View Full Version : FAA ATP Conversion...

Azzurri
19th Oct 2005, 01:49
Hello folks,

I need to do an FAA ATP Licence conversion...right now. My multi/IFR FAA rating (or whatever its called) will be conducted on the BD-700 Global Express in Montreal.
Could you please tell me who to contact, where to go, what books, and anything else I need to do.
I have heard of www.AllATP.com, and of the Gleen manuals. However, the American terminology is slightly different to what I'm used it.
Please help, and thank you in advance.

Azzurri

flyinggromit
19th Oct 2005, 14:07
What are you looking for exactly?
Regards,
flyinggromit.

Azzurri
19th Oct 2005, 14:26
Hello there,
I currently have a Canadian ATPL and need to get the FAA equivalent. So far, my understanding is that I need to do the written exam, then, do an FAA flight test concurrent with the type rating I'll be doing on the BD700.
Is there an all-encompassing manual or book to help me out with the studying etc.? Where do I go to do the technical groundschool for the FAA ATPL?
Azzurri

juventus
19th Oct 2005, 17:08
Azzurri , you don t need any ground school just buy the ATP test prep from ASA I think you can find that in italy at one of the big aviation book store and then if you go on faa web site it should have a list of test center where you can take the exams, there are some in europe as well. Hope this help.
P.S. the test is pretty easy compared to Jaa or canadian.

NZLeardriver
20th Oct 2005, 03:10
You can do all of the prep online with http://www.dauntless-soft.com/ . I gather it's pretty cheap and effective.

upontop325
21st Oct 2005, 19:34
From my personal experience the way to go is Gleim. Gleim has every single test question right from the FAA's database with all the answers (including explanations for each answer). The book is broken down into sections as follows:

1. Common questions - which all applicants will see

2. Part 121 - for people who are writing the 121 exam

3. Part 135 - for people who are writing the 135 exam

When you go to write the exam you specify to the tester which part you are applying for and the computer will randomly select 100 questions from the common ones and whichever part you are writing.

When you get to the exam you have seen every possible question. More than likely you will recognize at least 70 percent of the questions without having to read them all the way through!!!

I have used the Gleim books for every single exam I wrote in the US and have passed every one easily.

You simply need to show your Canadian ATPL to the tester to be admitted for the exam.

Hope that helps, best of luck!

Azzurri
28th Oct 2005, 04:22
Thank you very much everybody for your reponses. I've got the 'Gleim' book and am preparing to write the exam in Las Vegas after doing the day-long ALLATPS course.
Am doing the FAA medical on Monday in Montreal...wish me luck.

Azzurri
11th Nov 2005, 05:12
Hi folks,
Just a quick update: My FAA medical is out of the way, and I am back from Los Angeles where I completed the FAA ATP written yesterday! (went to the LongBeach AllAtps office).

Now, I'll be doing my check ride in the Global Express Sim in Montreal to complete my FAA certification and would like to ask if anybody has any tips or info regarding questions asked by the examiner. Would it be worth it to buy the FAA Check ride manual or whatever it's called? Remember, I'm not American, but need the FAA ticket to work overseas, so all the American lingo is kinda new to me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Azzurri

mjbow2
11th Nov 2005, 14:22
Azzuri,

A good place to start would be the FAA ATP practical test standards. You can get a copy of these from Sportys, Jeppesen, or ASA. All available over the web.

Flight planning for your aircraft.
Alternate requirements. (part 135/121)
Systems, limitations etc
MEL BD700
performance BD700
weight and balance BD700
privilages and limitations of ATPL licence holder (part 61 of regs)

The Practical Test Standards will give you a fairly good clue on what knowlegde/skills you will have to demonstrate in the sim and in an oral.

Best of luck.
MJB

Azzurri
12th Nov 2005, 00:00
mjbow2,

Thanks for the response. On your advice, I ordered the Practical Test Standards Book, and the Oral Exam Guide as well. I think both are by 'ASA'. Anyhow, they'll be shipped Monday from www.aviationworld.ca's Toronto address.

Hopefully these two manuals should address my questions and concerns. I'm looking forward with great pleasure to my supposed 5 hour check ride. ;o)

A.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
14th Nov 2005, 16:26
Azzurri can you give to me more info about Global Express Sim in Montreal?
Thanks
Riccardo

Azzurri
15th Nov 2005, 04:37
Mr. Volante,

I sent you a PM...Feel free to contact me for further information.

A.