PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Chiefs Refuse Own Jet

Capt Stabbin
21st Oct 2005, 00:24
THEY'VE got one of the world's premiere aircraft fleets at their disposal, so why would Qantas high flyers take to the skies in anything else?

Full story -
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16988050-2,00.html

Ultralights
21st Oct 2005, 00:35
simple, because there not paying for it! and they can.

and i wonder when they will stop sacking staff (in a growing airline) to make their record profits? and actually concentrate on running the business like a business, and grow revenue?

gaunty
21st Oct 2005, 01:10
A dumb beat up.

Get real chaps.

They wont be the first and they wont be the last airline to either
use or own a coporate jet for business use.

That's what corporate jets do best and there are thousands of them around the world, provide alternatives not otherwise available on the scheds to the corporate diary.

Yeah right let's pull an aircraft off schedule coz we gotta go now and burn more fuel and time at more expense and see what sort of howl you'd get from the pax and the shareholders .

So why don't we get the same howl when Huge Oil Co Ltd hires a BIG mother coprorate jet to fly an envelope containing a vital oil seal across the country at a cost approaching the national debt of a small third world country.
Simple the cost of not doing was simply unacceptable.

Whilst I don't know what model Citation they used I am pleased to see that the rates are at last starting to reflect som form of reality.

If it was a littleun then the rate is geting close, if it was a bigun then it is a bit light, but it's progress nonetheless.

nike
21st Oct 2005, 02:57
It does seem a little weird that the reason was no QF flights available. And to argue that it was cheaper to charter a plane than take a company one offline is just a red herring.

Take the earlier flight! So what if you get in an hour or two before your meeting.

Guanty, your point on the Oil companies is an entirely different scenario and can't even be compared.

Hardly a dumb beat up considering the current cost cutting exercise. For those affected, this sort of practise is upsetting.

regitaekilthgiwt
21st Oct 2005, 03:03
I disagree Gaunty, I agree with Nike. I bet you any amount of money there was a plane around that was flying that route. The problem being that there may not have been any BUSINESS seats available. And well there is no way these people would sit down the back now is there? I mean surely what’s good for the goose? I think this for once this article is quite a reasonable one. I think it stinks in this age of 'Doom and Gloom' and cost cutting that these so called leaders of the company have such a them and us attitude. It's a real worry...

Capt Claret
21st Oct 2005, 03:22
Buggered which ever route they took, I'd wager.

Miss the appointment (what ever it was) and the head line reads, Uncaring QF management ignore ...."

Honour a previous engagement, as they did, and it's, Qantas chiefs refuse own jets.

Something about a rock & a hard place. :zzz:

nike & regitaekilthgiwt

Are you able to advise what time & date they caught the charter flight so that we can assess the veracity of Mr Gregg's assertion that "there were no commercial flights available."?

Vorsicht
21st Oct 2005, 03:40
This is a classic case of managment going off the rails.

When you run an airline that is going through severe cost cutting that may be having devastating effects on some of the staff that are being made redundant, then the management has to lead by example, no matter what the cost.

If they are that disinterested in the image they (as management) are projecting, that they couldn't manage their time appropriately enough to make the meeting in Melbourne, then that says more for who they are than any amount of backpedalling the CFO says in order to justify the expense.

Ron & Edna Johns
21st Oct 2005, 04:37
Three things:

(1) What was the "obligation", anyone know? That's the word you use when you're going to dinner! Otherwise you use the word "meeting"....

(2) A look at the QF web site shows there are a minimum 11 mainline/regionial flights per day CBR-MEL. What, zero seats were available?

(3) If there really were zero seats available, what about the bloody jump seats? Staff are still allowed to use them... for now... They might have even been able to contribute to the "re-engagement" process.

Spare me...... :suspect:

king oath
21st Oct 2005, 04:50
Ron & Edna.

Since they banned my wife and kids from the jumpseat, no one but no one gets my jumpseat. ESPECIALLY management. I just hope my colleages are doing the same.

Margaret only turns left at the front entry door anyway. She wouldn't ask.

