PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon slots for Ab Initios

young_lad
20th Oct 2005, 22:15
I've heard on the grapevine that at todays role disposal, the first Eurofighter Typhoon Slot was given out to an RAF Ab Initio student. I also hear that the individual involved is the best student to ever go through RAF FJ training ;).

It appears being an SA-8 Lizard at NFTC isn't all that bad after all!!!

Well done TCG.

Matt Skrossa
21st Oct 2005, 07:38
If the rumour on the grapevine is true, then very well done to him/her. However, looking at some of the egos flying around in these fora the quote 'I also hear that the individual involved is the best student to ever go through RAF FJ training' will be disputed by many!

jindabyne
21st Oct 2005, 08:19
I thought that was me - or possibly Beagle

6Z3
21st Oct 2005, 09:02
When all the eligible very high fliers are lined up, to determine who gets the SSFJ slot the role disposal board should ask themselves: Who is not capable of working as part of a team within a crew environment - dispatch these weaker ones to Typhoon.

Bob Viking
21st Oct 2005, 09:31
Come on mate, you're going to have to try a lot harder than that to get a bite!
Such an obvious attempt at fishing. Loser.
BV

JNo
21st Oct 2005, 11:11
young_lad -> check your PMs

BEagle
21st Oct 2005, 11:17
Definitely wasn't me!

Good luck to the mate who gets the first ab-initio TypHoon slot though!

L Peacock
21st Oct 2005, 16:45
Perhaps you need to slog around in an F3 for a few years to fully appreciate Typhoon!

iccarus
21st Oct 2005, 18:02
Well done indeed to the lucky young man/woman!!

Flap62
21st Oct 2005, 18:02
Frankly if you

slog around in an F3 for a few years

then you'd appreciate a corporation bus, never mind a typhoon.

The Rocket
21st Oct 2005, 19:24
B'Dum Tish,

Thank you very much Ladies and Gentlemen, Flap 62 will be here all week...........

Zoom
22nd Oct 2005, 18:06
Since some bright spark has been able to establish who is the best student...etc, could he also let us know who is/was* the worst?

* More likely 'was'.

Lafyar Cokov
23rd Oct 2005, 05:29
I thought I was the best pilot to go through FJ AFTS - right up until the point I was chopped - still, who needs to know how to land anyway!!!!

Wingswinger
23rd Oct 2005, 07:09
You can't have been! It was me I tell you! And the Gnat was the best aeroplane to do it in!

Anyway, good luck to the lad/lassie. Watching the little piece about the 'phoon on the BBC got the blood up and set my pulse racing. Wish I was 25-30 years younger. You lucky b******s! :ok:

singleseatadnav
25th Oct 2005, 23:29
The time of the piston has passed and all of you legacy platform losers need to change your colostomy bags and trade in your zimmer frames, Embrace technology.

We look forward to accepting the first ab-initio Nav on Typhoon. Its only a matter of time until they realise that the jet will fly itself and they need some SA in the cockpit.

Bring on the 1 winged master race!! To fight it is futile.

:cool:

navibrator
26th Oct 2005, 07:29
Well done to anyone who gets posted to Typhoon. There is nothing better than being at the front end of the RAF.

Oh, and as an AD nav, (and yes you can post all the F3 jokes you like but I didn't make it), I can't wait to read the pilot banter when the first UCAV is made operational.

"What goes around comes around"

PMA's Toy
26th Oct 2005, 09:20
Its only a matter of time until they realise that the jet will fly itself and they need some SA in the cockpit.

They already know that; that's why it's being flown by a bunch of single-seat capable pilots with stick skills AND SA ;)

Why have one when you can have both?

MrBernoulli
26th Oct 2005, 09:20
UCAV or not, there will ALWAYS be a majority of aircraft manned by pilots. Can't say the same for Navs or WSOs or whatever the name-of-the-month is.

ALWAYS!

FrogPrince
26th Oct 2005, 15:10
So if I read the tenor of the Military Aircrew forums correctly...

1. In ten year's time the RAF will cease to exist, having been re-absorbed into the Army / Navy. Total Regular manpower will fit in Wembley Stadium.

2. All of the Air Combat Group tasks will be performed by UCAV / UAV, 'flown' by JNCO's of the AAC / Royal Artillery (Playstation Generation). Typhoon will be 'enabled' as a CAO / ASO UCAV. The distinction between ASO and SAOO will have disappeared.

3. The Army Air Combat Support Group will have a cadre of Regular FW / RW pilots supported by a pool of reservists who fly Easyjet / Robinson R22 Mon-Fri. RN will be similar.

4. No longer being a separate arm, the UAS's will no longer exist. Army Cadets AEF's will also offer 'joyrides' to suitable students from the OTC's and RNRU's. The MFTS contract will be run from Northern Cyprus - cheapest PFI bidder.

5. The Territorial Army will perform the role previously undertaken by the RAF Regiment in time of war, but only on Saturdays and Sundays and mid week evenings.

6. SAR will be a post code lottery, depending on which service provider is closest to your own personal catastrophe and has an available flyable airframe. Expect to be invoiced for your rescue on '30 Days Net'.

7. Securicor will raise and lower the barriers at the few remaining 'super' Defence Airbases, which have 'dual use' runways for the charter airlines.

Have I missed anything ?

Duncan D'Sorderlee
26th Oct 2005, 17:33
Well done, Chesney.

:ok: ;)

High_Expect
30th Oct 2005, 08:34
Wasn't sure the Voice Control System was advanced enough to understand such an accent! I guess in doubt you could always just talk a bit louder!!! :mad:

Anyway congrats mate! Enjoy your hold! and hold and hold. ;)