PDA

View Full Version : Hero Instructor

Aeronut
20th Oct 2005, 21:59
EXCLUSIVE: HERO OF THE NIGHT
Civvy pilot Syd risks his life to circle above downed fliers

A FLYING instructor in a tiny plane guided rescuers to an RAF crew who ejected into the sea from their stricken jet. Syd Utting bravely circled his two-seater Cessna above the two men - despite running low on fuel - to guide in the helicopters and lifeboats hunting for them.

Syd's role in the rescue emerged yesterday hours after the men were forced to eject from the £20million Tornado before it ditched into the sea.

The 38-year-old former RAF engineer was on a training flight in the Dundee area on Friday night when he was asked for his help by air traffic control at RAF Leuchars, in Fife, the jet's base.

He agreed to join the rescue effort, despite his plane only having a flying time of three hours. Syd said last night: "We were able to track the approximate location of the plane using radar.

"When we got there, we could see what looked like an oil slick, which was obviously aviation fuel.

"I thought I saw a dinghy and was contacting Leuchars when a red flare shot up into the sky. One of the airmen had fired it off to let me know he had seen us circling above him.

Syd was a Halton appo (LTA to the 147 Entry) and was (still is!) a bloody good bloke

If you read this Syd - nice one.

Gugnunc
21st Oct 2005, 13:10
http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194277&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

Already being discussed in Mil Aircrew

Genghis the Engineer
21st Oct 2005, 13:29
Well, if he did run out of fuel and ditch, at-least he'd know the Helo was on it's way.

Seriously, good show.

Bit worrying mind you that it took the Helo an hour to get there, where is the nearest SAR station up there?

G

mad_jock
21st Oct 2005, 13:53
gengis I believe thats a bit of a sore point.

I believe its either PIKor Kinloss

:D And a slight technical point the Tayside C150's arn't fitted with any form of Radar. I presume it was Luchars providing the vectors.

And I am sure that at no point, Syd would have put himself or his student under any increased danger compared to strapping yourself in a cessna 152 anyway. Its just not the way he operates.

Anyway good on you syd and i hope the student didn't have pay for the extended lesson.

MJ