PDA

View Full Version : Bell 205 Crashes in NZ (3 Dead)

Pac Rotors
4th Jun 2001, 11:34
Wanganui Aerowork's Bell 205 crashed at approx 6.00pm local time this evening (an hour and a half ago)

Pilot Simon Green was killed along with two other crew members. This is the second 205 crash in as many weeks. Lakeland Helicopters lost their one a couple of weeks ago when the chain snapped and it rebounded up through the belly, severing all the control cables. Pilot Jimmy Schewin was very very lucky.

This industry sucks at times.

sling load
4th Jun 2001, 12:19
PAC ROTORS,

I know youre trying to do the right thing by letting us all know, but you should be careful about releasing the name of the pilot only an hour and a half after the accident, have all of his relatives been contacted? Do you know this information? People ive spoken to said the name of the driver has not been released yet until relatives have been contacted...........

[This message has been edited by sling load (edited 04 June 2001).]

Pac Rotors
4th Jun 2001, 12:44
Thanks for the post. Yes I spoke to his employer directly and he confirmed it was Simon. I also know the names of the others but didnt say them as their relatives still hadnt been notified. Simons wife was told not long after it.

It is also common knowledge all through the industry as well. Its one of the advantages / disadvantages of living in a country where the helo industry is very close knit.

before landing check list
4th Jun 2001, 21:24
Pac, I hope you will not say it crashed because it was a "military helo as you so eloquently mentioned in a prior post. Ever think it was a load rigging problem? Doubt it. And I would wait a bit before you spread names just because you are able. You hope you are not one of those scum sucking, slightly exaggerating (lying?)"journalist" who seize upon misfortune as a buzzard on a possom on the road side? And are you even in the industry?
Tell me it not so.

If I am wrong about the journalist part I humbly apologise. Just no names next time.
j

[This message has been edited by before landing check list (edited 04 June 2001).]