! You might imagine the fun I had with that one, until they caved in.

Check it out prior to purchase! Me? I pipe my laptop and my main PC through a good home theatre amp (only stereo on the lappy) and am currently enjoying some very high quality Supertramp, care of the Laptop.

Conan

spekesoftly
22nd Oct 2005, 13:43
The pedants at company M****n, were trying to assert that a laptop was NOT a PC!

Damn! Can't decide if that's Map**n or Med**n, or even another? :confused: ;)

Conan the Librarian
22nd Oct 2005, 14:15
Allow me! :-) It wasn't Maplin... It was MEDI*N :-)

Conan

spekesoftly
22nd Oct 2005, 14:50
Thanks Conan! :ok: