PDA

View Full Version : EGPWS Borneo Covereage

212man
19th Oct 2005, 01:43
Does anyone have experience of using EGPWS in the Borneo region? How complete is the database and what level of nuisance/spurious warnings do you encounter?

Cheers

ikan_terbang
19th Oct 2005, 06:06
No a regular basis the EGPWS terrain function is set on overide on sectors between BKI and TWU. Also the ILS let down at TWU causes the EGPWS to trigger on the procedure turn inbound to the ILS.

From TWU ti BKI on the descent the terrain function triggers...need to be aware all the time

Skyline
21st Oct 2005, 10:17
As far as I have seen, the database is complete over Borneo. Minor obstacles like 400ft high radio mast are all included.

Spurious warnings are usually triggered at Tawau and approaching KotaKinabalu AP when decending over the terrain from the east. Elsewhere, on the ILS, there haven't been much nuisance warnings.

However, nuisance/spurious warnings are high and almost a norm when conducting VFR flights and approaches into rural airfields on GA operations such as those on the Dornier or Twin Otter.

However all these flights on the Dornier and TwinOtter operating into the interior are conducted in full VFR.

212man
25th Oct 2005, 04:50
Thanks guys; most helpful

Touch'n'oops
25th Oct 2005, 10:51
That's funny. I have flown the full ILS proceedure into TWU and never had a GPWS alert.

HOW FAST ARE YOU GUYS DESCENDING???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

212man
27th Oct 2005, 00:20
Touch,
I assume you have standard GPWS and they have EGPWS?