QFinsider
21st Oct 2005, 05:02
Anyone who thinks these clowns actually give a toss about normal employees is living in another galaxy. Wasn't it last year's AGM when the Dame remarked similar to a former French Queen (to paraphrase her) she didn't know what the plebs were complaining about, Qantas was making record profits!

As to the opulence these people enjoy, you should see the amount of seafood , expensive grog and other crap that accompany them wherever they go.. They have been known to alter commercial schedules to suit themselves. Probably can't fit 10 crates of Moet in a Citation with all those fat **ses:mad:

Feel sorry for the poor bastard carting the stinking freight.:E

As King Said, Flight Deck door closed and locked! Jump seat occupied, by either an S/O or my feet:E

By the way the CP allegedly mentioned that if the EBA goes down there will be pictures of Captain's waterfront mansions in the paper pointing out the lifestyle pilot's enjoy. I will bet my bottom dollar we can find a few pictures of crates of champagne, lobster and all manor of alcohol not normally available to business class passengers. maybe a few Citation pictures too:E

longjohn
21st Oct 2005, 08:19
"By the way the CP allegedly mentioned that if the EBA goes down there will be pictures of Captain's waterfront mansions in the paper pointing out the lifestyle pilot's enjoy. I will bet my bottom dollar we can find a few pictures of crates of champagne, lobster and all manor of alcohol not normally available to business class passengers. maybe a few Citation pictures too
king oath Ron & Edna"

What a load of garbage. Whilst there may be a few senior 400 Captains living on the waterfront, your average QF pilot is living with the rest of the burbs.

Of course I am sure Qantas would prefer that we be more willing to accept a Rooty Hill or Campbelltown address like our Jetstar friends..........

Sonny Hammond
21st Oct 2005, 08:47
Mate, I know Capt's, F/O's and S/O's of all airlines that live in the western suburbs.

Don't forget those crew who have bailed to Mel, Bne, Adl, Hba etc etc so they can have a better life.

Waterfront, yeah as I look at my water feature.

regitaekilthgiwt
21st Oct 2005, 12:11
Yep Capt Claret, looks like some people agree with me - as R & E Johns said 11 mainline flights. The article was posted a couple of days after the 18th, so lets say we pick a random day like the 18th (can't look back on records so lets go for the following week, the 25th) and sure enough there is 20 direct/indirect flights from MEL-CBR. WOW! (didn't see any charters there though...:E ) anyhow out of those flights I am sure there would have been a couple of seats. So sorry Capt, but I disagree with you and what they did. Obviously your job isn't under threat from these cronies so their double standards obviously don't worry you. Why do you think that Mr. Gregg didn't say what why they were on their way to CBR and strengthen their case? Perhaps they were on their way to fight the Jet* flight deck duty time issue..........:oh:

21st Oct 2005, 14:02
I am one of those pilots who fly guys like this all arround the world and all I can say is:

If it wasn't for people like them I would not have a job...

Yes they actually SAVE the company money by being more productive.

Unfortunately the media like to "chop off the tall poppy" and GA pilots just get jealous..

If this was America or Europe no one would care...

Get over yourselves

Sonny Hammond
21st Oct 2005, 17:39
GA pilots just get jealous..

You really don't have a clue what this is about, do you?

Howard Hughes
21st Oct 2005, 22:22
And well there is no way these people would sit down the back now is there?
Why should they? Pilots don't! ;)

In fact on occasions pilots have been known to delay aircraft whilst passengers are rearranged, so the precious dears can have seat 1A!!

Come on guys get real, this is a very normal course for executives to take. However, I must agree that the whole line about "no available flights" is CRAP!!

:ok:

Sonny Hammond
21st Oct 2005, 23:21
Actually Howard,

If there is only economy available that is what we go in. Yep its business if its there, but we are supposed to be senior members of the company.
I guess by now we know that this is a throw away line, trying to get more out of us for nothing.

And so what if crew insist upon there contractual entitlement? The company agreed to this certified agreement. If the company didn't try to push the crew into other seats when the good ones are available, the company wouldn't have the problem.

