PDA

View Full Version : Zaria

Malcolm G O Payne
20th Oct 2005, 20:48
Just over ten years ago I was amember of aan ICAO team that spent a month at NCAT Zaria working on a Master Plan to revitalise the College. I have often wondered if the powers that be took any notice of our proposals. Can anyone give an indication of the current activity there?

chuks
20th Oct 2005, 21:39
There have been sporadic attempts to revive it but ...

The last time I was there I sneaked a peek into the hangar to find two (2) Raytheon Beech Baron 58s with everything, including full de-icing (v. useful for flight above FL150, I suppose, and/or for getting the price right up there when 'ten-percenting,' choose one).

And there was a fleet of Socata TB-9 Tobago 'Club' trainers. That would be the version without any night capability, so v. useful for training, not.

And anyway there is no Avgas easily available, although I did see a bit on local TV featuring one Baron taking to the skies amid much blah-blah.

Well, the Nigeria Air Force has about 20 new Schweizer 300 training helicopters just sat around at Port Harcourt NAF Base, most out in the weather and not even assembled, also needing Avgas that is not available.

So things are not exactly perking along on the training front, I think it would be fair to say.

On the other hand, someone has brought in 3 used Cessna 150/152 aircraft, supposedly to do training. And they can run on Mogas, I believe.

Flying Touareg
21st Oct 2005, 14:50
thanks. Actually i have the jepp one. just wanted to be sure it is reliable.I will be flying to kano on sunday for a short term contract. any additional info on kan airport will help.

femialpha
22nd Oct 2005, 19:53
Hey Chuks, I'm curious as to why the NAF needs 20 training helos. Do you have any idea or is this just one of those reckless acquisitions? Thanks.

Amadu
10th Nov 2005, 15:02
i was at zaria today and they are conducting a two week interview for the spl 23 course. I understand the plan is to pick 36 students representing each state and the states have agreed to fund each person that qualifies. 7.3m naira. There are about 114 candidates now seeking for 36 vacancies.
Training will commence dec/jan.