Gunship
19th Oct 2005, 11:50
By Donwald Pressly

A decision was likely in the next four to six months on the future marketing
of Denel Aviation's Rooivalk attack helicopter, Denel's CEO Shaun Liebenberg
has said.

Addressing the National Assembly public enterprises portfolio committee,
Liebenberg said the state arms parastatal had an obligation to deliver 12
Rooivalks "operationally ready" for the defence force.

"Once they are delivered they have to be looked after - and it is going to
be around for 30 years. We therefore can't close the Rooivalk (programme).
We need to support the (South African) Defence Force in terms of
maintenance."

However, he said the question was whether there was life "beyond the (South
African) Air Force."

"The commitment (of management) is that we will continue to communicate as
far as the Rooivalk is concerned."

He noted that Denel - which he acknowledged was under funding and budgetary
pressures - had a roadmap with "clear gates" through which the project had
to pass. If it could not achieve opportunities once it reached those gates
at the appropriate points, "then we will no longer market the Rooivalk on
the open market. These issues should be cleared in the next six months".

He emphasised that the project could not just "hang around" indefinitely.

I-Net Bridge

From www.saairforce.co.za

MysticFlyer
20th Oct 2005, 11:59
Denel should learn from the Dassault bid i.t.o Singapore and their fighter selection

The decision not to go with their 5th generation fighter , but with the F15's, indicates the latter's persuasive government.

Great product the Rooivalk, but one should work WITH America, no loose statements by heads' of State. They should also Shaik all the corrupt ones out and Zuma them in a bin!

B Sousa
20th Oct 2005, 13:56
Having seen the Rooivalk, its a sad situation. The aircraft is a good machine. Problem is that its best guess 10-15 years old now and is not selling. Companies cannot continue that road even if they are funded by the taxpayer.
I understand the national pride concern. "Built by South Africans in South Africa". Realistically speaking few countries worry about that anymore. The world is a mixed match of what is the best deal out there.

Gunship
20th Oct 2005, 15:28
Bert it might have been 10-15 years "old" but for it's time there was nothing to beat it.

unless the propaganda was so good I was at briefings and stuff "those days" and the A pach ie was not a patch mate.

I am sure with updates this could still be a lean, mean killing machine. Just as the 'mericans do with the A patch here and there :E

B Sousa
20th Oct 2005, 19:47
Guns,
I agree. My point was that its not selling for whatever reason, and time is passing it by. Also the continuing deep pocket is getting smaller.
AND where is the threat that justifies the expense. Lots of neat toys can be obtained cheaper these days that will do the "required" job.
Its like the Commanche program in the states. Sweeeeet aircraft, but there is no threat out there today that justifies the expense of such a machine. So its back in the box.

Gunship
21st Oct 2005, 13:47
Where there is no threat you oke's make a threat ... and display your toys - come on Burt ... the Commanche was a great project -where is your next deployment when the project can fill the coffers of your honourable statesmen ?

Sorry I am mixed up with Africa now :E

Spetsnaz
21st Oct 2005, 13:53
I know some people have said the Rooivalk is good, but most have them have been South Africans. Is it really? It looked like a conglomerate of parts stuck together, consisting of old French helicopter bits with a fancy body and some more interesting electronics - not to mention a fat cannon in the nose. How is it better than an EC Tiger or Mi-24 'Hind' (pretty old itself now!).

Maybe price and pride are really the biggest factors?

Gunship
21st Oct 2005, 14:21
Mate nothing can beat a Mi-24 for price.

What you get is another story. If someone wants to open a can of worms work out why so many Mi-24 / 17's and 8's crash.

We where just about 99% sure that the engines on the crashed 24 I was in was overhauled - the Ukrainian way : Resprayed :E

Saying that - it is ok fro Africa - it makes moerowe noise and the 7-8 nose down position during flight makes any new rebel think twice.

Saying that - after flying it fr 5 odd years we could never syncro the rockets to fire in a tight group. (Which again might work nicely in the Africa situation).

The 12,7 mm 4 barrel Shuka is a piece of sheit ... man when it works it will give you the best horing on earth ... Nellis ? what was it ? 4 000 rounds per min ?? Damn - greay matter again.

Anyway - great machine - damn heavy - smoke like hell and works well when the engines works well.

Not an aircraft for newby's - I think 400 was written off in Iraq in the Soviet times.

Sometimes I miss the bietch :p

B Sousa
21st Oct 2005, 14:32
Mate nothing can beat a Mi-24 for price.
Good one Cassie. let me get this straight. Its a great item for the price, BUT.
1. most of the engines fail??
2. The Rockets cant be put on target properly?
3. The chin gun is a piece of ??
And your experienced in the machine.
If I remember correctly from the Cobra perspective, I could stick rockets on target within 20 meters at 2000 meters. The mini gun was usually right on the money and depending if it was a combination (turret had two guns) with 40 MM grenades, it was very accurate. Missles also were a never miss.
Problem is Uncle Sugar is not handing out the old Cobras...
I also think that the Cobra could out manuver the MI-24, dont know about speed. We could get 135 degrees of roll and 95/95 up or down.
Just a comparison Cassie, no need to start a war.......

Gunship
21st Oct 2005, 14:53
Uncle Bert my war days are finished ... just luv a good argument :ok:

My grey matter is still far away but I used to carry :

4 x 80 Mm rocket pods with 20 in each.

1750 rounds of 12,7 mm in the nose.

A co-jock / navigator / translator

And two side gunners in the back with a range of 2 hours.

Then (as I said) the price.

We talk less than $2mil a piece bru ... soi can put up 20-30 machines for a Rooivalk / A pachie hier en daar / Cobra ...

Catching the drift ?

Ah sorry forget the gunners have 7,62 \'s with 2 spare barrels and lots of amo.

A pax or two has been known to be in the back as well but you have to contact my partner for that verification :E