PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Wilma

Panama Jack
19th Oct 2005, 18:02
As I check the internet today, I read that Hurricane Wilma is now the most intense Atlantic Storm ever recorded.

A quick note from you crack-up and flufdriver after storm passage letting us know that you are OK would be much appreciated. In the meantime, good luck! :ok:

Flyrr100
19th Oct 2005, 18:07
I'm in Central Florida. I thought we'd been missed this year.
Oh well.... up with the boards again.
:mad:

flufdriver
19th Oct 2005, 21:49
Yeah! she cut us by surprise, yesterday afternoon I was discussing the situation with my neighbors, we were of the opinion that this was not going to be anything to worry about.

By the time I got home last night Wilma had become a full blown killer, she is now well to the west of Cayman, we're having some rain and squalls and some high seas but nothing more. As of 1pm (18:00 UTC) today Wednesday, the Govt. has lifted the hurricane warning and replaced it with a "severe Weather alert"

We've cancelled the am Miami & Jamaica flights but will operate this afternoon and evening, MIA, KIN, HAV

I am reasonably certain that I won't have to water my garden tomorrow.

Itswindyout
20th Oct 2005, 07:49
Fluff and others from the "windy" sunshine state....

I am scheduled to be in Tampa, on 5th Nov, then on a western carib cruise for 7 days....

Is it policy for the cruise lines to canx, under post hurricane weather condition.

And lastly does your crystal ball predict smooth seas, for that week...and good diving conditions....

Windy

Panama Jack
20th Oct 2005, 08:52
Meteorology has always been a fascinating science. If only it didn't have such severe consequences.

In Nicaragua, officials and weather observers were very concerned about a worse-than Hurricane Mitch repeat-- the Hurricane Wilma initially had very similar features and positioning to Mitch, only it was much stronger. In Central America, international estimates put the death toll at approximately 10,000 persons, with another 9000 missing.

In the end, a weak Pacific high has caused Wilma to push the Hurricane northwards. Nevertheless, due to hurricanes' sometimes erratic behavior, weather watchers are not letting their guard down quite yet.

http://www-ni.laprensa.com.ni/nacionales/nacionales-20051020-16.jpg

CaptW5
20th Oct 2005, 17:43
Thanks for that PJ, I wondered about that (and was even going to ask about your neck of the woods).

flufdriver
23rd Oct 2005, 02:55
itswindyout:

I would hope that by Nov. 5th everything ought to be back to normal, unless of course tropical depression # 25 hangs around to make our life difficult.

Most of the time this is really nice time of the year, except when some storm decides to churn up the Caribbean, which seems to happen more frequently these days.

And yes, the cruise lines do cancel when "things" are looking to go "bump"

CaptW5
26th Oct 2005, 00:12
How did everybody make out?