Why does it always become the staffs fault when they stand up for their rights in the face of bullying management?

That is so Australian.

Finally, maybe the flight was delayed cause the crew were required to fly another plane elsewhere, the company WILL cause a delay for that.

One late is better than one on time and one not moving at all.

nomorecatering
22nd Oct 2005, 05:32
Sonny Hammond

"GA pilots just get jealous.....you realy dont have a clue do you"

Is it any wonder that management of QF and for that matter almost any airline around the world, hold pilots in contempt, far from a united front, pilots are too busy bitch slapping each other.........handbags at 10 paces if you please.

Were you once a GA pilot?? or did you start your flying career in the left seat in a 744.

I am surprised that airline managements havet just said, right boys, 70% pay cut...take it or leave it. There would be planty of willing applicants who would take your job at that pay rate. Not that I am advocating that, in anyway but if management sence the pilot community is a disorganised rabble, whats to stop them.

Until pilots are united as a 1 group from Airvan driver to Jumbo driver, management will look on you as easy pickings.

Sonny Hammond
22nd Oct 2005, 05:50
Not sure what your point is there old son.

I was just exclaiming at 123567 insinuation that we are all GA pilots getting jealous about something or other....

I did my time thanks and generally I agree with your view on our contempt for each other.

My only point on this topic is management's choosing to pass over the plethora of choices of paid transport to play rock stars.

Chronic Snoozer
22nd Oct 2005, 06:48
Getting back the article.....what the f@#$% does 'un-Australian' mean these days anyway? A completely over-used and misunderstood descriptor. So the idea of hiring a corporate jet is a totally foreign one? Blatant or perceived overspending/indulgences by management to the detriment of the blue collar workers has never happened in Australia???

A beat up alright. Snouts at the trough aside, it is ironic that board members seem to be the only 'workers' that manage to keep their salaries rising. Don't exactly see them 'undercutting' each other to get the best seat on a board....food for thought.

Howard Hughes
22nd Oct 2005, 07:54
Sonny,

If you re-read my post, I am not having a go at any negotiated entitlement, I am having a go at the skygods who insist on sitting in 1A. There is no rational reason for delaying a flight just so Captain Prima Donna can have 1A.

I think Victor Kiam summed it up best when he said "The back of the plane arrives a the same time as the front". I don't know about you but I am, happy to have a seat, if it happens to be at the front of the aircraft, then that's a bonus.

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Sonny Hammond
22nd Oct 2005, 09:42
Point taken.

BTW I generally find your posts balanced and well thought out.

MASP
23rd Oct 2005, 06:12
Children, really! Mr Orwell explained the situation: all airline industry animals are equal; it's just that some are more equal than others.

rammel
23rd Oct 2005, 06:39
While I work for QF I don't think that anyone begrudges senior management of a large company using a private jet for business.

What I think the point that should be focused on is that they are senior execs of a major airline with plenty of flights on this route. Because of this they could/should have organized themselves better.

It also shows how out of touch of reality they have become if they did not think this would be an issue.

Mr.Buzzy
23rd Oct 2005, 10:01
Flying to the "important meeting" isn't the issue..... Finding a safe ride home after telling 3500 staffies to start looking for work is another matter!!!!!

bbbbbzzzzzzbbbbbbbzzzgreedypigszzzzzzzzzz

4SPOOLED
25th Oct 2005, 05:31
meh....

if the boot where on the other foot im sure most of you would take the private jet aswell.

Status wealth and power are something that most people would love and few of us find.

Yeh im inspiring for Airlines in the future, you take the good with the bad. Times are changing the 80's and 90's are long gone, at the end of the day would you rather a job, or a broke Airline similar to Ansett and going from the left seat to a right seat on a regional turbo prop, if they hire you.

Qantas may be posting record profits, but how much is that due to depreciation of the fleet and other assets....times are tough, unless they evolve fast to meet the threat of the low cost carrier, or offer more value for pax then the kangeroo may become a thing of the past.