PDA

View Full Version : Management Pilots

skol
20th Oct 2005, 19:06
What is is that motivates management pilots?
Can't be the money. Is it the power that they imagine they wield toeing the company line and then often end up being despised by their (ex) mates? Do they suffer from delusions of grandeur that they're going to be the next General Manager when their talents are recognised? Not many have ever lasted that long. Probably recognised that senior managment in all airlines don't like pilots anyway. Maybe it's having the 'inside info'.
Plenty of downside.
Phone calls at all hours of the night from some remote outpost asking for a written dispensation. Some I've known have ended up with health problems after months and sometimes years of pressure to balance the budget. Getting into the car and going to spend 8 hrs at the office usually early in the morning to avoid traffic. Attending meetings, writing reports etc., ad infinitum.
The ones most vilified usually are the ones that work for the union and then go to management.
Most of the time these jobs don't attract the sharper knives in the drawer because no one wants them.

awyamuppet
21st Oct 2005, 00:25
Sounds like the managment at Airwork! Getting pilots to stretch the mins or sack them......:E

gas-chamber
21st Oct 2005, 07:29
Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach, criticise.
In order of the above - management pilot, training pilot/instructor, check pilot/line pilot.

Some management and check pilots are on a power trip for sure, but so are a lot of ordinary pilots who adopt the 'captain' title (on the business card or in the phone book - seen that one, too). Some do it for money, some do it for the brain stimulus. Some are even smart enough to think ahead in case they need to secure an advantage when the poo hits the fan and they have to find another job. Everyone has their own reason.

If it bugs you, why don't you ask him if he was born an asshole, or just grew that way because of the job?

Continental-520
21st Oct 2005, 12:03
Don't be so quick to tar them all with the same brush.

Some do it for the experience, believe it or not. To see how one would fare themselves in a management role, to add more to the "I've done this" list, etc.

I know I did it for the experience of it and enjoyed it. Much to be learned indeed, and much was learnt. I know others who have done it and are doing it for the same reason(s).

It is possible to be in a management role without being perceived as a menace, ar$ehole, parasite, etc. In fact, it is more than possible to win your suboordinates' respect.

It must be earned though, and not demanded.

Capt. On Heat
22nd Oct 2005, 00:05
"Why do they do it?"

For the women! (Unless they are a woman......maybe)

jon s gull
25th Oct 2005, 21:57
Is altruism dead today? Attitudes like this could make me ashamed to associate myself with proffessional piloting.If you no longer believe in duty .responsability,and service, dont discount it in others.The heritage of flying derring do which first attracted many of us to this industry was once linked to these other qualities and not just induvidual egos.Still nobody's perfect so Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Skaal

Cloud Cutter
25th Oct 2005, 22:40
If you want to see someone's true personality, put them in a position of power.

There are some extremely good management pilots arround, and I for one am greatfull for the hard work they put in. As for the not so good ones, they don't seem to last long.

waav8r
26th Oct 2005, 02:28
Jon S Gull
Altruism is today - thankfully becoming scarcer, and the ones who cry out for it occasionally don't know exactly WHAT it is that they want, or more commonly - are members of the "back to the caves" movement too far to the left in the political scene to be taken seriously by anyone with the remnants of a brain. I hope that you are a member of the first group. Do a Google search and find out what it really means or read this from an online dictionary:

-"an ethical doctrine that holds that individuals have a moral obligation to help others, if necessary to the exclusion of one's own interest or benefit. One who holds such a doctrine is known as an "altruist."

To the point of the thread - I reckon being a managment pilot is actually rewarding in its own right and what's more - it gives you another leg to stand on when leaner times are around.

jon s gull
26th Oct 2005, 11:46
Waav8r
you seem to suffer from the same problem as Skol,believing that you are somehow better than others. I am well aware of the meaning of a great many multi syllable words including sarcasm and relevance. So to the thread. Aviation in most of its forms exists not mainly for the benefit of the pilot , rather it is a service industry. Charter , RPT , Ag , freight , military & training all exist solely by demand of the client. This of course is fortuitous for those of us wanting to play with the big toys earn the big bucks and dress up , it is possible however that you could genuinely desire to help the client acheive their goals. This of course could involve going out of your way or some extra effort for no extra pay. If this excellence is recognised by promotion or added responsability .It is Earned.If a pilot is unwilling to be of service to the client then they fail in their purpose. ciao